PDA

View Full Version : how many settling-in sessions do you offer?

newandlearning
18-06-2010, 08:38 PM
hi everyone..

I'm wondering how many settling-in sessions do you offer for babies..
rather 7 months to 1 year...

I offer my sessions as free sessions but wonder how many sessions you
offer and for how long? ie. a few hours or whole days?

The Juggler
18-06-2010, 08:40 PM
i offer 4 hours free to be used as parent wishes. after that any more needed are paid for:)

snufflepuff
18-06-2010, 08:51 PM
I do 2 free sessions- the first one about an hour and the second about 2 hours. If the parent wants more i charge for it.

TheBTeam
18-06-2010, 08:55 PM
I dont have a set amount, i judge each case as i go along. I will offer around 1/2 to an hour suggesting that the parent might like to pop down to our little local sainsburys and then come back.

For a second visit I have the child for an hour or two and especially if the child is quite young on either a second or third visit i ask for it to be over a milk/meal time so that i can see whether they are likely to be okay feeding with me.

I may offer a third or fourth session as necessary depending on the child/parent. I dont charge for any settling in sessions but do point out to parents that they are just short sessions, any more than that isnt settling and would need paying for, I had one mum want five full days settling!

Millenium
18-06-2010, 08:59 PM
I charge normal rates for settling in sessions. However, in my contracts I have it written that if either side feel it is not working they can end the contract without notice if it is within the first month. After that, the 28 day notice period applies.

In answer to your question, I normally suggest that on the first session, the parents stay for about 30 minutes.

singlewiththree
19-06-2010, 06:41 AM
I offer 4 hours free then they have to pay. Parents are usually willing to pay for as many as they feel their child needs as they want to ensure their child is fully settled before leaving them. To be honest I've had 2 parents just visit for a chat and then the next time they have left the child to start the contract as they left finding childcare late. Other parents I have seen gradually as they had loads of time so they attended the same toddler groups as me and sat next to me and I interacted with their child in that setting, then they came for a cuppa a few times, once to chat, once to sign contracts, one to finalise bits and bobs then mum left them for a session then the contract begins. Both work well for me. I do like the gradual approach though as you get to know the parent and an idea of whether it is going to work or not before you even begin. :)

onceinabluemoon
19-06-2010, 06:48 AM
I would charge normal rate for settling in sessions, after all I'm working normally and am not in the habit of giving free places...

But... I've never had a parent who wanted or needed them.

My contracts state in the first 28 days either party can cancel with immediate effect if it's not working out though so it sort of evens out IYSWIM.

wellybelly
19-06-2010, 06:55 AM
I had a baby due to start from 8 months old. I offered several, actually 6-7 settling sessions over the course of 4 months. The baby was then familiar with me, the other children and my home. It was lovley, from day one then and very reassuring for the parents. I offered 2-3 hour sessions at different times of the day e.g. during school runs, over lunch, mornings and afternoons. I did'nt charge because the sessions fit in with me and my routine and enabled me to build a relationship with a child before they came full time. I have had children especially babues start without settling in sessions and it caused me and the child a lot of stress. Day 1 was great with this situation.

margaret
19-06-2010, 08:31 AM
I build up from 2hrs -4hrs ,half days - full day month before child starts ,more if that is what parents want ,but i charge for all ,no free sessions.

Heaven Scent
19-06-2010, 10:19 AM
I judge each case on its own merits and never ever charge - i feel a content relaxed child pays dividends once the contract starts.

singingcactus
19-06-2010, 10:33 AM
I offer in my paperwork but have rarely been taken up on it. I would never offer a whole day as a settling in session - the child might as well wait for his first day here rather than come for a whole day before, seems to make the concept of settling in somewhat moot.
The twice I have been taken up on it, once was for a baby I knew so the settling in was for mum really, she took about 2 hours. Another was a very weird situation that lasted about 4 hours - supposed to be 2, and made me stop verbally offering settling in sessions. (a long time ago, non english speaking child I had never met before was dropped off fast asleep with some paperwork, once mum left I quickly checked paperwork and it was blank so no contact details at all, then mum was 2 hours late picking up - contract did NOT go ahead)

karen m
19-06-2010, 08:46 PM
don't do free sessions ,only had 1 child have settling in about 1 hour ,mum signed contracts

babs
19-06-2010, 09:50 PM
i have a baby starting end july she signed up with me when she was 3 months old will be 7 months in july, ive been to her house for chats with mum, and she starts settling in sessions with me next week for about 4 weeks few hours each week,next week mum is staying with her. i dont charge for this as fits in with me.. its worked out well really because week she starts other lo's are on hoilday for 2 weeks.....

Blue Boy
20-06-2010, 01:01 PM
We do not have a set amount. It depends on how the child settles and how we get on with the child.

grindal
20-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Im finding it hard to fit settling in sessions in. Am full already, but have 2 new mindees starting in September. Cannot offer settling in until current mindee finishes, and am away for 3 weeks of the summer holidays and have some building work being done too!
Usually offer 2 sessions - one for an hour, and second one for a couple of hours to include a feed and a walk somewhere!
Worked ok with previous 2 mindees!

suzyblue
21-06-2010, 07:02 AM
I charge for my settling in sessions and I treat each child/parent differently so it depends on what the child/parent needs are.

cabby
21-06-2010, 07:17 AM
i usually offer 3 free hours:thumbsup: