PDA

View Full Version : 3 x 1 year olds

clairc
18-06-2010, 06:43 PM
Any help would be gratefully received!
One day a week I have 3 one year olds to look after, the problem is that one of them is rather boystrous and snatches / pulls / pushes / pokes the other two. One of the others is now reluctant to be near the boystrous one and won't join in any cuddles we may have. I plan various activities to try and entertain them and distract said chd so she forgets about pushin and pulling but because of the age they quickly become bored and want to move onto something else.
So any ideas out there for some activities that work for u with little ones? Any advice on how to conquer this lo's behaviour- mum and dad don't seem to discipline!

caresite
28-06-2010, 10:09 PM
Hi!
just take a deep breathe (maybe several) and be persistente.:cool:

If your rules are no smacking, snatching, etc stick to it, even with the little ones.
talk with the parents ever time you have the child. You said they dont discipline,so I will put my concerns in written. I use the "sandwiche tecnique" one positive thing-a bad thing-positive thing their child did during the day. this gives them an idea of what their child do and hopefully will make them talk to you. ask them if any changes or anything's happennig that can explain his behaviour.
Do a display with the rules you have.
I never pretend I don't see a child snatching, smacking, hitting, etc and I intervene immediatly. Somedays I'm knackered but it's rewarding when one day the inadequate behaviour is gone :jump for joy:

I do this activities:
Play tent and tunnel - the children play hide and seek
rolling balls - me and one child at the time, or me and some/all children. this is good for taking turns
musical instruments - make lots of noise, sing songs or nursery rhymes. I also take turns with the instruments (always praise good behaviour)
painting - outdoor painting is really fun. I also use just water and paintbrush. or if you like some colour add food colouring - is messy but dont stain
have fun too! If you are having fun they want to be with you and join in (I think!)

huggableshelly
29-06-2010, 05:26 AM
I found giving a child something to hit worked though this was for a 3 yr old not a 1 year old.

I used to leave a pillow on the floor in the corner of the lounge. when the child did something to another child I would suggest they go and hit their pillow, it seemed to work for him and he started to use it to let out his frustration. He was the youngest of 4 so learnt quickly how to stand up for himself and get his own way as a way of surviving amongst his older sibblings.

I have no idea if this will work with a younger child but might be worth trying.

clairc
30-06-2010, 08:05 PM
Thanks guys.
I like the sandwich technique to approach parents. What makes it even trickier is that the mum of one ofthe children is long term friend. She acknowledges that the child can be troublesome bu just seems to laugh and shrug shoulders.

This week I seemed to make a bit of headway with discipline and I think alot of it will come as they get older and understand a bit more what the consequences of their actions are. Not many more days like I left now as come September one of them starts pre-school which will make things much easier.

karensmart4
05-07-2010, 06:00 PM
Hi I'm new to the forum but thought I would give a bit of input. The sandwich idea is really good, I use this - when I talk to parents it seems to stop them from going on the defensive, and it shows that you care about their child and are not just picking on them.
What I do, with the parents permission is to sit the child in the highchair for a few mins each time they push etc. you have to be consistant but it works very quickly. They soon learn that each action has a reaction, but not the one they hoped for.
Give the child lots of praise when they behave appropriatly......I think my most used words are; 'yay' 'well done' 'clever'. :clapping:
You will prob will have to revisit this from time to time, but it is just a phase they're going through