PDA

View Full Version : feeling guilty

terrydoo73
18-06-2010, 03:33 PM
Do you ever feel really guilty in your job as a childminder?

Take today - glorious sunny, warm day. Have all the toys available outside no problems with choice etc. Am sitting here with a book in hand watching mindee aged 4 1/2 - what does she do? Sit and watch me reading!! I know some say you should interact but at this age they know what to do when they are riding a bike, playing in the sand and water trays, going down a slide and if she starts talking to me I respond but I am feeling guilty!! One of the reasons I went into childminding in the first place was to be my own boss, choose what I want to do all day yet I feel guilty because I am doing nothing!!

Don't get me wrong - I only get about an hour in the day when I can actually sit down and read a book and when I only have the one mindee then it is like just 1 day in the week - I normally have twins who are hard work all the time as you have to constantly be beside them watching what they are at etc etc.

I have come inside to get my daughter's tea ready so am on here for like 5 mins and she is either standing watching me or sitting up at the table - thankfully she has finally got a jigsaw out but I am noticing her yawning like crazy. Maybe it is the weather making her feel like not playing today??

Does anyone else feel guilty in the work they do? I feel it even more when mum comes to collect and we are sitting out enjoying the sunshine!!

miss mopple
18-06-2010, 03:46 PM
I would certainly feel guilty at reading a book yes. Its not something I would dream of doing when working personally unless it was during nap time when nobody else is up and playing. If the kids are playing happily I either get involved and play too or do something productive like planning/ preparing tea etc. I couldn't justify reading on the job to myself and certainly couldn't to a parent.

Sorry if that sounds off :blush: If you and the parents and kids are happy with that then fine, its just not for me personally.

Alibali
18-06-2010, 04:20 PM
I feel guilty when the parents come home after being in an office all day, and I've been having fun in the sun, splashing around in the pool etc with their kids and the parents have missed out. I do enjoy interacting with them, but I will sit and watch while they play happily.

funemnx
18-06-2010, 04:40 PM
Please don't feel guilty about a few minutes quiet time while you're working. We all do a lot with our minded children and there are times when the weather is lovely and it's time for freeplay when you can recharge a little during the day :thumbsup:

jaytravis
18-06-2010, 04:44 PM
at that age they dont want you hanging around all the time they need time to play on their own aswell as long as you still interact with them and ply if they wanted you to that should be ok wish i could do that but i dont get chance to start reading again later lol and i would forget what im reading i have a pile of about 6 books waiting to be read .x

caz3007
18-06-2010, 05:28 PM
Please don't feel guilty about a few minutes quiet time while you're working. We all do a lot with our minded children and there are times when the weather is lovely and it's time for freeplay when you can recharge a little during the day :thumbsup:

I agree, we dont get a lunch break, so grabbing a short time to ourselves during the day is essential, just to make it through.

jo f
18-06-2010, 07:00 PM
I had a lovely few mins yesterday. I took ds and mindee out in the pram to get to sleep- quite grumpy all week due to weather etc. They both fell asleep and I had 10 mins before picking DD up from pre school. I sat on a park bench in the sun it was heaven, text hubby saying how nice it was and DS woke up:( But oh it was nice for about 5 mins!

I sometimes flick through a newspaper or have a quick check on the forum if the kids are occupied and content.Its only a couple of mins and I am supervising- like someone else said we don't get a break, apart from 30 secs toilet dash with door open so you can hear downstairs!!!!!

merry
18-06-2010, 07:16 PM
It sets a good example for children to see us reading :) I doubt I could concentrate enough for a book but will occasionally flick through a magazine or newspaper and sometimes the children will get themselves a book and sit beside me and look/read themselves. I certainly don't feel the need to fill every minute of a very long day with something productive, I don't know anyone else who works 11 hours a day without any kind of break.

The Juggler
18-06-2010, 08:28 PM
I agree, they need to see us reading. Not sure I'd get stuck into a book, but I open (with them) the post and flick through it. I read it out loud. I must admit I don'[t think I'd actually try to read a book unless it was quiet/nap time but you do need a break:)

aly
18-06-2010, 11:02 PM
No way would I be reading a book!

I do read a magazine if my 1 mindee is sleeping {other mindees in school}

Donkey
18-06-2010, 11:26 PM
don't feel guilty!!

I try and force myself to sit for 20 mins with my lunch while they are happily playing, mums get a lunch break, so do dads. I wouldn't read a book or novel (would get far too engrossed and would switch off from the kids) but I have a quick browse on here or flick through their learning journals to see what needs doing or browse facebook on my bb. if I didnt I would burn myself out!

I do 14 hour days some days I neeeeeed that 20 mins at lunch and I have some sit down time in the evening once dd is in bed and I just have 7 yr old mindee and we watch a film together, (her choice age app etc etc)