PDA

View Full Version : Deodrants & Sprays - Bathroom Question

CarolineCJ
18-06-2010, 02:15 PM
Hi there peeps

Just a quick one what have ofsted said about sprays i.e perfume, deodrants etc in your bathroom?

We dont have a cabinet in our bathroom we have a window shelf where we keep our deodrants etc, however, our tutor said that we would need to get a lockable cabinet to put on the wall and keep our sprays in there.

Is this true what has happened in your case?

Thanks xx

Mookins
18-06-2010, 02:46 PM
WILL YOU BE USING THIS BATHROOM?
sorry caps on.....if not then dont worry ofsted will say not a registered room dont use it, if you do use it, perhaps you could store them in another room if you havent got a cabinet

we store things like this in the tops of wardrobes mainly ater a heart attack moment when a can o deoderant exploded on the window sill cos of the sun
other reason being stops my step daughter using my expensive perfume andgassing us all out lol
x x

Mouse
18-06-2010, 02:53 PM
We have a tall floor cabinet (with a high lock) in the bathroom & everything goes in there. I like a minimalist look in the bathroom anyway, so it suits me not to have any bottles on show ;)

Cleaning products go on top of the cabinet.

Minded children do use the bathroom unaccompanied and I'm happy that everything is out of reach.

marzi
18-06-2010, 02:58 PM
As well as them exploding :eek: scary thought lol there's the danger of accidentally inhaling an aerosol which can be really dangerous.

Mookins
18-06-2010, 03:02 PM
As well as them exploding :eek: scary thought lol there's the danger of accidentally inhaling an aerosol which can be really dangerous.

i know we arent allowed those plug in are random air freshners cos od dangers and risk of triggering attacks etc

x x x

rickysmiths
18-06-2010, 04:23 PM
We have always had a bathroom cupboard above the basin. All the deodorants, cleansers, spare tooth paste etc in there. Shampoos etc on window sil by the shower.

All the medicines and tablets are in an old bathroom cupboard in a cupboard in our bedroom.

No locks on any of them. i have been minding for 19yrs and never had a locked bathroom cupbaord.

I risk assess and things are out of the reach of mindees nd the very young ones are never alone in the bathroom so its not a problem.

Don't get me wrong of course I keep the children safe at all times but I work from home not Fort Knox. I refuse to have everthing we use barred and bolted.
The children we mind come from homes as well and I consider part of my job as a home based carer is to teach them how to be part of the real world and part of that is risk assessing for themselves and learning the boundries.

Mookins
18-06-2010, 04:53 PM
We have always had a bathroom cupboard above the basin. All the deodorants, cleansers, spare tooth paste etc in there. Shampoos etc on window sil by the shower.

All the medicines and tablets are in an old bathroom cupboard in a cupboard in our bedroom.

No locks on any of them. i have been minding for 19yrs and never had a locked bathroom cupbaord.

I risk assess and things are out of the reach of mindees nd the very young ones are never alone in the bathroom so its not a problem.

Don't get me wrong of course I keep the children safe at all times but I work from home not Fort Knox. I refuse to have everthing we use barred and bolted.The children we mind come from homes as well and I consider part of my job as a home based carer is to teach them how to be part of the real world and part of that is risk assessing for themselves and learning the boundries.

so true, am dreading all the locks on cupboards and drawers in the kitchen especially as im having a gate at kitchen door, was hoping i coould get away without them x

Chimps Childminding
18-06-2010, 05:12 PM
Have to agree with Rickysmiths :thumbsup: I don't lock everything away. I have 4 sons who have all survived. I didn't move ornaments etc. when they were little as I couldn't expect everyone that I visited to do the same, so they had to learn not to touch! Same with mindees - we can lock everything away or put it out of reach, but that doesn't really teach them anything!

Littlies are always supervised and the older children know not to touch :thumbsup: Obviously cleaning products are kept away, but soap, shampoo etc is within reach of older children.

Plus at the end of the day its MY HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

caz3007
18-06-2010, 05:25 PM
Nothing is locked away in my bathroom. All cleaning stuff is on top of the bathroom cupboard which is at our head height and all the smellies are out of reach. All medicines are high up in a cupboard in our bedroom and Mrs O was happy with all this, as long as its out of reach, then it was fine

TheBTeam
19-06-2010, 07:59 AM
Same here I dont have locks in my bathroom, any extra shampoo etc is on the shelf at my head height and behind a curtain, a child would have to be really climbing and poking around!

I also do not have cupboard locks on my kitchen, or a stair gate, this is made easier by having two of us here, but I have never had it even when minding on my own, I never had any crawling babies on my own.

I keep my sharp knives, potato peeler and scissors in a high cupboard and my cleaning stuff, but kids are not allowed unsupervised in the kitchen, I do allow the schoolies to go and put things in the bin which is just inside the door.