PDA

View Full Version : Glass safety film. Double glazing.

Mia'smummyx
18-06-2010, 12:28 PM
I have put film on the inside. Do I need the outside safety filmed to. On my pre reg she never mentioned it on my visit but did say to put it on shed windows!!!
Does anyone know a cheap site?? Last time I got it from eBay bit they arnt on eBay any more and it's double the priice on their website!!
Leah

marzi
18-06-2010, 12:32 PM
I don't think you need the outside done too but not 100% sure. I have a full length window on my first floor which i will be using for naps, its double glazed frosted glass and Mrs. Ofsted didnt even mention it.

sillysausage
18-06-2010, 12:51 PM
I don't think you need to put safety film on double glazing at all. Unless it is very old all double glazing panels should have a kite mark (near a corner or on the silver bit between the panes) and are normally made with toughened glass. It's quite difficult to break double glazing panes, You have to hit them near a corner with quite a force (usually). DS once cracked a small window in our house when he threw a marble at it (not deliberately).

miffy
18-06-2010, 12:55 PM
I have safety film on the outside of my front door as well as the inside but if Mrs O didn't ask you to do that at your pre-reg then she must have been happy with it.

If you risk assess the window/door yourself then do you think it needs safety film on the outside?

B&Q used to sell it but not sure if they still do. You should be able to get some on ebay

Miffy xx

ourmadhouse
18-06-2010, 12:57 PM
Remember it all depends on the hight of the window
(i didnt need one on my shed or my garage due to them being mid hight and ofsted was fine)

Daisy1956
18-06-2010, 01:44 PM
On on of my Ofsted visits she actually got down on her knees and checked for the safety symbol.

rickysmiths
18-06-2010, 01:52 PM
I don't think you have to use safety film on Modern double Glazing. I'm just having a large extension built and I will have a Playroom with French Windows and a large Kitchen Diner. Even when we were looking at wooden frame doors all the double glazed glass is safety glass so I won't be using film on them.

We will also have a glass living room door and I won't need film on that. If I did I wouldn't have choosen a glass door. I hate the film.

David
18-06-2010, 01:57 PM
I just bought some from my local glass company.
B&Q don't sell it anymore

Paws
18-06-2010, 04:07 PM
Double glazing is made of toughened safety glass, so you certainly don't need film. You only ever need film on single glass (ie, sheds, glass fronted book cabinets etc).

funemnx
18-06-2010, 04:35 PM
I got my film from Mothercare, I believe but that was 9 years ago! I've since had my internal glass door re-glazed with safety glass (only because the top bit got broken) . For my shed window, I had plexiglass cut to fit and replaced the glass my self (about £6.00). A friend just fitted a bit of trellis in front of her shed window.

Mia'smummyx
20-06-2010, 05:16 PM
hello and thanks for the replys, my windows dont seem to have the correct kite mark so need the safety film!!! still unsure if i should do outside as well as inside??? wouldnt really be a problem if i had the money but i comes to nearly £80 for the outside!! Grrr, why didnt i put new glass on my funding!!

sweets
20-06-2010, 05:21 PM
i have double glazed patio doors, when i had my pre-reg the inspector looked for the kite mark but there wasnt one so she siad i had to put film on them. i got it off e-bay it was much cheaper than mothercare.

Mia'smummyx
20-06-2010, 06:34 PM
Do you have film inside and out???
Leah

sweets
20-06-2010, 06:45 PM
no i just put it on the inside, i suppose i should have it on the outside too as its a different piece of glass, but i have flowerpots there so its highly unlikely that a child would fall against it!

Mia'smummyx
20-06-2010, 06:49 PM
Thats what im thinking about the two diff pieces of glass, my doors lead onto the patio thats not really used for play but if the inspector wanted to pick up on it for expample a football being kicked at it im worried my safeguarding would drop to inadequate...
Think im going on ebay now lol
leah

Tealady
22-06-2010, 10:11 PM
I had to stick stickers on mine so the mindees could tell if doors closed. Nothing was mentioned about saftey film.

blue bear
23-06-2010, 04:52 PM
we took the glass out of our sheds and put plastic in instead, cheaper than the film. you get plastic sheets from diy store.