PDA

View Full Version : Help with deposit/retainer!!!

Adiamond
18-06-2010, 08:40 AM
Hi, I have a parent needing me from the end of September for her lo (10 months) :clapping: for 3 full days a week.
Anyway I have told her that I will require a deposit and she has asked when I would like it and how much is it?
I haven't had to do this before and I really don't know what to charge her!!! her weekly bill in September will be approx £100 per week............ shall I say a months fees as deposit to be held until notice is given????
Or a retainer for 1/2 fee until she needs me???? I really don't know what to say.
Any advice will be much appreciated :) x

AliceK
18-06-2010, 10:21 AM
I had parents sign contracts in April for an August start. I only asked them for 1 weeks deposit and did not charge a retainer as I didn't have the space free until August anyway. The deposit I have said I will offset against the first months fees (payable in advance). I said until I had the deposit I couldn't keep the space.

If I were you I would gauge the parents ability to pay a retainer assuming you actually have the space available now but I would def take a deposit when they sign contracts. Also make sure you put it in writing that the deposit is non-returnable if parents change their mind.

xxxxx

singlewiththree
18-06-2010, 12:36 PM
I don't charge retainers however I charge £50 deposit for part timers and £100 for full timers. I also reimburse this off the first months fees.

The Juggler
18-06-2010, 01:10 PM
i charge a months' deposit. I am happy to hold and not cash a cheque:) I know they could just cancel, but it's never happened yet.

suzyblue
18-06-2010, 03:22 PM
I charge half the monthly fees which is deducted from the first payment. If I had a space now and they needed it in Sept I would only charge a retainer (half fees) if I couldnt afford to keep the space empty till then, otherwise I would just enjoy an easier few months!