PDA

View Full Version : how do you do work/life balance?

newandlearning
17-06-2010, 10:17 PM
hi all...

I'm wondering how does everyone do childminding activities, and also run their home.. I know that putting out washing is a activity (as such) .. but always feel guilty when I've got laundry on the line.. or the gas man to phone...

how to you manage your work and your life in such a way that you are working yet still keeping your own life and home running smoothly?

of course we do loads of child-related things to.. but always feel guilty when I'm not 100% there with the kids talking etc. etc.

I always feel like a bad chldminder when I have to use the phone .. what does everyone else do?
:D

singlewiththree
18-06-2010, 06:13 AM
I used to feel that way too but I simply don't have time otherwise. If we don't put out washing out it won't dry and our own children will go without clothes!

I've toughened up and realised it was definately my guilt and not the parents moaning so I just do it now.

When the children are playing happily or asleep I do my paperwork, I now clean up properly after meals, sweeping, wiping and washing the pots. I don't think it does the children good to have you at their beck and call all the time, after all they get that at home because their parents miss them so to have it 24/7 won't do them good. Having to wait teaches them patience or they can get involved with wiping etc. I've been much more chilled since I got them all to help as I don't feel I have it all to do at hometime. I've also started putting most of the toys away by hometime so we have 1 toy box out and books so that there isn't as much for me to do later.

The Juggler
18-06-2010, 06:26 AM
I agree nothing wrong with putting washing out on the line whilst they are playing happily in the garden.

and if there's an emergency with the gas bill/household applicances you've no choice but to call them - parents call from their work. I don't phone my friends but I do phone essential people and just try to make it quick.

Roseolivia
18-06-2010, 06:40 AM
You do not have to spend 100% of your time playing with the children, they need to learn to be independent and be able to play on their own/with others. One of the main bonus's of this job is being able to do little household tasks, if the parents wanted strict set routines with 100% attention they can choose a nursery. They choose us as we are homely and teaching the children everyday skills. How many nurseries allow the children to help hang washing out or fill the dishwasher up, all good with skills like counting etc...

Carol M
18-06-2010, 06:44 AM
I do everything I need to with consideration to the children present but still don't seem to get any time to myself!
What with shopping, washing, cleaning, cooking,taxi service for my teenagers, not to mention business paperwork and college stuff, weekends are just as busy.
Carol x

onceinabluemoon
18-06-2010, 07:18 AM
This is where I mess up badly!

The theory is that I clean up after the children as we go. I even have a video link between the playroom and kitchen so I can see them while I'm out of the room!

The reality is very different, my 'home' is always a mess and I never get any time to myself or with my kids cos I'm constantly doing paperwork or cleaning all night and all weekend...

miffy
18-06-2010, 07:38 AM
I don't think you should feel guilty about not being with the children 100% of the time - they need (and most want) to have some time to play alone, make up their own games etc.

I do peg out washing and always try and wash pots up etc as we go along - quite often after a meal the children will settle to do colouring/crafts so they're in the kitchen with me and I can wash up and talk to them.

I rarely get chance to do paperwork during the day other than jotting down quick obs and daily diaries so do that on my day off which I don't like but I can't fit it in elsewhere.

Reading that back I don't think I've sussed this work/life balance thing at all! :laughing:

Miffy xx

suzyblue
18-06-2010, 07:40 AM
I try to get as much done as possible during the day. The kids have plenty to do and dont need me 24/7. My house is open plan so I can see them all the time. Cleaning is done after meals, arts and crafts etc, the dish washer is loaded throughout the day and put on last thing at night and tidying is done before lunch and at the end of the day so by the time they all go home the house is ready for the evening.