PDA

View Full Version : need advice r.e mindee

sandy64
17-06-2010, 06:30 PM
hi i could do with some advice please i look after a lo she just 1 shes lovely so good but this week is suffering she has a very yukky runny nose permantely when i wipe it she crys it runs again her eyes are runny and swollen she has a horrible rash under her neck, i sent her home yesterday asked mum to take her docs as she had cryed for 3hrs she went docs got cream for rash calpol for red throat. well she came back today im worried about her tryed talking to dad tonight im sure its really bad hayfever or allergic to sun because as soon as we go outside shes so much worse im getting fed up of people saying wipe her nose, i no its bad but i try and leave it until its really runny as her nose is red raw and shes screaming when wipped then is just as bad in seconds she cant use wipes i must of wiped it 100 times today really need advice as ive evan thought about telling them to try a nursery as weve along summer ahead and i cant watch her suffering any advice please

sarah707
17-06-2010, 06:35 PM
Poor little lady!! :(

It sounds a bit like hay fever medicine to me! There's a lot of it around this week, mine's been awful.

If she doesn't improve parents need to get her back to the doc.

Hugs to you xx

miffy
17-06-2010, 06:41 PM
Poor baby :(

I agree with Sarah, get mum to take her back to the drs if it's no better in a few days

Miffy xx

aly
17-06-2010, 06:41 PM
hi i could do with some advice please i look after a lo she just 1 shes lovely so good but this week is suffering she has a very yukky runny nose permantely when i wipe it she crys it runs again her eyes are runny and swollen she has a horrible rash under her neck, i sent her home yesterday asked mum to take her docs as she had cryed for 3hrs she went docs got cream for rash calpol for red throat. well she came back today im worried about her tryed talking to dad tonight im sure its really bad hayfever or allergic to sun because as soon as we go outside shes so much worse im getting fed up of people saying wipe her nose, i no its bad but i try and leave it until its really runny as her nose is red raw and shes screaming when wipped then is just as bad in seconds she cant use wipes i must of wiped it 100 times today really need advice as ive evan thought about telling them to try a nursery as weve along summer ahead and i cant watch her suffering any advice please

why is a nursery any better?

they go outside too so not cooped up.What happens with you would happen with them too!

she needs to go back to doctor.

marzi
17-06-2010, 06:42 PM
Definitely sounds like hayfever! I get horrible itchy eyes and nose and sore and itchy throat too, bless her I can really sympathise. It's horrible. I'm surprised the doctor didn't give her piriton or something.

TammyN
17-06-2010, 06:45 PM
i agree with others, another trip to the docs.
my dd has been twice this week, now got anti histamine, exhema cream and hydrocortazone as it flared up with heat and the suncream.
anyone got an idea on a good one for the sun for suffers?
i told a mum tonight my mindee's nose has run all day again and has been coughing, thankfully she is off friday's and will see for herself, i think he is suffering hayfever!
Tammy

sandy64
17-06-2010, 06:51 PM
the doctor said she was to young to get hayfever ive tryed to tell them shes not my own lo gets it and i do its horrible chemist want sell them anythink for it. il try again tommorrow to talk to mum there only young and doc always makes them seem paranoid. was only thinking of nursery to help her as they dont go in and out like i do school /nursery and have more staff so she could stay inside when its bad. i really feel for her poor baby.

emmaflossie
17-06-2010, 06:52 PM
i agree with others, another trip to the docs.
my dd has been twice this week, now got anti histamine, exhema cream and hydrocortazone as it flared up with heat and the suncream.
anyone got an idea on a good one for the sun for suffers?
i told a mum tonight my mindee's nose has run all day again and has been coughing, thankfully she is off friday's and will see for herself, i think he is suffering hayfever!
Tammy

i have same problem with my son and i find i have to use uv tops and because he general only gets the rash on top i dont have to put cream on there .... but i have been told by my mother in law that the doctor prescribes her sun cream because of her exema

miffy
17-06-2010, 06:52 PM
Could they ask to see another dr in the practice or even go through their health visitor?

Miffy xx

emmaflossie
17-06-2010, 06:53 PM
the doctor said she was to young to get hayfever ive tryed to tell them shes not my own lo gets it and i do its horrible chemist want sell them anythink for it. il try again tommorrow to talk to mum there only young and doc always makes them seem paranoid. was only thinking of nursery to help her as they dont go in and out like i do school /nursery and have more staff so she could stay inside when its bad. i really feel for her poor baby.

sandy i have tried to get my son used to wearing sun glasses and it has helped but he does not really suffer with hes nose????

sandy64
17-06-2010, 06:56 PM
Could they ask to see another dr in the practice or even go through their health visitor?

Miffy xx

thats a good point thanks she will be happier talking to hv and she could come to my house and see what shes like if mum cant take time from work, thanks il have chat tommorrow.

TammyN
17-06-2010, 07:43 PM
i have same problem with my son and i find i have to use uv tops and because he general only gets the rash on top i dont have to put cream on there .... but i have been told by my mother in law that the doctor prescribes her sun cream because of her exema

i did ask for prescription and my doc said they don't prescribe but a mum who's nurse has said they do at her docs, guess i will try again!

Sandy, that's a nice idea for health visitor to call and see child there, great for evidence for 'O' too :clapping: hope it gets sorted for lo's sake xx

Waveawand
17-06-2010, 07:52 PM
Sandy - the poor little mite !! - Have you thought of your health store or an alternative therapies practitioner ? They have some wonderful natural remedies that you can use for kids that are really effective. Its so horrible to see a little one suffering soo much - maybe suggest it as an alternative to the mum. You want to do something now though dont you ? -another day of soreness poor thing.... hope you find some solution soon best wishes to you all !!

sarah707
17-06-2010, 08:09 PM

Oh what a load of twaddle!

I've had it since my first summer and so has my ds! :rolleyes:

She shouldn't have to stay inside, she should be medicated so she can enjoy her time outside.

Poor little lamb :(

Zoomie
17-06-2010, 08:11 PM
I know this is minor, but to help with the LOs runny nose, try putting a bit of vaseline around end of nose. It will act as a barrier to stop the wetness inflamming the skin, and it will stop the snot (sorry can't think of a nicer word) from sticking to skin and thus easier to clean off.

Shouldn't need permission for this either.

HTHs

Waveawand
17-06-2010, 08:19 PM
just found something on NHS health site
* Keep windows closed at night so pollen doesn’t enter the house.
* Buy your child a pair of wraparound sunglasses to stop pollen entering their eyes.
* Smear petroleum jelly around the inside of your child’s nose to trap pollen and stop it being inhaled.
* Wash your child’s hair, face and hands when they come back indoors and change their clothes.
* Don't let them play in fields or large areas of grassland.
* Use air filters to try to reduce pollen that's floating around the house.
* Keep the car windows shut when driving.

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/health/hayfeverexpert/
this looked useful too best wishes

sandy64
18-06-2010, 07:13 AM
thanks guys for all your kind advice its so difficult when its not your own and yet so hard to see them suffering she comes at 10.15 today so im armed with vaseline ive a bottle of my dd piroton which she gets from doc its for age 1 up and ive downloaded the site someone put here so hopefully mum can give her a spoon of piroton whilst shes here and i can get permission for vaseline and talk to her r.e hv thanks il let you know how it goes later:)

miffy
18-06-2010, 07:28 AM
Hope she's a little better today.

I spoke to my son last night and his hayfever has been very bad this week.

It's good you've got some things you can try - let us know how it goes today

Miffy xx

sandy64
18-06-2010, 05:02 PM
hi all well as we havent had any sun here most of day she has been ok arrived caked in green slime i managed to clean her up very carefully.she has had a little runny nose but not much had a chat with mum she told me to put vaseline under her nose and she would see how she goes, well 3.30 sun came out hot eyes streaming,nose terrible bless her well dad arrived at 4.30 so told him how shed been mentioned again definately seems like hayfever i filled diary in for mum to read tonight. well ive tryed just hope they do somethink over wkend for her

singingcactus
18-06-2010, 07:22 PM
Another thing might be to try damp washable wipes - I would say baby wipes but if her nose is already raw that might sting even more - but damp hankies should make the whole wiping much gentler for her.
I hope her parents can get her sorted with a decent doctor, or maybe even go in and chat with the local pharmacist, they are fantastic people who deserve much more recognition than they get.

sp1
18-06-2010, 08:30 PM
My son suffered from mild hayfever. I got him some local honey (something to do with the local bee's and local pollen????) It did seem to work, but like I said it was only mild. I give it to him on toast or in hot milk.

Might be worth a try if parents are ok with it :)

ourmadhouse
18-06-2010, 08:45 PM
my own son has chronic eczema from 3 months old (hes now 4 bless the little love) and also the asthma and hay fever came with it too although it took a year for the docs to confirm, he is classed as having special needs due to the ammount of extra care he needs to try and control the eczema, hes gone from having it head to toe (he looked like he had been in a house fire, and for a mother to say it was horrid holding my baby incase i hurt his skin left me some times feeling helpless)

a health visitor helped me understand pollen she said think of it as invisible rain, in the morning it rises from the ground with the heat up into the atmosphere (so avoid going out in the morning) then as the temp drops the pollen falls again to the ground if you are out in these 'showers' and the child shows signs of hayfever remove all outer clothing when coming indoors and wash the childs hands and face as this will help to remove the pollen.
try and keep the windows shut to keep the pollen out, now this a nightmare if you have eczema too as the heat makes it worse. maybe keep one room closed down and have a fan?

iv spent many sunny days in a empty indoor soft play area insted of the park trying to entertain my little man :(

as regards to sun cream i ask the skin doctor at hospital (the derm a wots it) an they said it is trial and error a sun cream that is fine for one will not be for another. the way i see it is i know how to ease eczema i dont know how to ease skin cancer . . . eczema is the lesser of two evils, when his skin is on a flair i do just cover him up head to toe in cotton clothing :thumbsup:

national eczema society have lots of up to date info and a help line, they also have a list of sun creams that have none irritants in :thumbsup:

piriton does take time to get into the system so should be started before hayfever season starts not just on the days when you have hayfever (im no doctor but this is what iv been lead to belive)

good luck with the parents

x

Waveawand
19-06-2010, 09:44 PM
Hiya Sandy, hope your having a welcome break but just got some advice . *Naturally sourced honey* is very effective (eaten ) but will check out other sources too. Re parents. Dont hold back on the discomfort youve witnessed. Even video clip if necessary . Also get them to take her to the paediatrics at hospital as they are much better (right on it) than doctors re kids persea! Biggest hugs havent stopped thinking of her and u !! God help me when Ive got the same or worse --- actually I'll be staight on here !!!:clapping:

The Juggler
19-06-2010, 09:48 PM
my own son has chronic eczema from 3 months old (hes now 4 bless the little love) and also the asthma and hay fever came with it too although it took a year for the docs to confirm, he is classed as having special needs due to the ammount of extra care he needs to try and control the eczema, hes gone from having it head to toe (he looked like he had been in a house fire, and for a mother to say it was horrid holding my baby incase i hurt his skin left me some times feeling helpless)

a health visitor helped me understand pollen she said think of it as invisible rain, in the morning it rises from the ground with the heat up into the atmosphere (so avoid going out in the morning) then as the temp drops the pollen falls again to the ground if you are out in these 'showers' and the child shows signs of hayfever remove all outer clothing when coming indoors and wash the childs hands and face as this will help to remove the pollen.
try and keep the windows shut to keep the pollen out, now this a nightmare if you have eczema too as the heat makes it worse. maybe keep one room closed down and have a fan?

iv spent many sunny days in a empty indoor soft play area insted of the park trying to entertain my little man :(

as regards to sun cream i ask the skin doctor at hospital (the derm a wots it) an they said it is trial and error a sun cream that is fine for one will not be for another. the way i see it is i know how to ease eczema i dont know how to ease skin cancer . . . eczema is the lesser of two evils, when his skin is on a flair i do just cover him up head to toe in cotton clothing :thumbsup:

national eczema society have lots of up to date info and a help line, they also have a list of sun creams that have none irritants in :thumbsup:

piriton does take time to get into the system so should be started before hayfever season starts not just on the days when you have hayfever (im no doctor but this is what iv been lead to belive)

good luck with the parents

x

oh hon, my son has eczema and asthma and hayfever and i always feel sorry for him but he is lucky compared to your little chap. what a brave boy and what a brave mum you must be.:)

ourmadhouse
20-06-2010, 11:00 AM
oh hon, my son has eczema and asthma and hayfever and i always feel sorry for him but he is lucky compared to your little chap. what a brave boy and what a brave mum you must be.:)

its the norm for us, heh cant remember the last full nights sleep we both had,in my last job i used my dinner hour to sleep in the car! (on a bad night the most we got up was 8 times in one night i gave up in the end and took him down stairs to draw at 5.30 am)
the hardest part was trying to get people to understand, to most eczema 'is just a bit of dry skin' but its affect on your temperment and sleep patterns seem to go unnoticed by others.
due to lack of sleep i had a very angery and agitated little boy (and my temperment was not a good one with not sleeping more than two hours at a time) and i found other peoples reactions to his temperment far more upsetting than dealing with the eczema. others just did not understand how his eczema made him feel.

the key to trying to keep eczema under controle is to keep the skin moist with ointments etc (and finding one that works!) to help prevent a flare means still putting these sometimes sticky ointments on when the skin looks 'normal'

My little man has flairs on his 'wear and tare' parts the places that come into contact the most, from his elbow to the tip of his fingers and from his knees to his toes, the rest of him is dry and hardly gets a flair these days.

he loves exploring and getting dirty, i know if i stopped him coming into contact with things i know kick his eczema off is skin would be much better but thats not the life i want for him, by all means if he tells my he doesnt want to play in the sant today because hes sore that fine but i want him to enjoy life and not let eczema hold him back.

me and his dad have both said that his eczema has helped make him into the boy he is today, hes a tough one and seems to shake alot of it off.

he starts full time in september, passing the care onto another worries me but deep down i know hes going to be fine, already had names given to him in nursery. . . tomato boy (because his skin is all red) he makes me laugh because he tells them, not im not, im james !

The Juggler
20-06-2010, 02:22 PM
its the norm for us, heh cant remember the last full nights sleep we both had,in my last job i used my dinner hour to sleep in the car! (on a bad night the most we got up was 8 times in one night i gave up in the end and took him down stairs to draw at 5.30 am)
the hardest part was trying to get people to understand, to most eczema 'is just a bit of dry skin' but its affect on your temperment and sleep patterns seem to go unnoticed by others.
due to lack of sleep i had a very angery and agitated little boy (and my temperment was not a good one with not sleeping more than two hours at a time) and i found other peoples reactions to his temperment far more upsetting than dealing with the eczema. others just did not understand how his eczema made him feel.

the key to trying to keep eczema under controle is to keep the skin moist with ointments etc (and finding one that works!) to help prevent a flare means still putting these sometimes sticky ointments on when the skin looks 'normal'

My little man has flairs on his 'wear and tare' parts the places that come into contact the most, from his elbow to the tip of his fingers and from his knees to his toes, the rest of him is dry and hardly gets a flair these days.

he loves exploring and getting dirty, i know if i stopped him coming into contact with things i know kick his eczema off is skin would be much better but thats not the life i want for him, by all means if he tells my he doesnt want to play in the sant today because hes sore that fine but i want him to enjoy life and not let eczema hold him back.

me and his dad have both said that his eczema has helped make him into the boy he is today, hes a tough one and seems to shake alot of it off.

he starts full time in september, passing the care onto another worries me but deep down i know hes going to be fine, already had names given to him in nursery. . . tomato boy (because his skin is all red) he makes me laugh because he tells them, not im not, im james !

oh bless him and good for you letting him explore and do the things he wants. my ds is ok most of time. this time of year is bad when asthma and eczema and hayfever kick in togheter and he asks why me and gets upset - but whilst I tell him I know and I wish it was me I tell him that some children have it really badly, I have shown him pictures of little ones like your little man and he realises that he is lucky (he is 10 now).

LittleAcorns
20-06-2010, 02:35 PM
just another small thing is, get her to eat local honey it helps to build up immunity

I can relate Ive suffered for 34 years!!! bless her xx

karen m
20-06-2010, 07:34 PM
i no you said you would get mum to give a spoon of your little ones piriton,but surely it would be better if mum bought her own ,don't mean to be rude but if we can only give them medicines prescribed by gp as anything could be in bottle then surly this should be the same i no it sounds far fetched but anything could be in your bottle, i really hope you don't take this the wrong way

Waveawand
21-06-2010, 12:40 PM
hiya Sandy had reply from health site:
Thank you for your enquiry about your child’s hayfever.

There are two things that I can suggest you try, but would always recommend that you check with your therapist or doctor if you have any doubts.

Local honey is always a good idea, if you are happy for your child to have honey. As the bees are making the honey from the same pollen that is affecting you, it can help to build up a resistance against it.

There is an ayurvedic remedy, Trikatu. This is available in a tincture and could be added in a small quantity to babies juice or water.

I hope this has been of some use to you, you could always try camomile to help sooth your child, even if this does not reduce the symptoms.

Best wishes
Soo Cieszynska
Sales Manager
Xynergy Products Ltd. T/A Xynergy Health Products.
Registered in England & Wales. Company No. 02835270
Elsted, Midhurst, West Sussex, GU29 0JT
Tel: +44 (0)1730 813642