PDA

View Full Version : Tantrums when mum picks up

Mcgons
16-06-2010, 08:18 PM
Any tips how to change this behaviour? Mindee is 3, is wonderful and funny most of the time but gets cross when mum comes to pick her up. It's happened on and off but is now nearly every day. I warn her mum is coming and also have things ready for her to show mum/tell mum about, but as soon as I open the door she has a good old tantrum and won't let mum pick her up or put her in the car. Mum said she's like that for about 10 mins on way home before she calms down. Some of it is tiredness, but today she had a 2hour nap and still did it.

Any ideas welcome?!

The Juggler
16-06-2010, 09:07 PM
i put it down to over-emotion at seeing parent again at end of day. Lots of preparation, talking about mummy coming, getting shoes on, 'arent' we looking forward to mummy coming', 'will we give her big smile when she comes'.

Maybe ask parent to text when en route so you can do this as near to her arrival as possible.

good luckx

Trouble
16-06-2010, 09:18 PM
i have started carrying child to car and putting her in the seat myself with all the kids as they all do it :(

it works and mums usually say thanks :D

pinklady
16-06-2010, 09:23 PM
Maybe something as simple as getting a sticker for good behaviour at pick up? :huh:

Hope LO settles down soon for you hun.

rickysmiths
16-06-2010, 09:29 PM
I think it is just a phase. I currently have a 4.5yr old for whom I have cared since she was 6mths. Had been happy to come and happy to leave.

Then overnight she turned into the monster from hell at home time, even though she had been fine during the day and always has a good nap (2.5hrs this afternoon!). She would scream 'I don't want to go home', kick her dad, cry. It was truely horrible for a couple of months.

I felt so sorry for Dad who was looking forward, after 10hrs and maybe a horrible day at work, to seeing his darling, to be greeted with this kicking, spitting, monster :eek:

It stopped as quickly as it had started.

So no direct advise, sorry. Probably ride it out and try to ignore it.

16-06-2010, 09:39 PM
I agree with the sticker idea. I have the stickers ready and dad has the chart in the car. I also have them with shoes on and bags packed for the fastest get away possible! Had a few weeks of absolute nightmare with two boys who wouldn't get their shoes on, kicking and punching their dad, saying they didn't want to go. One doesn't want to come either LOL Eventually cracked it

Anni

claireLouise
16-06-2010, 09:43 PM
I agree that it is most likely a phase, I had a simlar situtation, sadly parents moved from Scotland to England before the situation changed!

Some of it was punishment for leaving her it was also because she was genuinely having fun and didn't want to go to dinner and bed! Worth asking about her routine once she goes home and something about this might be upsetting her.

Best Wishes

Ripeberry
16-06-2010, 09:52 PM
i have started carrying child to car and putting her in the seat myself with all the kids as they all do it :(

it works and mums usually say thanks :D

My 3yr old mindee does the same. I usually end up carrying out the bag and the shoes as mindee refuses to put them on for mum.
But then other weeks (only have her 5hrs a week), she will go easily with no fuss :rolleyes: