PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone..... HELP!!!!

kats
28-03-2008, 10:07 PM
Hi ive just registered as a childminder, i went on the pre reg course and learnt about policies, play, ofsted inspections etc.. but at no time did anyone mention birth to three or eyfs. i know im gonna sound really stupid but ive never heard of either of them. Why are we not told about it at the pre reg course. Im trying to teach myself now by using the internet thats how i came across this forum with all you clever people who know all about the things i dont!!! lol

sarah707
28-03-2008, 10:41 PM
Hello Kats! Welcome!

Birth to 3 is being phased out now... EYFS (Early Years foundation Stage) is law from September... I have no idea why they didn't mention it on your course, but I am surprised they missed it out tbh...

You can find out a lot about it by looking at threads on the forum... you can look at the document on teachernet. It's out of print just now...

Don't forget to pop into Say Hello and introduce yourself! :D

angeldelight
28-03-2008, 10:47 PM
Hi Kats

Yes go into the hello section and say hello so everyone can welcome you

Then have a good look around each section and you will soon get to know what is happening in the world of childminding

Like Sarah said it should have been mentioned to you on your course because it is really important

I am sure you will find all what you need to know here though

Speak soon

Angel xx

miffy
28-03-2008, 10:51 PM
I'm totally amazed eyfs wasn't mentioned at your prereg

Don't worry though there's lots of info here and everyone is friendly and helpful

miffy xx

kats
30-03-2008, 08:29 PM
Hi, thanks for your replys ive learnt so much off this site i dont feel as alone any more in understanding it all, thanks xxx

sarah707
30-03-2008, 08:31 PM
If there's every anything kats, just ask!

I've found there's always someone who will have an answer :D

kats
30-03-2008, 08:36 PM
Sarah i looked at your site today , you are amazing, dont know how you do it x

Blaze
30-03-2008, 08:36 PM
Have to say i would recommend Sarah's books!
Tasha:)

ajs
30-03-2008, 08:40 PM
hi kats
it was all as clear as mud forme too and i must admit it was sarah's stuff that made it all a little clearer for me too.

kats
30-03-2008, 08:41 PM
ive been registerd since jan and have just got two gorgeous brothers to mind does anyone know when im likely to get my first inspection.do you think it will be before sept x

Tily Bud
30-03-2008, 08:45 PM
first inspections are meant to be about 6 months from registering but in practice it rarely works like this x mine was 12 months :eek:

Blaze
30-03-2008, 08:48 PM
Mine was after 41/2 months...depend on how up todate OFSTED are in your area...as far as i'm aware OFSTED have more or less shut down on inspections until September now!

kats
30-03-2008, 08:53 PM
so would you say itd be best for me to just go straight into doing eyfs? xkats

Blaze
30-03-2008, 08:54 PM
If it were me then i woul go into EYFS...but I would show awareness of B23.

kats
30-03-2008, 08:58 PM
Thanks Tasha can i ask another question at the risk of sounding stupid .kats x

Blaze
30-03-2008, 08:59 PM
Of course!

kats
30-03-2008, 09:16 PM
ive been reading about the diary we are to make about the children and to share with the parents. do we also have to have another profile with obs and assesments in or does everything go in the one diary ( hope you understand me) xand another thing ,i was going to do an assesment on the new little boy i have hes 2, do i do it under the headings of psed, kuw, cd etc. thanks x kats

sarah707
30-03-2008, 09:31 PM
ive been reading about the diary we are to make about the children and to share with the parents. do we also have to have another profile with obs and assesments in or does everything go in the one diary ( hope you understand me)

What I do is to collect up observations as I go along whenever I spot something I feel I want to write down. Later I look at them, sort out which ones are important for the child's next steps of their learning or to tell me something about what they like to do or how they learn... then I do my planning, from these observations. A while later, when I've got a few collected together, I put them into the child's learning journey file and see which areas I might not have observed yet or any bits that the child might need encouragement and working with to help him on his learning journey and I put those on his next steps list...

xand another thing ,i was going to do an assesment on the new little boy i have hes 2, do i do it under the headings of psed, kuw, cd etc.

This is a tricky one - if you haven't been inspected yet and you are due an inspection before September then you need to be using Birth to 3 matters still... there are threads around that will give you activity ideas etc. Once you have been inspected or by September, you can move over to the EYFS, which is all the psed, cll etc...
The reason it's tricky is because we are using 2 different systems depending on whether we've been inspected... but the inspectors haven't been trained on EYFS yet, so they won't be able to inspect on it...

thanks x kats

I hope that makes sense! :D

kats
30-03-2008, 09:43 PM
my problem is though sarah i havent had any training in b23 and there is none out there. i go to my eyfs training in may so im in limbo really. thank you for your good advice though x kats

angeldelight
30-03-2008, 09:45 PM
If you want any Birth to Three information Kat I have heaps of it

Just pm me your email addy and I will send it to you

It will give you a general idea anyway

Angel xx

kats
30-03-2008, 10:07 PM
Thanks angel id be really grateful kats x

I have removed your email addy from the forum for safety
xx