PDA

View Full Version : Accident book?????

sp1
16-06-2010, 07:49 PM
Hi all,

Just another quick question I'm afraid:(

I look after a 18 month old little girl (I have a son the same age) Whilst playing in the garden, which is all concrete so more like a court yard, the little girl fell over. Nothing serious and after a cuddle she was more than happy to get down and play. I didn't even think to check her knee's(she was wearing trousers) as I'm so used to my son brushing himself off and carrying on.

I received a text from the Mum earlier asking if she'd had a fall because her knee's were a bit bruised and she had a little graze on one of her knee's. This is the first time Mum and daughter have been apart and I think she's just a little over protective, which I understand.

Should I have written this down in the accident book and told the parent? I just think that children this age fall over all the time and if I have to fill out an accident sheet every time I will be continously filling them out :(

sarah707
16-06-2010, 07:55 PM
Yes you need to check the child over and write it on an accident form.

I agree with parents that if there's no mark, I write it in daily diary and if there's a mark or a head injury it goes on an accident form.

Marks can come up later, which is why everything should be written down somewhere regardless of what you can or cannot see.

I'd write up today's accident now and give it to parents to sign tomorrow... although according to Eyfs it should be signed on the same day.

Hth :D

sp1
16-06-2010, 08:03 PM
Thankyou Sarah, doing it now :) x

miffy
16-06-2010, 08:38 PM
I agree with Sarah and if this parent is a little over protective you must make sure you've covered your back.

Don't forget you should also record any bumps, bruises or grazes the child has when they come to you.

Miffy xx

onceinabluemoon
16-06-2010, 08:43 PM
I always write up even if there's no obvious injury (and put in the 'type of injury' part of the form 'no obvious injury' because you never know if a bruise will come through later or if a child may be upset later and talk to mum about it, if you haven't written anything up it could look as if you were trying to hide it IYSWIM...

My accident book seems to go through stages where it's full to brimming sometimes 3 or 4 slip ups in one day from an emergent walker or a rough and tumble type kiddie and then it seems we don't have an accident for weeks or even months!

You may want to make your own up to save some money if you have a bruiser on your books, lol! ;)

Dont forget to also write down any existing injuries and bumps etc x

onceinabluemoon
16-06-2010, 08:45 PM
Sorry Miffy, think you must have answered as I was typing mine as we've both said the same thing, lol! ;)

louise-marie
16-06-2010, 08:47 PM
should parents be given a copy of accident sheet?
at moment i'm using NCMA's which gives 2nd copy but want to make me own to save penny's buying more.
:p

claireLouise
16-06-2010, 10:06 PM
Part of the job! I get the parents to sign to confirm they have read the information but don't give them a copy.

Best wishes

Tealady
16-06-2010, 10:38 PM
should parents be given a copy of accident sheet?
at moment i'm using NCMA's which gives 2nd copy but want to make me own to save penny's buying more.
:p

I do my own. The parent reads and signs on day. I then copy it and give them a copy next time I see them

sp1
17-06-2010, 03:59 PM
I've done my own. On the sheet I have: What happened and where on the body it is, Action taken and how the child was after. Is this ok?

Also, thankyou again for your advice ( I don't know what I'd do without this site:blush: ) The Mum was very nice about it and just as new to this as I am. So I was lucky and a very valuable lesson has been learnt:)