PDA

View Full Version : Surely this one isn't necessary!

BlondeMoment
16-06-2010, 06:46 PM
I just had a visit from my CSW (from NCMA) to check I'm on the right tracks etc. She tells me I need to be keeping records of sleep checks and nappy changes. I've never heard anything so ridiculous in all my life! I write down everything for the parents to take home on a piece of paper so they know all they need to about how much their child has slept and pooped! Why on earth do I need to clutter up my (already bursting at the seams) house with useless info like this? Do any of you guys do it and if not have Ofsted ever pulled you up on it? Is this just another of NCMAs over the top ways to cover their ass?

RachelE
16-06-2010, 06:49 PM
No, no no! :panic:

I've never done it and cant see my self doing it either!

I do a daily for all under 5's and always have so have 8 years record of poops and sleeps via them!

Seems a bit over the top to me!

Rachel x

sarah707
16-06-2010, 07:06 PM
I write it in daily diaries or tell parents when they collect.

Did she say why she thought it was necessary? :panic:

Sounds very ott to me

littletreasures
16-06-2010, 07:07 PM
I'm pretty sure you don't have to do it to keep for yourself. Why would you want to do that and what would you gain from it?

I do a daily diary for my new 7 month old. Mum didn't even want me to do that. She likes the chats at the end of the day. I must admit I don't always fill it in every day, but I tell Mum what I would have put in it anway.

singingcactus
16-06-2010, 07:09 PM
No. If a child regularly poops at my house then one day does not, I would verbally mention it to mum so she can watch him at home (change in habits could mean constipation etc). I would also mention to mum if I had only change dry nappies, as in baby has not wee'd all day. But no way would I keep a record of every wet and dirty nappy I change.

Sleep records, as long as you have a policy that states for the child's safety you check on them every 5, 10, 15 whatever minutes then I would imagine that would be enough.

It is getting a bit on the insane side now.

solly
16-06-2010, 07:22 PM
I only write it in daily diaries or if these have been forgotten i will tell the parents when they pick up

Toothfairy
16-06-2010, 07:38 PM
The daily diaries I use have 5 sections to them;
* What we have done during the day
* The times I change their nappies and if its a wet or a dirty one.
* I log when they go down for a nap, the times I check on them and if its by baby listener or in person and the time they wake up.
* What they have eaten/drunk during the day with times and quantities.
* A.O.B

Fabby
16-06-2010, 07:44 PM
The daily diaries I use have 5 sections to them;
* What we have done during the day
* The times I change their nappies and if its a wet or a dirty one.
* I log when they go down for a nap, the times I check on them and if its by baby listener or in person and the time they wake up.
* What they have eaten/drunk during the day with times and quantities.
* A.O.B

This is what i include apart from the TIMES of when i have checked on them. My DO has said though 'it is good practice' to have this 'time of check when sleeping' record. I asked if it could just be a ticklist of the times when you have checked rather than stating the ACTUAL time and she said that OFSTED would value ACTUAL times better (she is an ex ofsted inspector) I haven't started to record it yet because i keep putting it off because i would feel as though i am CLOCK WATCHING all day!! Obviously we are always checking on a sleeping child it is a concious thing in my eyes!!

Playmate
16-06-2010, 07:47 PM
Just in daily diaries and don't intend doing anymore:D

loocyloo
16-06-2010, 08:07 PM
i do write down nappy changes as they occur in the day, and sleep times (and often for one young lady, how long it took to go to sleep !) but i'm not going to start writing down everytime i check on them!

The Juggler
16-06-2010, 09:09 PM
i don't record nappy changes other than has or hasn't had a poo, or runny/very constipated ones.

If I recorded every nappy change and sleep checks I'd never have time to do anything else. IMO this is very OTT:rolleyes:

jo f
16-06-2010, 09:45 PM
Just in daily diaries! Oh if that comes in I'm going to have to employ a PA to keep up with it all!!!!!

claireLouise
16-06-2010, 09:54 PM
This is required by the Care Commission in Scotland too. I keep a carbonised copy of my weekly diary sheet, which parents get at the end of the week and I discuss with them at the end of each day.

I think you will need to bite the bullet and do it, if you want a good grading, sorry this is not what you want to hear.

Best Wishes

mama2three
17-06-2010, 05:51 AM
Like many of the others , nappies and sleeps are noted in their diaries , and I have a sleep policy - but dont 'record' each check. But then I dont record daily ras , fridge checks etc either , Maybe I had an easy going inspector who could use common sense!

suzyblue
17-06-2010, 06:23 AM
Im the same - that info is written in the daily diaries. Why would you eed to keep your own record? Do we need to keep this until the kids are 21 years old incase of a future poo query.........?

sweets
17-06-2010, 06:45 AM
Like many of the others , nappies and sleeps are noted in their diaries , and I have a sleep policy - but dont 'record' each check. But then I dont record daily ras , fridge checks etc either , Maybe I had an easy going inspector who could use common sense!

i dont do any of this either! lol. my inspector never asked for any of it.

but i'm a bad childminder and dont check them every 10 mins either! i check them about 10 mins after ive put them down to check they have to sleep then put the monitor on and will check visually every half or so after that.

my screamer is a really light sleeper and stirs if i open the door a tiny bit to look at her and theres no way i am going to risk waking her every 10 mins! i need the hour and half that she sleeps :laughing:

sillysausage
17-06-2010, 01:00 PM
very soon we won't have time to organise activities and play with the children because all our time will be taken up in even more unnecessary paperwork, wasting more trees.

venus89
17-06-2010, 01:16 PM
Im the same - that info is written in the daily diaries. Why would you eed to keep your own record? Do we need to keep this until the kids are 21 years old incase of a future poo query.........?

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Playmate
17-06-2010, 01:24 PM
This is required by the Care Commission in Scotland too. I keep a carbonised copy of my weekly diary sheet, which parents get at the end of the week and I discuss with them at the end of each day.

I think you will need to bite the bullet and do it, if you want a good grading, sorry this is not what you want to hear.

Best Wishes

Well sorry but I think this is unnecessary and will not be introducing any such records. I have been Outstanding for 5 years and will stand upto any Ofsted Inspector who challenges me about anything so ridiculous. If more people question WHY we need to do things we may get more clarity and continuity in inspections.

BlondeMoment
19-06-2010, 08:29 AM
I think the reason she pulled me on it is because I send all my LOs home with a little sheet of paper that has a general info like that on (including poops and sleeps). I don't rely on diaries to come back. parents are too forgetful and too busy to bother about returning them and signing them etc what with everything else! So thats why she thinks I should be recording it. So I have my own personal record. But I'm afraid I'm going to flatly refuse on this one! I don't care if I get marked down just because I don't have enough paper work.

I don't check my sleepers either because my door is so creaky it will wake them up!

I'm going to do a sleep policy! I think thats a really good idea! Thanks!

Heaven Scent
19-06-2010, 10:14 AM
GGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!:angry: :angry: :angry:

If you are walking around the house checking up on (and waking up) your sleepers then jotting it all down - how can you be giving quality 1-1 time to your older non sleepers????????????????

Do you record your nappy changes at the end, in the middle or before hand - do you do it before or after you trapes you and all your children up the stairs to wash your hands because you can't use your kitchen sink and then disinfect it - in order to give parents an accurate account do you weigh the nappies and take photos of the poops - and for those that are toilet trained do you remove the childrens stools from the loo and weigh and measure them so parents know what they have done too - I sure it is discrimination against the toilet trained if we don't record what they do too!!!!!:panic: :panic:

This wasn't even an ofsted inspector who told you to do this so where does she get off with herself - I really feel that the NCMA are so busy being yes men and women to Ofsted that they are no longer supporting childmindres!!!

The Juggler
19-06-2010, 02:50 PM

If you are walking around the house checking up on (and waking up) your sleepers then jotting it all down - how can you be giving quality 1-1 time to your older non sleepers????????????????

Do you record your nappy changes at the end, in the middle or before hand - do you do it before or after you trapes you and all your children up the stairs to wash your hands because you can't use your kitchen sink and then disinfect it - in order to give parents an accurate account do you weigh the nappies and take photos of the poops - and for those that are toilet trained do you remove the childrens stools from the loo and weigh and measure them so parents know what they have done too - I sure it is discrimination against the toilet trained if we don't record what they do too!!!!!:panic: :panic:

This wasn't even an ofsted inspector who told you to do this so where does she get off with herself - I really feel that the NCMA are so busy being yes men and women to Ofsted that they are no longer supporting childmindres!!!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

BlondeMoment
02-07-2010, 09:28 AM

LMAO!!!!!!!
:laughing: