PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Chickens risk assessment?

dobby
16-06-2010, 12:47 PM
Now I know there are quite a few chicken keepers on this forum so figured you could help me out with completing this for the imminent arrival of my chooks in a couple of weeks :D

So far I have thought of

1. Safe storage of feed/bedding medicines etc
2. locating coop/run so it does not pose a risk to children in garden & ensuruing structure is free from any hazards (better be its brand new!)
3. Cleaning up after the darlings (poo patrol!)
4. ensuring equipment used for cleaning up is safely out of reach of children when not in use.
5. if chickens are out when children prsent that both are monitored to ensure safety.
6.??? this is where I get stuck mam sure there is more but got brain ache :rolleyes:

Mrs O is due to call soon so i want to have everything there and not leave it and panic.

Any pearls of wisdom oh fellow chicken keepers?? :)

Ripeberry
16-06-2010, 12:52 PM
Also, state that the children's hands will be washed with anti-bac after encountering chickens.
But remember that we are not supposed to give the eggs to mindees as they are not Lion marked :(

aly
16-06-2010, 01:08 PM
Also, state that the children's hands will be washed with anti-bac after encountering chickens.
But remember that we are not supposed to give the eggs to mindees as they are not Lion marked :(

read that quickly @the chickens hands will be washed'
:laughing:

dobby
16-06-2010, 01:45 PM
Lol my parents are already dropping BIG hints about having some eggs- told them I have to sweeten the neighbours on 3 sides first! (Although as one has 2 barky dogs, umpteen cats and a load of things in hutches against our adjoining wall i dont think they are in any state to complain :rolleyes: )

nelly
16-06-2010, 01:46 PM

with regards to not giving mindees our chicken eggs where did you here that ?
thanks nelly

Ripeberry
16-06-2010, 01:58 PM
The Enviromental health officer when she visited. It is OK to give eggs to the parents. It is up to them if they want to give it to their child, but we as CM should not use them on our premises.
Daft I know, but my parents have had a few of the eggs :thumbsup:

samanthat6987
20-06-2010, 07:34 AM
Thinking of getting chickens myself. I have got:

Predators like foxes; weekly monitoring for signs of entry to garden on both sides of my perimeter fence.

Vermin like rats and mice; trying to get food and to the chickens themselves. Monitor activity and be aware of pest control local to me.

Pests like ticks, fleas, worms flies etc; regular cleaning, take vetinary advice

Then a procedure on how I will clean and care for them. Protecting clothing, sensible disposal, personal hygiene. Just incase they ask how.

Hope this helps

Dragonfly
20-06-2010, 08:00 PM
I use the eggs in cake making etc with the mindees. I dont think i would buy separate eggs to use with them when I have fresh ones from my garden, also when they are cooked well Ie cakes the danger of semonello has gone?

dobby
20-06-2010, 08:25 PM
Thanks for everyones help. I was all set to write this up on my admin day and instead had to spend all day trying to fix our dyding desktop PC - unfortunately i made it worse and have to get someone in now oopS:blush:

I am not going to be buying eggs either but as it happens one of the mindees only started showing signs of egg allergy last week so they might be off the menu for the kids the 3 days he comes now anyway!!!:rolleyes:

Annie Lou
10-03-2011, 11:52 AM
What about the children washing hands/alcohol wipes after collecting eggs being around hens?
Also saying that you'll worm and de-parasite them?:)

Ripeberry
10-03-2011, 01:11 PM
Also forgot to add (last year :rolleyes: ), it's best to keep the chickens in a fenced off area from the children as otherwise you will be doing poo patrol for ever! :panic: