PDA

View Full Version : 5yr old girls

clare78
16-06-2010, 12:17 PM
i am a bit stuck i have not long started with a 5yr old girl and she doesnt seem to want to play with anything even outside
i was wondering what toys in and outside do ur 5yr old play with

please help she looks so lost

Alibali
16-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Prams, dolls, dressing up?

theplayroom
16-06-2010, 12:43 PM
I have a 5 year daughter she loves, threading beads, applying make up on herself, grooming her girls world doll, junk modelling, making books, cooking, helping me...i could go on and on!

Helen79
16-06-2010, 12:44 PM
dd plays with the small world figures, doing crafty stuff, books, prams & dolls.

loocyloo
16-06-2010, 12:52 PM
dolls; dressing/feeding/walking etc etc
dressing up/roleplay
craft; paint/glue/sewing/drawing/colouring/making endless 'books' and models
games; connect 4/scrabble
puzzles
lego
reading books,
watching tv (often very tired afterschool)
or running around the garden!

or if its my DD stomping up the stairs and slamming her door! ;)

Tealady
16-06-2010, 12:56 PM
My five year olds love Hama Beads and will sit for hours doing them if they can. Maybe ask her what she likes to do, or ask Mum. Depending on how many other children you have and their ages, try getting everyone to play a board game.

clare78
16-06-2010, 01:03 PM
i have asked her what she would like to play with and she does not no mum says she hasnt got many toys as they have just moved from france.

the other mindees are all boys so they try there best to play boyish games.

in the holidays i will have her all day every day so i dont want her to be bored

The Juggler
16-06-2010, 01:07 PM
maybe if she's still a bit nervous get her to help you with things. Maybe help prepare tea or snacks or bake some snacks after school for others or just get her to show you her school bag and what she did today.:)

terrydoo73
16-06-2010, 01:40 PM
I have found in the past that asking mum what they like to play with at home and laying this on at mine results in them never actually playing with it! For instance I have a little one who is 4 1/2 and have been told she absolutely loves dolls and dressing them as well as dressing herself up. I would leave this stuff out for the mindee and it is never even looked at! When we are outside she has a small world dolls house, play dough, jigsaws as well as the usual ride ons and slides etc. What does she do all afternoon? Lies on the trampoline!

It is really a matter of trial and error I think - how many other mindees do you have? If she has moved from France would there be anything you could do relating to her old life? She is perhaps finding everything a bit much - moving house and school, to a new country, perhaps even with a minder and it seems overwhelming. I think at this stage it is all about building friendships and trust. It will really be trying to tap into something she might like to do rather than you dictating what she can and cannot do!

nokidshere
16-06-2010, 02:40 PM
Why don't you show her a toy catalogue (argos etc) and ask her whaat she likes best out of it? That way you could work out what she likes to do.

mushpea
16-06-2010, 02:52 PM
I have a 7 yrold like this and have had for nearly 2yrs, she likes make belive pretend type play and also craft stuff but is not in to bratz or simlar toys or any type of toy really.
do you know of some other minders that you could meet up with in the hols so she has other children to play with?

Mollymop
16-06-2010, 03:35 PM
5 year old girls like to make and do - threading, jigsaws, painting, sand pit, helping out, reading, stories, tv and dvd's.
I have never known any 5 year old girls who don't know what to do! They seem to be the easiest age to keep entertained imo

Hope she settles ok, I am sure she will get used to it all and you will be wondering what you worried about - just let her go with the flow.

clare78
16-06-2010, 03:35 PM
thanks for all your replys

i think i will try the toy catalogue idea never thought of it

all the minders i no all have little ones at the minute i think