PDA

View Full Version : do you always prewarn a parent...

charliegee
16-06-2010, 10:22 AM
hello all

hope your well!

just a quick one if you wouldn't mind (and apologies as I ALWAYS am asking questions!

do you always phone / text parents if their little one has had a fall with you?

talking a relatively minor accident - graze or small cut or perhaps biting incident? - as in one where no medics needed to be called but that you will record in your accident book IYSWIM?

(ie so they know before pick up or do you just address it at pick up and go through the accident form with them)

x

16-06-2010, 10:24 AM
I fill in an accident form and then talk to parents about it when they come to collect. I look after a mindee that is forever having bumps as he is learning to walk and I think his parents would get sick of me texting them all the time.

kindredspirits
16-06-2010, 10:24 AM
no i only call parents for minor accidents if LO has been very distressed - if its a graze and a cuddle has solved all issues then i tell them at pick up.
if LO cries for longer than 20 mins or so then i let the parents know at some point so they can't blame me for not letting them know. ;)

babs
16-06-2010, 10:26 AM
i dont fone if it a minor accident just tell them when they arrive get them to sign form, go over what happened...... would only call if i couldnt get lo to settle....

Pipsqueak
16-06-2010, 10:27 AM
no i only call parents for minor accidents if LO has been very distressed - if its a graze and a cuddle has solved all issues then i tell them at pick up.
if LO cries for longer than 20 mins or so then i let the parents know at some point so they can't blame me for not letting them know. ;)

ditto to this

little_gems
16-06-2010, 10:29 AM
i just tell parents when they pick them up.

misst104
16-06-2010, 11:37 AM

Exactly what i do too :thumbsup:

x jo

TheBTeam
16-06-2010, 12:18 PM
For minor bumps and scrapes I just tell parent when they pick up, but if it is something that doesnt look good and might shock the parent (not serious just maybe facial graze or nasty bite etc) I do just text to pre warn them about it.

Minstrel
16-06-2010, 12:19 PM
I might also pre warn them if it looks particularly nasty (even if it isn't) especially if the parent is a worrier. Bumps/scrapes to the face/ head particularly on babies can be distressing to some parents if they aren't warned.

Minstrel
16-06-2010, 12:19 PM
X posts B team - great minds!

TheBTeam
16-06-2010, 12:25 PM
X posts B team - great minds!

:laughing: :laughing: :eek:

solly
16-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Any minor bumps & scrapes I just tell the parents when they pick up and get them to sign the accident book

The Juggler
16-06-2010, 01:10 PM
I might also pre warn them if it looks particularly nasty (even if it isn't) especially if the parent is a worrier. Bumps/scrapes to the face/ head particularly on babies can be distressing to some parents if they aren't warned.

I phoned mum the other day (first time in ages) because mindee fell and had huge bump on head. I gave her the option to collect but told her she was fine and laughing and running around again in 5 mins or so. Normally I wouldn't but with head injuries with big bumps I do.

singingcactus
16-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Like others I would only prewarn about serious incidents, and marks on the face that make a parent go :eek: ! Like a face plant in gravel...ouchie!

venus89
16-06-2010, 01:21 PM
Just like the others. But again, if it's a bump to the head, even a little one, I'll let them know

terrydoo73
16-06-2010, 01:33 PM
I had an incident last year which I felt was minor ... Child was aged 3 1/2 constantly running towards things and although I kept telling her to slow down she would fall very easily - I have all concrete no grass. Anyway this child ran out of my back door with me right behind her when she fell. By the time mum came that evening the side of her little ones cheek had gone purple. I listened to that for about a week afterwards - mum didn't believe me at all that she had merely fallen over - felt she had fallen onto something. Refused to sign accident sheet, I even recommended she contact my insurers but she said no all she wanted was for me to be honest about what had actually happened. I was in tears for 2 or 3 nights about it. Anyway my friend was up with me the following week and saw the child - her cheek had gone yellow by this stage and she said to me she could nearly guess what had actually happened. Child had probably bitten the inside of her cheek when she fell thus causing the bruising.

I don't know what to tell parents now when they ask about accidents - I lost all my confidence over this incident and now tend to record every little minor scrape and bruise.

Yesterday my child pushed mindee accidentally and she fell and grazed down one side of her leg. What we had to listen to from that mindee for the next hour was unbelievable (same child!). If a child makes a real issue out of an accident I know now I am in trouble! Glad to be getting rid of her and mother in 2 weeks time, just hope there is nothing major.

On the other hand I remember phoning same mum when her child had been sick 2 days in a row in my house - child had been given strict instructions (by mum and I) to go to the bathroom and be sick in the toilet bowl but of course she just stood and looked at me whining and before I got her moved it went everywhere. Called mum and told her to come and lift the child - after about 1 hour she appeared stating she had called in the local chemist who told her this "bug" was going around and she was furious that I had called her in the first place. Child turned up as usual at my door next morning. Apparently I have been told now that this child does this regularly at home - she eats until she is sick and then is fine!! It is called attention seeking!

Does anyone have anything written into their contracts such as a sickness policy that states the procedure to be followed if a child throws up or does have a minor/major incident that you actually follow to the letter so parents know before hand and you can always say to them "included in your contract which you signed when your child commenced with me"? I mean - something along the lines that an incident recorded as an accident or incident must be signed off by a parent on the day it occurs - that way there is no come back?

charliegee
16-06-2010, 05:40 PM
I had an incident last year which I felt was minor ... Child was aged 3 1/2 constantly running towards things and although I kept telling her to slow down she would fall very easily - I have all concrete no grass. Anyway this child ran out of my back door with me right behind her when she fell. By the time mum came that evening the side of her little ones cheek had gone purple. I listened to that for about a week afterwards - mum didn't believe me at all that she had merely fallen over - felt she had fallen onto something. Refused to sign accident sheet, I even recommended she contact my insurers but she said no all she wanted was for me to be honest about what had actually happened. I was in tears for 2 or 3 nights about it. Anyway my friend was up with me the following week and saw the child - her cheek had gone yellow by this stage and she said to me she could nearly guess what had actually happened. Child had probably bitten the inside of her cheek when she fell thus causing the bruising.

I don't know what to tell parents now when they ask about accidents - I lost all my confidence over this incident and now tend to record every little minor scrape and bruise.

Yesterday my child pushed mindee accidentally and she fell and grazed down one side of her leg. What we had to listen to from that mindee for the next hour was unbelievable (same child!). If a child makes a real issue out of an accident I know now I am in trouble! Glad to be getting rid of her and mother in 2 weeks time, just hope there is nothing major.

On the other hand I remember phoning same mum when her child had been sick 2 days in a row in my house - child had been given strict instructions (by mum and I) to go to the bathroom and be sick in the toilet bowl but of course she just stood and looked at me whining and before I got her moved it went everywhere. Called mum and told her to come and lift the child - after about 1 hour she appeared stating she had called in the local chemist who told her this "bug" was going around and she was furious that I had called her in the first place. Child turned up as usual at my door next morning. Apparently I have been told now that this child does this regularly at home - she eats until she is sick and then is fine!! It is called attention seeking!

Does anyone have anything written into their contracts such as a sickness policy that states the procedure to be followed if a child throws up or does have a minor/major incident that you actually follow to the letter so parents know before hand and you can always say to them "included in your contract which you signed when your child commenced with me"? I mean - something along the lines that an incident recorded as an accident or incident must be signed off by a parent on the day it occurs - that way there is no come back?

thanks for all the replies everyone - I do the same - phone if it looks bad / is a facial injury etc but otherwise for minor things I just get them to sign at pick up and run through it then - nice to know others do the same IYSWIM!

Regarding contracts about sickness etc - I don't have anything specific although wiht hte NCMA ones I think you can ammend them however you like so may add somehting for future reference / mindees

Feel really sorry for you hun about that falling incident - it is such a responsibility looking after little ones isn't it and I'd have had my confidence knocked too in the same circumstances.

Regarding sickness etc I do stick to the 48 hr rule and ask parents to pick up ASAP and sign the register to say time picked up and if the 48 hr rule brings them to the end of the week - then I ask them to sign off those days / hours too with a note to say mindee sent home sick

:)
thanks for the replies everyone xxx