PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you use baby sling/carrier

Fabby
15-06-2010, 08:25 PM
I did the school run with 4 children today baby and one of the 2 yo in buggy, the other 2yo walking (2 yo taking turns 0- well sort of) and a 5 year old. It si less than a mile and took us nearly 40 minutes!!!!! Do any of you use a baby sling or carrier because this would make my school run so much easier whilst waiting to get a bigger car!!!

mamasheshe
15-06-2010, 08:28 PM
i use a buggy board or kid sit (i think the brand) on a double buggy. i use a sling for of the little girls as that's how she's carried at home (i used it for my daughter when she was little)

kindredspirits
15-06-2010, 08:47 PM
yeah i use a sling for my littlest mindee - shes a very small 1 i'd say about the weight of a 7 month old.

Fabby
15-06-2010, 08:59 PM
What do you do when it rains?

dobby
15-06-2010, 11:19 PM
I have done this in the past and depending on which sling i was using i either covered babys head with part of sling, wore baggy coat which covered me and baby or used a warm and waterproof irish wool shawl wrapped around the both of us and pinned - very earth mother that looked but very cosy :D

tbh it was not a big issue, babies are usually well wrapped up so sometimes it was only top of head that needed to be covered so hat would do :)

singingcactus
16-06-2010, 07:12 AM
I have used slings and backpacks before. You should have seen the looks I got when I was carrying a 3 month old on top of my 7 month pregnant bump, whilst pushing 2x1year olds in a buggy with a crowd of school age kids behind me :D .
I use a wrap sling and they are easy to position so child's head is protected from any rain. If I use my back pack it has a framed raincover for it, I don't like that though because if the child squeals excitedly their voice echo loudly into my ears and can be very painful when you have very sensitive hearing.

Chell
16-06-2010, 11:33 AM
You can buy special baby wearing coats but I imagine they are quite expensive.

I used a fleece wrap in winter and a gauze one in summer. I found that the sling made me and DD warm. She rarely needed to wear a coat, a hat was enough for her.

If I was wearing a waterproof coat then I'd just leave it open. I actually don't think I had her in the sling in heavy rain. I used mine for things like walks in the woods where a buggy would have been a pain rather than being a proper baby wearing Mummy.

Fabby
16-06-2010, 11:51 AM
Im glad i have had comments that are for it and not against it - even though i know some people are against it - so which one would you recomend me investing in e.g make?

Ticktoria
16-06-2010, 12:02 PM
I love slings, my daughter was hardly out of hers. My favourites are the the wilkinet (easy to tie yet still flexible and lasts from front to hip carries) and a Didymos which is brilliant, but you do have to 'learn' to tie. I got both of mine second hand from ebay and have had lots of wear and are still in great condition.

There are organisations that do sling rental so you can find the right sling for your needs.

dobby
16-06-2010, 12:21 PM
Its a bit like choosing a pushchair fabby - think about the times you need it for and what you are doing, how long you plan to wear etc :D

I ended up with a few differant types (just like pushchairs!) an over the sholder pouch sling that was great for popping in and out of car to pick up schoolies, or for carrying toddlers too tired to walk the last bit home. A mei tei sling for wriggly babies and a couple of wrap slings for long trips out.

My favourite was this one http://mummasandbubbas.co.uk/tricottisling.aspx very easy to use and very soft so comfy too.

Oh and they are all cheape on ebay!

singingcactus
16-06-2010, 01:11 PM
My favourite shop bought one was one of these http://www.bigmamaslings.co.uk/zen-cart/wraparound-slings-woven-wraparound-slings-c-10_49_88.html

I made some with nice fabric from the fabric shop too.

Fabby
16-06-2010, 07:26 PM
Well i have just ordered this one http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/0980405/Trail/searchtext%3EBABY+CARRIER.htm

Your very right that i may buy this and will want to change for something different in time.... i have just this minute sold the 1st pushchair i brought a few months ago because now i have another that is more practical.

nannymcflea
16-06-2010, 07:33 PM
I found this one fab.

http://www.ergobabycarrier.com/

Everything else hurt my back and shoulders. This allowed me to carry my rather stocky 3 year old up hills when she was tired!:)

onceinabluemoon
16-06-2010, 08:53 PM
I use one of these: http://www.bebeco.co.uk/close-baby-carrier-close-parent---organic-sling-619-p.asp

I love it because baby is really close to you so when you bend over they stay close to you not slip outwards like some of the other sling. In turn this means much better for your back

dobby
16-06-2010, 09:15 PM
Fabby I dont want to sound a wet blanket but dont be surprised if the tomy sling makes your sholders or back ache after using for short periods. They are designed for very young babies who hardly move so any chunky tots who wriggle even the slighest bit can make them very uncomfortable.

They have improved alot over the last couple of years due to increased popularity and availability of better alternatives but i would keep the receipt close by in case you want to return it and buy one of the ones suggested.

Sorry don't want to rain on your parade hun but didnt want you giving up on all slings if this does not suit.

Ticktoria
17-06-2010, 08:39 AM
I was going to post something very similar to Dobby. The rigid carriers are not very versitile and only really for little ones. A simple start point would be some kind of MeiTai carrier, really easy to use but easier on your back and more flexible than a rigid type.

could be wrong and you love it. :)

Fabby
17-06-2010, 11:06 AM
thans for you opinions and im going listen to you!!! someone as contacted me on netmums this morning and she is selling her 'kari me sling' so i am going try that one. just read reviews and all good!