PDA

View Full Version : Advertising before being registered?

MrsShell
15-06-2010, 04:02 PM
Hi

I had my pre-reg visit last week and have sent all my forms off now. I hope (fingers crossed) to be registered by September time or am I being optimistic?!

Does everyone advertise before they are actually registered or do you wait until it is finalised and you have your certificate? I am a bit worried about advertising and then not being registered in time or something going wrong. I'm sure my CRB will be OK because just had one renewed at work in February but still a bit unsure what to do.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Michelle x :jump for joy:

sarah707
15-06-2010, 04:51 PM
I'd wait until your CRB is much further down the line... September is only about 10 weeks away and it might take longer than that.

You could spend the time getting paperwork in order and making nice flyers so you are ready to go.

I hope it all goes smoothly for you! :D

marzi
15-06-2010, 05:05 PM
I have a small ad in my local shop saying i hope to be registered in 6-8 weeks but I put that in today, I didn't want to advertise too early. Like Sarah said, try and sort out paperwork etc now while you have time, that's what I have done. Hopefully I will never have to write another policy again I have plenty!

Mookins
15-06-2010, 06:10 PM
Ive started advertising, just said am not yet registered but am willing to taken enquiries for when i am, and havent given a set date either

gets my name out there and had my first enquiry today for a september start

x x

welshcake
15-06-2010, 06:13 PM
I have my visit next Tuesday and my mentor told me to start advertising now, which i thought was a little bit premature.

I am going to wait until i have had my certificate then advertise i think.

MrsShell
15-06-2010, 07:36 PM
Thanks for all your helpful comments. :thumbsup:

I agree that perhaps it is a bit premature to start advertising yet. I guess I should just concentrate on getting the rest of my paperwork prepared first so I am all ready to go.

However, I like the idea of getting my name out there before registration like Mookins and marzi suggested. I am worried though that if I dont advertise before September that I could possibly miss out on some business if no-one knows about me but as Sarah pointed out, I may not be registered by then as it is only 10 weeks away. What to do?!

I think I will wait a while until I have more idea when my CRB maybe completed.

Thanks again.

Michelle x :laughing:

Mrs Pootle
18-06-2010, 11:04 AM
I had my pre-reg 2 week ago and sent off my CRB forms. My completed CRB has come through today and the online tracking shows that my husbands has been printed & is on its way back too. I should hopefully have my ofsted certificate shortly so it just goes to show it can be very quick. I wasn't planning on starting work until Sept so haven't chased anything up, I must just be very lucky going by some peoples posts on this forum.

MrsShell
18-06-2010, 08:56 PM
Wow, that was quick! Like you, I was hoping to start in September but thought I would put off advertising yet because a lot of people on the forum seem to wait forever for their CRB's to be completed and I dont want to be too premature.

However, I did have a CRB carried out this year for my current job and that only took about 4 weeks, so maybe this one will be the same (fingers crossed). Perhaps I should have an advert prepared just in case!

Michelle x :jump for joy:

jellybean cc
18-06-2010, 10:38 PM
I have a 2 and a 5 year old of my own so have just been telling other parents at parent and toddlers, in the playground off my plans. I went into local shops just asking how much they charge to put a card in there window and telling them it will be when i start. I have told my health visitor, brought it up in conversation with my hairdresser, chatted to my sons teacher about it.

Its a small community here and people gossip so gets my face known around town as starting soon but not directly advertising as it could be weeks yet.

All paperwork has been sent of .

MrsShell
19-06-2010, 08:09 AM
I think that's a good idea. I currently work in a pre-school part time and take my granddaughter to a toddler group. I may just start mentioning to mums etc that I am in the process of registering to become a childminder so at least they know that is what I'm intending to do even though I can't give them a definite date.

Michelle x :clapping:

manjay
19-06-2010, 08:32 AM
I think that's a good idea. I currently work in a pre-school part time and take my granddaughter to a toddler group. I may just start mentioning to mums etc that I am in the process of registering to become a childminder so at least they know that is what I'm intending to do even though I can't give them a definite date.

Michelle x :clapping:

Absolutely! Tell everyone and anyone you see that you are in the process of registering. I learnt the knack of bringing it into every conversation I had before I was registered. Pre-school and toddlers are the best place. I live in a small village and I have never advertised other than telling everyone;) . I also became friends with the other 2 minders in my village and they would pass enquiries on to me.