PDA

View Full Version : Who is not a member of NCMA?

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
15-06-2010, 01:51 PM
I have just recieved my renewal letter through, and to just renew my membership (without insurance) is £50!

I was thinking of changing my insurance to MM anyway as i feel they are far more supporting towards childminders than NCMA insurance is.

So what I am asking is would it be bad for my business if i wasnt a member of NCMA, all i see i get from them is a magazine every few months.

Have you chosen not to be a member? if so why not? and do parents ever ask about it?

AliceK
15-06-2010, 01:58 PM
I have just recieved my renewal letter through, and to just renew my membership (without insurance) is £50!

I was thinking of changing my insurance to MM anyway as i feel they are far more supporting towards childminders than NCMA insurance is.

So what I am asking is would it be bad for my business if i wasnt a member of NCMA, all i see i get from them is a magazine every few months.

Have you chosen not to be a member? if so why not? and do parents ever ask about it?

I'm with MM and chose not to be a member of NCMA after speaking to other childminders. I haven't yet had a parent mention it and to be honest I can't see how it could affect your business really.
I've just got a motor insurance from MM too today and I'm VERY impressed.

xxxxxx

clio0602
15-06-2010, 02:06 PM
I have my insurance with mm and am not a member of NCMA. None of the parents have asked me or even mentioned NCMA to me. To be honest I did mean to become a member but have not got round to doing it yet. Not sure I will tho now HTH x

caz3007
15-06-2010, 02:49 PM
I used to be a member, but now have my insurance via MM. The only person to ever ask me is Mrs O and I just said no I wasnt a member any more and showed her my insurance cert from MM.

No parent has ever asked and I doubt lots wouldnt even know NCMA existed. As long as you can prove to a parent you are insured, then a membership means nothing. It certainly doesnt make anything any better for a parent

Mouse
15-06-2010, 03:04 PM
I am a member of NCMA, but have my insurance through MM.

On a local level, NCMA are very good for childminders. We have several NCMA employees on our Early Years team & they are always fighting for us to get equal training, grants etc. A lot of our training is put on by them, a lot of initiatives are run & funded by NCMA and they are really helpful when we need them.
I've never really had any dealings with NCMA on a national level, but I'm happy to pay my annual membership fee for the benefits we get locally.

If you think all you get is your quarterly magazine, try to find out what they do for you on a local level.

mama2three
15-06-2010, 03:43 PM
I am a member of NCMA, but have my insurance through MM.

On a local level, NCMA are very good for childminders. We have several NCMA employees on our Early Years team & they are always fighting for us to get equal training, grants etc. A lot of our training is put on by them, a lot of initiatives are run & funded by NCMA and they are really helpful when we need them.
I've never really had any dealings with NCMA on a national level, but I'm happy to pay my annual membership fee for the benefits we get locally.

If you think all you get is your quarterly magazine, try to find out what they do for you on a local level.

thats all very true mouse , and Im a member too...but have wondered lately as most of my minding friends arent , yet still get all the above...its starting to irk that Im probably subsidising all the training etc for them! NCMA have pledged support for all minders , members or not.

sarah707
15-06-2010, 04:55 PM
I am not a member of the NCMA and never have been.

No parent has ever known who they are... or if they do know then they haven't commented about my lack of membership.

At the end of the day while I would like to contribute I feel it is too much money and NCMA membership would not make me a better childminder.

:D

kindredspirits
15-06-2010, 05:06 PM
no i'm not a member - i got free membership for a year and didn't feel i got anything out of it so i declined to pay for future membership - no parent has ever asked tbh and i don't feel it is a selling point for my business - i am pretty much full of under 5's so its not put anyone off.

Dragonfly
15-06-2010, 06:06 PM
Same as Sarah707. MM ARE REALLY GOOD:thumbsup:

pinkbutterfly
20-06-2010, 02:30 AM
I am a member of NCMA but I got the funding for that so it didn't come out of my pocket. The only reason I decided to go with them is for the sake of the emergencychildcare website. They require all the childminders on their website to be members of NCMA. Personally I don't know why this is ... I don't think being a member makes you a better childminder. I will see if having the membership brings any extra business for me via emergencychildcare ... if not next year I will go with MM and will not buy extra membership with NCMA.

ruby
20-06-2010, 09:59 AM
We change to MM last year no parent has ever queried it

gosh :eek: pinkbutterfly you are up early or had you not gone to bed.

Cathy

pinkbutterfly
20-06-2010, 09:54 PM
gosh :eek: pinkbutterfly you are up early or had you not gone to bed.
Cathy

I don't sleep on Friday and Saturday nights as I 'work' (or maybe I should say surf the net;) coz this is what I actually do and get paid) 2 night shifts.

Heaven Scent
20-06-2010, 11:03 PM
I am insured with MM and am an NCMA member it only cost me £15 for the year. I agree no parents ask if I am a member and I don't think any would care less if I had it plastered all over the front of my house that I am - I just like getting the mag as it helps me keep up to date.

ORKSIE
21-06-2010, 07:00 AM
I am not a member of NCMA and never have been

I have always been with MM.

I love their Paperwork:thumbsup:

sweets
21-06-2010, 07:07 AM
i am a member at tho mo but it runs out in july and i have decided not to renew and go with mm for a change.