PDA

View Full Version : Childminding groups

venus89
15-06-2010, 12:52 PM
I'm trying to turn my childminding group into a success (:rolleyes: ) and was thinking about inviting people along to do activities/speak to us/educate us - all on a budget of course. We've had a dental nurse and the fire brigade in the past. Have you had anybody along to groups who's been really good/interesting? Any tips for asking people in?

Pipsqueak
15-06-2010, 12:59 PM
oooh we have had St Johns along, storybox lady, rhymetime, sing and sign, police dogs (but the on-show ones obviously not the real deal - too dangerous lol), someone from the exotic pet shop.
We also takes turns (the minders) in providing an activity for that sessions - it really does give a wide range of ideas and takes on different things.
in the nice weather we take it out doors and go to teh park for sports day, treasure hunts or we go down the nature reserve.

Carol M
15-06-2010, 01:08 PM
Our community support officers and a WPC came to my house, they were fab with the children.
Carol x

venus89
15-06-2010, 01:12 PM
oooh we have had St Johns along, storybox lady, rhymetime, sing and sign, police dogs (but the on-show ones obviously not the real deal - too dangerous lol), someone from the exotic pet shop.
We also takes turns (the minders) in providing an activity for that sessions - it really does give a wide range of ideas and takes on different things.
in the nice weather we take it out doors and go to teh park for sports day, treasure hunts or we go down the nature reserve.

Wow! You're so lucky. I wish my group was like that :(
When I started minding there was no group so - being on the parent focus group at the children's centre - arrenged for a slot at the centre. Some weeks it's been just me and my mindees sat there but we are enticing a few new minders along - I think the old ones were stuck in their ways :laughing: . I want to make this a success, but it's a lot for me to do with the DHC, becoming accreddited, plus minding full time and trying to find time for my own family.
You've given me some good ideas there - I might send some emails out. People can only say 'no' to me after all!

venus89
15-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Our community support officers and a WPC came to my house, they were fab with the children.
Carol x

More good ideas, thank you :D

TheBTeam
15-06-2010, 03:51 PM
We have had a school crossing patrol (lollipop man) and a lady from the council promoting recycling to tell recycling stories and a game for the children to join in with around recycling. We have had story tellers from the library.

For the grown ups we have had the firemen (only kidding that was for the kids) the man from the Inland Revenue small business unit was for the adults. We also had someone from the county who was proficient in child car seat/road safety and checked and advised on our car seats.

We have had PCSO, WPC's, and paramedics and police.

We have had an african drummer from our childrens centre, a childrens centre outreach worker to do cooking and activities regularly.

All of the above were completely free, we just buy a small box of chocs or do a thankyou letter with a photo depending on whether it is an organisation or an individual etc.

mamasheshe
15-06-2010, 04:27 PM
we had a lady from the library she was great and did lots of stories, think there a safety lady who's coming with various car seats and things haven't had her yet! someone comes from the local toy library and brings good resources with them :thumbsup: think we've had the fire brigade:thumbsup: and possibly a community support officer?

TammyN
15-06-2010, 05:17 PM
Venus89 your group sounds like mine when i began it was very quiet, today we had 7 cm and lots of children to celebrate childminding week, cc paid for Jo Jingles :clapping: it was brilliant. we are looking at fire, dental promotion, story teller form library, loal bug people, local community police as well as cc playworker once a month to do activity with children and promote EYFS so we can observe:thumbsup:
good luck with your group xx