PDA

View Full Version : Anyone help with a next steps idea?

miss mopple
14-06-2010, 11:38 AM
I have a mindee who is almost 2.5 and doesnt really play with anything except cars and trains and has no imagination to his play really (all he does with the cars is line them up all day)

We are listening to a nursery rhymes cd at the minute and he ran to get an Upsy Daisy toy and bounced it up and down as if dancing, which I think is a bit of a wow moment for him.

Obviously we will do lots more music stuff (which is already in my plans as he isn't talking at all yet and doesnt join in action songs at all), but I want to try to support the imaginative side of his play too.

Any suggestions for next steps for that ob as my minds gone blank :blush:

Pipsqueak
14-06-2010, 11:41 AM
how about songs and rhymes around cars and vehicles - changing words to known songs if necessary
build it up to include planes, trains etc.

Twinklestars
14-06-2010, 11:43 AM
could you have a role play of a bus/train or something like that?? the other day at the childminding group I go to there were 3 kids sat on a bench making bus noises pretending to go to the sea side, i thought it was great, thought it might bring cars into it but a bit of imagination too??

or do you have a garage for the cars, my ds used to love doing them up and down ramps, he struggled with his speech but the speech therapist was imporessed with the imaginary games he played making noises

jumpinjen
14-06-2010, 11:53 AM
You could try to introduce upsy daisy to his car play, making upsy daisy pick up the cars etc, make a toy car or upsy daisy out of boxes..... maybe upsy daisy could have a enw advernture in the car every day or week.... you could take a pic of the car and upsy at the supermarket, pool etc (very embrassing but could be worth it.... or upsy and car could go home for the weekend to document whta he gets up to at home??

I suppose you've done all the stuff like adding planks to roll cars down, rolling them through puddles etc, painting with them

HTH, Jenni x

miss mopple
14-06-2010, 11:56 AM
Lovely ideas, knew I could rely on you lot :thumbsup:

Yes Jen, we have tried using cars in paint/ puddles/ down tubes etc. He likes rolling them down tubes but wouldnt entertain anything else. Love the upsy daisy in a car idea- think I may get a box so we can make our own car for her :thumbsup:

green puppy
14-06-2010, 12:09 PM
My 4 lo's love to put the little chairs in a row, we then click our seat belts on. If we are pretending to be on a tractor we sing " Bouncing up and down on a big green tractor" and then other songs about farms and what we might see,; dingle dangle scarecrow, 5 little ducks, tom farmer, old macdonald etc..... We also use the seats as a bus, train, aeroplane and sing songs or play games associated with which ever vehicle.

The Juggler
14-06-2010, 01:16 PM
could you have a role play of a bus/train or something like that?? the other day at the childminding group I go to there were 3 kids sat on a bench making bus noises pretending to go to the sea side, i thought it was great, thought it might bring cars into it but a bit of imagination too??

or do you have a garage for the cars, my ds used to love doing them up and down ramps, he struggled with his speech but the speech therapist was imporessed with the imaginary games he played making noises

that's great idea, especially if he is keen on lining things up (could also be connecting he is itnerested in) you could line up a row of chairs or cushions touching as the seats.

Even get and paint lots of small cardboard boxes so they can have a carriage each?? Then you could build into roles like ticket seller, drivers passengers.