PDA

View Full Version : parent staying too long

mumof3
13-06-2010, 06:41 PM
hi ladies i have a bit of an issue with a parent staying for ages in the morning when they drop their child off up to half hour some mornings, its really busy that time of morning and i dont want parents hanging around, the parent also does this at pick up time. any suggestions please of how i could approach this?

Pipsqueak
13-06-2010, 06:46 PM
you could try the gentle approach - say to the child - time to say bye bye to mummy so she can go to work and we can get busy playing.

i often find that these 'hints' aren't taken and just jokingly say in a polite manner - looks like it time for you to be going now mum, some of us are busy busy!!!

failing all that - point out to her that she can't stop and there is the door!

loocyloo
13-06-2010, 06:47 PM
i have had everyone ready to go out as soon as they arrive, or pick up!

usually only have to do it a few times!

good luck x

sweets
13-06-2010, 06:50 PM
just tell to her shove off! :laughing:

seriously though
i had a parent that stayed for a little bit every morn as their baby cried A LOT! i was fine with it at first but then when the baby was settled the hanging around still carried on. one morning i just said to dad 'now that x is settled shall we do hand over in the hall so that its easier and then we can both get on with work' he took the hint and thats what we do now.

Pipsqueak
13-06-2010, 06:52 PM
I know .. start playing Gloria Gaynor everytime...

go on now go...
walk out the door..
just turn around now...
you're not welcome any more....

oh ok the last line may be a little harsh:rolleyes: :D

sweets
13-06-2010, 06:56 PM
love it pip!

you could try -

1. open door
2. grab child
3. close door
4. wave out of window with said child.
5. close curtains.
6. done.

onceinabluemoon
13-06-2010, 07:06 PM
I started drop off and pick ups at the front door when I had a parents who stayed ages.

mumof3
13-06-2010, 07:07 PM
its driving me mad, the child is worse to settle cos dad is hanging around. when they arrived the other morning, child said i need toilet i said say bye then and ill take you up to which he threw a paddy and said no daddy take me, after spending ages upstairs ( i dont want parents upstairs in my house), they came down then dad said lets see what we've got to play with then and stayed another 20 mins or so!

huggableshelly
13-06-2010, 07:21 PM
I had one of those, well still do but now its quick as she used to drop off at 9:15 and leave at 9:30 but now we meet at school so i grab child andrun, then at pick up she would arrive at 2:30 and i would be booting her out the door at 3pm to get to school, now she meets me at school so its a quick hand over.

rather inpersonal but it works better for me.

grindal
13-06-2010, 07:23 PM
My first mindees dad was a bit like this - would walk into the front room and start picking up toys etc for mindee. She was quite unsettled so I sent a text and suggested we discussed separation techniques when he came to collect. Basically I just explained that hanging around was making mindee more not less upset, and I suggested he tried handing her over saying goodbye and leaving!

Curly Quavers
13-06-2010, 07:42 PM
its driving me mad, the child is worse to settle cos dad is hanging around. when they arrived the other morning, child said i need toilet i said say bye then and ill take you up to which he threw a paddy and said no daddy take me, after spending ages upstairs ( i dont want parents upstairs in my house), they came down then dad said lets see what we've got to play with then and stayed another 20 mins or so!

Front door step definitely don't even let them in the door. What I do is stand at door take bag and tell LO give daddy a kiss then if they start making a fuss I put bag down pick up child and say again give daddy kiss hold child out for parent to kiss then step back say bye bye have a nice day and shut door.

Done!

:)

Mouse
13-06-2010, 07:47 PM
Hints don't work, you have to be blunt.

I've had parents hang round in the morning & I just tell them it's unsettling for all concerned, so drop off & go.

I have more of a problem getting them to go at pick up time. I'm a naturally chatty person and seem to encorage them! Now I have to remind myself not to chat so much, to hand the bags & child over, say bye & shut the door. Parents don't come into the house, we hand over at the door, so I use the excuse that I have to get back to the other children :thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
13-06-2010, 07:53 PM

sounds like its going to have to be the bull by the horns bit.
Explain to him that he is going to have to supply you with a CRB if he intends to keep staying on your premises regularly for a start. Tell him you have checked with your insurers and they don't advise parents stopping for long periods of time reguarly. (The key word here is reguarly).
Explain to him that its disruptive to your routine and also to his own little one.
Ask him if he would like to review the contracted hours - because if he can hang around of 20 minutes in the mornings effectively he could be saving that money.
If he is hanging around in the evenings - have the child ready before you answer the door and hand them out without inviting the parent in. Again explain that its disrupting your routine and personal household routine and that you will be charging until the child leaves - and your charges after contracted hours are considerably more (aren't they;) ) per 15 minutes. Again explain about CRB and insurance.
Tell them/him you are happy to have a regular meeting with them once a month or a quick 10 minute chat a couple times a week to update him on child and you are available if they would like to make an appointment at any other time.
This is YOUR home - if you don't want parents upstairs then that is ok - say so.

charleyfarley
13-06-2010, 08:05 PM

go on now go...
walk out the door..
just turn around now...

Love it and may just use it, harsh or not :laughing: :laughing:

I just say come on we need to go now to the children :blush:

Not sure parents would linger so much once it's their children being late for school :rolleyes:

I have more problems at home time :mad: I've even started to run the bath just before they get here so they take the hint :laughing:

Carol xxx

Pipsqueak
13-06-2010, 08:12 PM
I have more problems at home time :mad: I've even started to run the bath just before they get here so they take the hint :laughing:

Carol xxx

oh heck no - the parents might think you are inviting them to go and bathe their children before they go home:rolleyes: :laughing:

funemnx
13-06-2010, 08:26 PM
oh heck no - the parents might think you are inviting them to go and bathe their children before they go home:rolleyes: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

blue bear
13-06-2010, 08:36 PM
have had this problem, parent had anxiety at leaving child, would stay anything upto 30 mins (45mins at pre-school) Parent would ask child if ok to go even when I had said "time to say bye now" if child said "no" then would not shift!!

In the end we agreed other parent would drop off as the staying was disruptive to everyone else, it meant I couldn't leave that room unless I took all the other children with me and confused the child in question, Lo was in charge and children don't cope well with that do they?

collection at the door, child ready to go.

Pre-school decided it was drop off at the door.

You need to sit down at chat to parent, find out why? are they frightened of child being upset? Do they just want a feel of what happens at your house? do they feel you expect them to stay?
You could agree to parent peeking through window at settled child, sending texts, daily diary and photos, set limit for drop off (could try egg timer for visual for child), drop off at door all but one day a week,

Good luck - you defeinetly have to tackle this head on and sort it out.:thumbsup:

The Juggler
14-06-2010, 01:29 PM

go on now go...
walk out the door..
just turn around now...

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: