PDA

View Full Version : Risk assessing child??? & baby questions

gem
13-06-2010, 04:23 PM
Do we have to do risk assessment of each child?? As well as home and outings? Do you go over this with parents or do yourself when they start?
Also if you have a baby starting should I have a list of foods for mum to tick and sign that she has tried at home??
Thanks

sarah707
13-06-2010, 08:39 PM
You do not have to risk assess the child.

It is something I have noted Ofsted inspectors advising childminders to do when I look through reports... but it is not a requirement.

It can be useful if you care for lots of children in the Eyfs so that you can show you know them well.

As for food - perhaps just ask mum for a list of favourites? :D

Mouse
13-06-2010, 08:58 PM
I don't risk assess each child, but each child is thought about in my risk assessments.

For example, on my walk to school risk assessment I consider the roads. I think of the possible risks for each of the children I have (eg. the baby in the buggy, the toddler who might run off, the older child who has a bit more road sense). When a new child starts with me, I look at the risk assessments again to see if there would be any additional risks for that child that haven't already been covered. I don't name the children on the RA's, but each child's individual risks are considered.

gem
14-06-2010, 08:02 AM
Thank you seems so much to think about when you are starting out!!:panic: