PDA

View Full Version : snacks??

mushpea
13-06-2010, 02:24 PM
what do you all give?
As of tommoro i am no longer providing hot evening meals and am replacing them with a snack so the children can eat at home with their parents.
I was going to offer them a peace of fruit each night after school then possibly a biscuit about 5.30pm if they dont go home till 6pm to keep them going, does this sound ok? My OH says they will get bored with fruit and that i should offer different stuff

Chatterbox Childcare
13-06-2010, 02:28 PM
I wouldn't give them biscuits half an hour before they go home but maybe beans on toast when they come in from school and 6pm collection is late

sweets
13-06-2010, 02:28 PM
kids are usually starving after school so what about

toast, toasted teacakes, crumpets, cup of soup and bread, breadsticks and dips, pancakes, yogurts, an ice-cream, bagel, croissant.

cant think of any more at mo!

sillysausage
13-06-2010, 02:32 PM
I give fruit plus something else which might be toast, crumpets, malt loaf, homemade bun/biscuit, sandwich. They need to clear the fruit plate first otherwise I judge that they are not that hungry, likewise if they get down from the table and go play. One mindee is always extremely hungry after school and will demolish all the fruit plus cheese sandwiches made with 4 slices of bread, then go home and have a full tea. Naturally this child is built like a stick and has hollow legs. Thankfully this mindee only comes twice a week otherwise my cupboards would be bare lol!!:laughing:

mushpea
13-06-2010, 06:25 PM
so do you give them the choice every nite of the things you all said or do you say tonight its toast tommoro its fruit cake etc? or would you say somthing like its cheese on toast or fruit today?
I dont want snack to be complicated, just a quick and easy thing to do after school so they can then go and play or , when i put it up, all go outside and then those who want to can go in the pool.

Monkey26
13-06-2010, 06:30 PM
Fresh fruit salad (those coloured ikea bowls-full up) with a breadstick (or rice cake, ritz or cracker and cheese) followed by a biscuit or ice pop if its hot! Keeps my lot full up until collection and i have some big 8/9 year olds! :) x

Fabby
13-06-2010, 06:56 PM
I do maybe a sandwich, toasted teacake, crumpets (their fav), a wrap, crackers and cheese - and then i sometimes give them a piece of fruit, breadsticks or raisins if they have ate all of any of those mentioned. Sometimes they ask for more but i say that they have their tea to eat when they get home. It is just a case of 'keeping them going' in my eyes

francinejayne
13-06-2010, 07:09 PM
I only offer a small snack as if I give anything substantial my own 2 year old will not eat his tea!
So for us it's fruit, or rice cakes, or bread stick and hummus.
I don't have any late pick up's though which makes it easier!

Mouse
13-06-2010, 07:10 PM
For after school snack I do things like:

cheese, crackers & fruit
bread sticks, carrot sticks & hummus
toasted crumpets & banana
bread & butter, ham & cucumber sticks
bagel, cream cheese & grapes

I never cook anything that needs more than toasting & I never do anything that needs a knife & fork!
I don't give a choice, but I wouldn't give something if a child was here & I knew they didn't like it.

nannymcflea
13-06-2010, 07:19 PM
What about letting them decide what you have on different days, do a menu and pop it on the fridge.

Then at least if they moan, it was their choice to begin with!

I'd go with toast, crumpets,mini pancakes etc but also a choice of fruit.

Fruit alone doesn't fill a hungry after schooler.

sillysausage
13-06-2010, 07:54 PM
do you give them the choice every nite of the things you all said

I generally give them the choice of 2 things eg. Would you like toast or maltloaf? Sometimes they ask for specific things. I go with the flow really.