PDA

View Full Version : terrible 2s?

samkeddy
12-06-2010, 07:27 PM
hi everyone,
I asked for advice on here about my sulky mindee and it worked a treat shes nearly stoped altogether now!
So now i need parentin advice please, my daughter is 2 but her understandin and speech are amazin (really im not jst a biased mum) most of the time shes a good girl but at the moment she has times when shes really tryin me she can be very arguementative, very defiant and cheeky, or jst ignores me. I dont no how best to deal with her behaviour, does ignorin her mean shes gettin away with it? Is time out the right thing? Any advise would be helpfull please!
A

Hebs
12-06-2010, 07:29 PM
my mum calls them...

the terrible 2's
the :censored: 3's
the :censored: 4's

then they start school :laughing:

yes time out all the way

beccas
12-06-2010, 07:33 PM
3 warnings then time out i feel for you you seen my lads i care for...lol

funemnx
12-06-2010, 08:12 PM
my mum calls them...

the terrible 2's
the :censored: 3's
the :censored: 4's

then they start school :laughing:

yes time out all the way

Then they're 16, 17 18....... :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hebs
12-06-2010, 08:46 PM
Then they're 16, 17 18....... :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

nannymcflea
12-06-2010, 09:09 PM
Try and think of it as the "terrific two's".

Your dd is asserting her independance, she's becoming "her", pushing her boundaries and finding where she fits in.

I'd just ignore where possible but when you mean it, stick with it, don't argue, repeat what you say, calmly and try and turn everything you can into something positive and fun (if possible).

Having 2 girls myself, she sounds pretty normal to me and mine, at 7 and 10, still do the same thing!

sarah707
12-06-2010, 09:09 PM
She is absolutely normal!

She is asserting her independence and learning about her sense of self.

She needs firm boundaries and lots of support and guidance as she works out her place in the pecking order of the household.

Apparently it gets easier when they leave home :laughing: :D

nannymcflea
12-06-2010, 09:13 PM
She is absolutely normal!

She is asserting her independence and learning about her sense of self.

She needs firm boundaries and lots of support and guidance as she works out her place in the pecking order of the household.

SNAP!:laughing:

Hebs
13-06-2010, 07:28 AM

my mum would disagree :laughing:

apparently she feels it in her bank balance (my bro is always on the scrounge at the moment its to help pay for his wedding............. so far it's cost then over £20k... why i'll never know) :laughing:

jumpinjen
13-06-2010, 07:46 AM
I agree with those that say she is testing her boundaries and finding where she fits in the world. I have never done time-out and managed to ride the rocky times like this by remaining firm and un-ruffled and acknowledging that the child feels cross etc but that you are still going to tidy up, have lunch, go out, whatever then calmly getting on with it. It is hard to do sometimes as they can push really hard. There are some child theorists who say that children are not capable of doing as they are told 'all the time' at such a young age and that they will do what they are told when it fits in with what they want to do. it's a normal developmental thing and time out is not the only answer....... you can juist breeze over it. Not making her do your bidding every time doesn't mean that you are 'letting her get away with it' and she won't grow up a tearaway, she will grow up confident that she can express her side of things without being excluded from the room/play for a time for not comforming instantly. try giving her two choices, both of which you would be happy with such as.....shall we tidy the jigsaw first or the bricks? Shall we have cheese sandwiches for lunch or ham? Shall we take socks or t-shirt off first for bath time? This will help her to feel that she has some control in her little life.... try letting her choose her own clthes in the morning (from a small slection if can't deal with wacky combinations!!), make her own breakfast, help you wash up etc.... more time-comsuming and messy thatn normal but worth it for the sense of autonomy and independence that your daughter will gain.

good luck, deep breaths!!

jen x:)

samkeddy
13-06-2010, 07:00 PM
Thanks for your comments, (i didnt realise this had posted, i did it from my phone and it crashed halfway through so only just seen it now ive come on the laptop)

nokidshere
13-06-2010, 10:49 PM
The person who coined the phrase "the terrible twos" obviously hadn't yet had a 3 year old :laughing: