PDA

View Full Version : never get on any!!

Pudding Girl
28-03-2008, 01:20 PM
Does anyone else have the same problem as me?? In the last year of pre-reg and now being reg since late last year, I have applied to go on numerous courses, I always send the application straight back to the childcare partnership, but am always missing out! What if it I cannot get my first aid done by autumn when it runs out?!

FFS

littlestar
28-03-2008, 01:23 PM
i just ring them up and book it on my food hygiene and first aid i emailed them and asked them to researve a place for me and they did or you could do your first aid privitly through the college

katickles
28-03-2008, 01:26 PM
Yes i know exactly how you feel. I have had my name down for courses since October & have just this week got a date through. Its for business & management. Its still not until May. I really wanted to do this quickly as its obviously going to help with doing my accounts etc but hay ho!

Hope you get on the courses your after soon! :)

Twinkles
28-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Some minder friends and I are in the same boat. First aid runs out in May and we couldn't get booked on a course.
So one of the minders booked a hall and hired a company to send a trainer to us for two days.
We are splitting the cost between twelve of us.
You should be able to do this too if you ask around at toddlers or other minders at school.

charleyfarley
28-03-2008, 01:34 PM
I've never had a problem getting on any courses I've chosen to do although I know others have had a problem getting on the first aid course

Good luck with getting on one in time

Carol xx

Banana
28-03-2008, 02:22 PM
I've always gotten on courses no problem...

but then I call and ask whats coming up and get booked on as soon as a release date comes out... I was one of the first people booked on my EYFS training because I called and asked about dates (I had been hassling) and she said 'oh we've just had them confirmed today' so i got her to book me on there and then. Another childminder asked 'how I managed that cos nobody knew about the courses'

I just said I'd called about them. Didnt seem to go down very well that i knew and she didnt.

Just keep ringing when you want a course and eventually you will get booked on

xxxxx

fionamal
28-03-2008, 03:42 PM
Must just be us in Scotland. My First Aid course is in March and ive been waiting since Dec 06 for it.

Alot of courses are full before the paperwork is even sent out. Takes me ages to get on anything these days. So far there doesnt seem to be any more courses set for this year.

emler
28-03-2008, 03:43 PM
Definately seems to be a Scottish thing. Everytime I apply for a course its already full grrrrrrrrrrrrr :mad:

Emler x

miffy
28-03-2008, 03:50 PM
I haven't had any trouble getting on courses but have done what Twinkles did and hire someone to do a first aid course for a group of us - this was before it was mandatory.

It seems silly if courses that are already full are being advertised - our eydcp is thinking about charging people or refusing them training if they book on courses and don't turn up which is a good thing especially if others would have taken their places

Hope you get on a course soon
miffy xx

Pudding Girl
28-03-2008, 03:52 PM
Our childcare partnership basn you from going on their free courses if you do not attend, and quite rightly so imho!!

I wonder if it is a funding issue, with Scotland seeming to be a bit of a problem area?

miffy
28-03-2008, 03:56 PM
It sounds like it - I thought it might be people were booking places but not using them but if they get banned they probably won't do that

Perhaps not enough money is going into training in the first place - complain to the care commission see if anything happens

miffy xx

Pudding Girl
28-03-2008, 03:58 PM
I doubt the CC would have any jurisdiction over it, I might venture onto the SCMA forum boards and see if anything has been said there...

sarah707
28-03-2008, 04:32 PM
I had problems this time Lou, I applied for 4 different courses and only got on one... thank goodness it was the first aid that I needed! :D

deeb66
31-03-2008, 09:56 AM
I think I must be lucky

I would say that I get on most of the courses i apply for.....in fact I think there was only one that I didn't in the last 12 months.

Looks like Surrey are coming up trumps again!

sarah707
31-03-2008, 10:02 AM
Looks like Surrey are coming up trumps again!

Cheshire used to be brilliant... not sure what's happened to them at the moment!

I don't want to move back down south again! :panic: :laughing:

crazybones
31-03-2008, 10:05 AM
I have posted my application for these 4 this morning. Wonder if I will get on any?

CIEH Foundation Certificate in Health and Safety
Starting on Solid Food
Movement in Early Years
Promoting Physical Play.

deeb66
31-03-2008, 10:07 AM
I can't promote Surrey Early Years enough......have to say they are brilliant!

Was out on a course on saturday......it did mean giving up my whole saturday but it was worth it!

i went on a Persona Doll course.

I found out that the course cost over £700 for 25 delegates plus the cost of hire for the venue (don't know how much that was)

Surrey also gave every delegate a Persona Doll which costs £60 and they have run about 10 different workshops on this subject........must have cost them an absolute fortune!

Have to say it was well worth going to :thumbsup:

Rubybubbles
31-03-2008, 03:00 PM
bedforshire I really good for courses!

I sent stuff out before xmas, and they phoned me saying one of the dates I wanted (first aid) wasn't avaible, when do I need it by, so I said mine runs out in May, so she managed to get me on one for April phew, but she was really helpful and and if one wasn't avaible they would do a letter to cover to say trying to get on one ect for Ofsted:clapping:

EYFS they have had courses running once a month since Sept, and the NCMA locally are also running a storter course once a month too:clapping: (got mine in May)