PDA

View Full Version : Am beginning to regret my decision

KarenM
11-06-2010, 08:16 PM
Hi all, having a bit of a tough time at the moment. I made the decision to become a childminder in January and jumped through the various hoops for my registration. I was forced to leave my job as deputy manager at a nursery due to my intention of leaving before I had any mindees lined up. The first one pulled out the night before signing contracts, second one never turned up, had people enquire and seem interested but never get back to me. Now have a parent that was keen to fill out Uni forms until she realised she would have to pay even when children weren't with me i.e holiday retainer etc. Have one hopeful coming back on the 21st (at least until they cancel) and had a call from the children's centre today to inform me the cover work i was supposed to be doing for them isn't needed now.

I know I haven't been registered long, but I've advertised everywhere I can think of, told just about the world and it's mother about my childminding and nothing.

So far we are ok financially until the end of the month and then I'm off down that stream looking for my paddle. I'm beginning to get really demoralised and regret giving up a secure job for all this stress. The reason I wanted to leave was because of the bullying and stress at work, but I think I would rather have that at the moment. :(

Gizmo
11-06-2010, 08:26 PM
Try not to lose heart, I reg in June last year and started minding in August and dont regret it for a moment hang in there it will happen for you xx

Pipsqueak
11-06-2010, 08:29 PM
you have all my sympathy hun - things in our area have been extremely tough for many of us established minders.

it WILL happen - the time is right because people will be thinking about September.
go and hand out some leaflets outside the local schools, get round the industrial estates and ask to put leaflets up in their staff rooms.
do a leaflet drop in your area.

do make sure you rates are competitive
it might be worth thinking - just to get that first job could you afford to drop the holiday retainer or negotiate a flat rate?
I totally understand if that is not feasible.

crazyhazy
11-06-2010, 08:37 PM
I have been in a similar position, registered in April and had a mindee lined up but not great hours and the college were paying me so wouldn't pay during holidays etc but I took it anyway to get started. The parent has just finished college this week so am back to no mindees now, but in the last 2 weeks I have had some fab enquirys. I now have a baby coming to sign contracts next week, 2 days from oct then 4 days in jan and had a after schooler visit yesterday who are also coming back next week to sign, that's 2 full days in hols and 5 after school sessions term time. I'm not counting anything until the contracts are signed but feeling very positive! Also, had an old school friend enquire for her baby who is going to contact me in a few weeks once she knows what's happening.

Also, if you're not working you should be claiming JSA which will help to cover things financially, lots of good luck vibes headed your way xx

KarenM
11-06-2010, 08:39 PM
I would happily drop the retainer fee if it would get me that first parent, however I think she now feels she should only have to pay me for when I have the children during term time too, and that would mean keeping two spaces open for two days a week for nothing. And Uni is paying anyway! But just found out she has booked LO in at local nursery two days a week and I think she just wants me on standby until he gets the other two days there.

Playmate
11-06-2010, 08:39 PM
you have all my sympathy hun - things in our area have been extremely tough for many of us established minders.

it WILL happen - the time is right because people will be thinking about September.
go and hand out some leaflets outside the local schools, get round the industrial estates and ask to put leaflets up in their staff rooms.
do a leaflet drop in your area.

do make sure you rates are competitive
it might be worth thinking - just to get that first job could you afford to drop the holiday retainer or negotiate a flat rate?
I totally understand if that is not feasible.

I agree totally with Pip, I was in a similar positon to you 5 years ago when coming back into childminding after doing a 3 year stint in a stable job. my first 2 potential mindees fell through day before comencement and it seemed to take an age to get going. I had to drop my hrly rate slightly and do a bit of negotiation with the next enquiry. It got him through the door and then 2 more came. After that my fees soon went up and then could afford to be more picky and choosy.

Good luck. Sending you phone ringing vibes xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Carol M
11-06-2010, 08:44 PM
Definitely a tough time but September is round the corner.
I have been minding for 10yrs nearly and last year was ill and had to have 6mths off. I lost all my business.I had 2 sets of siblings , one set went to a nursery as my back ups didn't have 2 spaces and the others I fell out with, long story. Back to work last november but still not filled my spaces, not through want of trying tho.
I have had a few look ats on childcare.co.uk and one visit but still waiting for confirmation of hrs needed. Stress levels are high but I know what this business is like, it can change very quickly.
Fingers crossed for you. It is a fab job just unpredictable at times.
Carol x

little_gems
11-06-2010, 09:33 PM
it is sometimes really hard. i no when i came back off maternity leave it took me ages to fill my spaces.

I would go round to all local school even one's that arent local and hand out leflets try and go to parent night as well as its about this time as new aprents go and look around schools.

Keep going and i hope something comes along soon.
x

The Juggler
11-06-2010, 10:22 PM
oh hon. I'm sorry. things will pick up. I know you want to work all year round but if you are getting enquiries for t-time only it might be worth taking on the work. You can always spread the pay over 12 months and then continue to look for all year round work.

Monkey26
11-06-2010, 10:35 PM
It really can swing in roundabouts... i was one of the few minders in my area that was totally full and then all of a sudden i recieved notice from 4 families in the space of two weeks!!!
1. One child went to full time school (obviously knew this was coming!)
2. another family hit financial issues - siblings!
3. one of the mums who had all 3 of her children with me registered as a minder herself
4. the mum who registered was auntie to another child in my care!!!

Now that was a massive knock to, not only my financial situation, but my confidence as well.

I refused to put up lots and lots of posters and flyers (thats just me) so i spent a lot of time catching up on all my paperwork and then i got a part time job (9 hours a week) in a sports centre creche and minded around these hours... as soon as i stopped stressing about it the calls started coming (word of mouth-its the biggest advertiser) now i am full again :clapping: i left the creche after 5 months and brought 2 of the kids from the creche me haha as the parents liked me so much!!!

Try to focus your attention on something else for a while, can u catch up on paperwork, policies etc or maybe even enrol in an NVQ or look to becoming an EYP? Good luck! xx

MAWI
11-06-2010, 10:45 PM
I was in exactly the same boat as you. It sso hard to begin with. I gave a well paid job to become a childminder and sat waiting for the callls to come in for 4 months, nothing.
But as previous posts have said, it will happen. I would be flexible on the first contract just to get the work, you can always review it at a leter date. Its all about word of mouth and when people see that you are minding it may get better.
I can remember someone visiting me but she said because she could not see me with any other children she'd rather not use me.
I took my first child on and did apreschool run out of area just for the work, then I got work form the preschol I was dropping off at, then it went from there. Three years, I have not stopped and luckily been fairly busy.
Hang in there, it does not happen overnight. In a years time you'll be so busy you'll forget about this blip

miffy
12-06-2010, 07:38 AM
Like the others have said, it's hard to get started sometimes but it will happen.

Sending you lots of positive vibes

Miffy xx

Bitsy Beans
12-06-2010, 07:48 AM
I registered in Mar 09 and it took me til August to get ONE child ONE day a week :eek: I've found it really hard and what work I've had came in dribs and drabs. One mindee is leaving at end of school term so I shall be losing income and I've only got one new mindee (afterschool 4 days a week and hols) lined up. Had one parent round and heard nothing from her.

I do think other CM's are the best source of business - do you know any of your local CM's? Do they have a local toddler group you could attend and spread the word there?

Waveawand
12-06-2010, 02:07 PM
Just some consolatory hugs for you all :group hug: It is tough getting work - I defo agree with the other CMs/word of mouth. Also (though Ive not tried this as am soo shattered by the end of the day) is to do some babysitting - gets your foot in the door so to speak and everybody wants a night off !! Also flyers out at school or on the school notice board - thats what Im trying next good luck and keep your chin up !! it is tough but you'll get there!!!!

KarenM
12-06-2010, 04:14 PM
Hi all, well I tried dropping my rate as well as working it out over twelve months for this parent. She wanted me extra in the holidays but just wasn't prepared to pay for the spaces if her children didn't come. Just wanted to pay if they did. I don't mind doing ad hoc days for parents as I did last week during the hols, but not as she wanted two spaces two days a week for her use. And I got a text saying no thanks.

Oh well, have contacted some local childminders and asked if they would be willing to pass my details on if they had an enquiry they couldn't cater for. I know financially I'm stressing, but on the up side I've been able to spend some quality time with my daughter.

And thanks for all your well wishes, just need something to focus on.

sillysausage
12-06-2010, 05:17 PM
Now have a parent that was keen to fill out Uni forms until she realised she would have to pay even when children weren't with me i.e holiday retainer etc

One way to get round issues over holiday payments (particularly if someone other than the parent is paying) is to bump up your normal weekly fee to cover what you lose in the holidays.

Sending good vibes etc to fill your places pronto!

If money gets really tight could you consider a part-time evening job at a supermarket maybe?