PDA

View Full Version : air bags...front seat...mindees

theplayroom
11-06-2010, 07:33 PM
Hi im unsure of the guidelines of having what aged children in the front and also if you cant turn the airbag off? At the mo my car doesnt have a airbag in the fron and i put a baby in a rear facing seat there but im trying to buy a new car and many you cant turn the airbag off...ive looked on line and the law is very confusing and basically says refure to car manual?! Can anyone let me know what they do??

Basically is i have an airbag in the front what children can i put there??

All friendly advise welcome x

king
11-06-2010, 07:59 PM
I was wondering the same thing on the way to school. My own children are 1y and 4y and I have always turned it off for them but now Iv started minding and have older children im not sure. Sorry im no help but I hope someone has the answer.

Curly Quavers
11-06-2010, 08:05 PM
The law is very confusing on this I THINK.

I have had so many arguments with my dh over this.

He says that if I have an older child in the front who is forward facing I don't need to tun it off but I can't find anything to confirm or deny it anywhere.

We are lucky we drive a Picasso and you turn off the air bag with your drivers key it takes seconds.

Mookins
11-06-2010, 08:28 PM
ive just posted this similar question on someone whos posted a link about the rules to seatbeslts

x x

Zoomie
11-06-2010, 08:31 PM
You must be able to turn off the airbag for your front passenger.

Look through your car manual or go to your car's dealership and ask them how to do it.

When you know how to turn the bag off, it will open up your options with regards to carseats / children sitting there.

Mookins
11-06-2010, 08:33 PM
The law is very confusing on this I THINK.

I have had so many arguments with my dh over this.

He says that if I have an older child in the front who is forward facing I don't need to tun it off but I can't find anything to confirm or deny it anywhere.

We are lucky we drive a Picasso and you turn off the air bag with your drivers key it takes seconds.

oooh we have a picasso too...have yet to find where to turn air bag off...any tips as to where it hiding x x

Pipsqueak
11-06-2010, 08:34 PM
Airbags can seriously hurt or kill a child under the age of 12 (thinking about the average size of a 12 year old).
Has anyone seen the damage an airbag can do to someone. My friends airbag deployed in a minor prang and the burns, bruises and abrasions he had on his face it looked like he had been battered.

it is NOT recommended that a child under the age of 12 - sit in the front where there is an airbag present. It can crush a small child, especially a rear facing seat as it would be pushed hard into the carseat.

Beetlejuice
11-06-2010, 08:35 PM
It's so confusing isn't it? Basically what I do is if I have to use the front seat I put my DD there (aged 6) in a high backed booster seat, as far back from the airbag as possible. I don't put mindees in the front at all if I can help it - though some of their parents have them in their front seats (including a 2 year old I have who sits in the front WITHOUT a car seat :angry: - we've had stern words and it has stopped).

Pipsqueak
11-06-2010, 08:35 PM
http://www.safermotoring.co.uk/airbag-safety-children.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8458944.stm

Beetlejuice
11-06-2010, 08:37 PM
it is NOT recommended that a child under the age of 12 - sit in the front where there is an airbag present. It can crush a small child, especially a rear facing seat as it would be pushed hard into the carseat.

I'm not doubting you at all Pip but do you have a link to any websites with the law/recommendations on?? I've been trawling for ages trying to find a definitive answer. Thanks :)

ETA - thanks Pip, we crossed posts!

Mookins
11-06-2010, 08:39 PM
Airbags can seriously hurt or kill a child under the age of 12 (thinking about the average size of a 12 year old).
Has anyone seen the damage an airbag can do to someone. My friends airbag deployed in a minor prang and the burns, bruises and abrasions he had on his face it looked like he had been battered.

REALLY?:eek:
right no more front seat for my dd

thanks for the info
x x

Pipsqueak
11-06-2010, 08:40 PM
I'm not doubting you at all Pip but do you have a link to any websites with the law/recommendations on?? I've been trawling for ages trying to find a definitive answer. Thanks :)

ETA - thanks Pip, we crossed posts!

I don;t think there is any guidelines or ages Beetle.
sorry, i was only trying to stress that the recommendation is 12yrs rather than seeming to force my opinion across:o

Seatbelts can be just as dangerous - they are not designed for young children (or women!) - especially children on a booster, they should have the strap guidance system to get the correct height and position.

sorry learnt a lot of this from my firefighter brother.

Pipsqueak
11-06-2010, 08:42 PM
REALLY?:eek:
right no more front seat for my dd

thanks for the info
x x

check the second link I have posted about 3 posts back - tragic stuff.

Mookins
11-06-2010, 08:58 PM
check the second link I have posted about 3 posts back - tragic stuff.

:panic: :(

oh goodness me...thats awful, just told hubby def no more front seat...thought we was doing right with her seat etc but its the airbag.....

that poor mother:(
x x

Beetlejuice
11-06-2010, 09:05 PM
I don;t think there is any guidelines or ages Beetle.
sorry, i was only trying to stress that the recommendation is 12yrs rather than seeming to force my opinion across:o

Don't apologise!! You didn't come across as forceful at all, thanks for the links. :D

Pipsqueak
11-06-2010, 09:12 PM
ROSPA info:
http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/adviceandinformation/vehiclesafety/in-carsafetycrash-worthiness/airbags.aspx

Conclusion and Advice
Airbags are an effective secondary safety measure that reduces the risk of injury for vehicle occupants, in more severe collisions. RoSPA supports the fitment of airbags in vehicles if they are used in conjunction with - but not in place of - seat belts.

However, a number of problems with airbags have been identified, although many of these relate to American airbags. UK car users can avoid such problems by the following steps:

Seat belts should always be worn properly, and should be adjusted so as to be as tight as possible across the body. Drivers and front seat passengers should ensure that as far as possible they are sitting squarely in their seat
Rearward-facing child seats MUST NOT be placed on the front passenger seat if a passenger airbag is fitted.
If a rearward-facing child seat must be used, the passenger airbag must be disengaged first. (This should only be done by a main distributor, or qualified vehicle engineer. Check whether it voids the vehicle warranty or affects the driver’s insurance policy).
A forward facing child seat should only be used in the front seat if it can be positioned so the child is out with the deployment zone of the airbag.
The driver’s seat should be positioned as far back as possible while ensuring that the driver can safely and comfortably operate all of the vehicle’s controls.
Drivers should always use the ten-to-two or quarter-to-three hand position on the wheel, when driving. If the airbag fires with their arm across the wheel, the impact will break the arm.
Disabled drivers who need to sit within the deployment zone of the airbag or who need to drive with their arm across the steering wheel, may be unsafe with an airbag.
Airbags should be replaced if they deploy and most manufacturers recommend replacement of unused airbags after 10 years. Check manufacturers guidance.
Clear guidance from manufacturers, vehicle dealerships and garages should be available, and where the use of an airbag is contra indicated for safety reasons it should be easier to have them disabled.

Rearward Facing Child Seats
A rearward-facing child seat MUST NOT be used on the front passenger seat if a passenger-side airbag is fitted, because the child seat projects into the airbag deployment zone. If the airbag is triggered, it will hit the child seat and accelerate both it and the child towards the rear of the vehicle.

Forward Facing Child Seats
There is some indication that even with forward-facing child seats, airbags could impinge on the restrained child, if the car seat is positioned too far forwards or the child seat is not securely fitted.

To prevent this, fit them securely, outside the deployment zone of the airbag. Either fit them in the back of the car if this means that they are clear of any side impact bags, or if it must be fitted in the front, ensure that the car seat is as far back as possible, and stays there, and that this takes the child and seat out of the deployment zone. The car manufacturer will be able provide information on the extent of the deployment zone.

Pregnant Women
Concerns have been expressed regarding the potential harm airbags may cause to unborn children. An eight-month pregnant woman in the USA reportedly lost her unborn child when an airbag deployed whilst she was in the front passenger seat although she only suffered bruising herself. There has been no similar cases reported in Britain, however as a precaution, pregnant women should have the car seat positioned as far back as possible, to take them out of the deployment zone.

theplayroom
12-06-2010, 08:28 AM
You must be able to turn off the airbag for your front passenger.

Look through your car manual or go to your car's dealership and ask them how to do it.

When you know how to turn the bag off, it will open up your options with regards to carseats / children sitting there.

You cant always for example i looked at a hyundi (sp) you cant turn them off at all.

aly
12-06-2010, 09:09 AM
also you need to check yourcar insurance...ifyou turnoff the airbag do you invalidate your insurance???.....worth checking.

loocyloo
12-06-2010, 06:42 PM
i can't turn the airbag off in my toyota, and toyota told me that as long as the front seat was as far back as it will go, and the child is in the correct carseat for size/weight, (AND the car seat FITS the car!) then that is fine.

you MUST NOT use a rear facing carseat in the front though, if the airbag can not be turned off.

i usually put my DS in the front, as he is almost the oldest!

my DH had a smart car when ds was tiny and i went loopy at him :angry: , as you can't turn the airbag off, and its only 2 seats! smart sell 'smart' carseats, suitable from 9mth upwards, and i researched and argued with lots of people until i was convinced it was ok! they also said that you have to have the front seat as far back as it will go, and have the correct seat fitted.

Curly Quavers
13-06-2010, 10:38 AM
oooh we have a picasso too...have yet to find where to turn air bag off...any tips as to where it hiding x x

Hey sorry it has taken me so long.

Open the passenger door there is a key slot at the end of the dash at down the side there put the key in turn to the off position hope that helps x