PDA

View Full Version : Assistant question

snufflepuff
10-06-2010, 08:48 PM
I have just been having a look through the Ofsted website and just wanted to check with you ladies (because you make more sense than Ofsted!)

Am i right in thinking that i can apply to use my Mum as an assistant, and this would mean i can leave her alone with mindees while i am elsewhere on the premises? And also that i can leave her alone in the house with children in the early years age group for a short time, for example to do the school run?
She already comes round on her day off work and helps me out because she enjoys it. I never leave her alone with the children but it would make life so much easier if i could! I dont mean to leave the house and do the weekly shop or anything, just to be able to make lunch while Mum is in the garden with the children for example. I wouldnt want to increase my ratio as it is not guaranteed that she will be here every week.
Would i have to pay for her CRB or do Ofsted cover this?

green puppy
10-06-2010, 09:13 PM
She would need to fill out a form for ofsted to have an enhanced crb and to be approved as a suitable person by ofsted. I think the form is in free down loads or on the ofsted website. To be left in sole charge an assisstant must have paediatric first aid and permission from parents.

Blue Boy
11-06-2010, 04:36 PM
we have our 17 year old son registered as an assistant. He has an enhanced crb and we have it written on our certificates that children may be left with an assistant with permission of the paarents.

snufflepuff
11-06-2010, 05:28 PM
Ok sounds easy enough then, i shall give ofsted a ring and get the ball rolling.

little_gems
11-06-2010, 09:35 PM
just so u no you can do it by e-mail which is quicker as they cant say it got lost in the post ( a favourite with ofsted).

Ive got a concent form that just says that the children might be left with an assistant for a short peroid of time which is set my ofsted.

little daisies
12-06-2010, 04:28 AM
i was told by ofsted a few years ago that if my mum was to come round on a regular basis for a few hours she would have to be crb checked. so as i read it your mum should be crb checked as she comes round on her day off reguarly. i may of changed now i don`t know

piglet1973
12-06-2010, 06:49 AM
my mum works full time with me as an assistant and is crb checked and first aider and it is great not working alone i do also have my dad crb checked and my brother as they are frequent visitors