PDA

View Full Version : Parents expectations of childminder

Wizbit80
10-06-2010, 06:39 PM
What do parents expect from their childminder?

businnes minded and focussed on correct contracts and money, or does it put parents off when ur too laid back about things and not business minded enough.

I have 2 sets of parents both very chilled out, got another set coming tomorrow, just wondering if I am too relaxed and not busines minded enough do they not think i am taking the buisness serious enough.

sorry just a wondering:blush:

The Juggler
10-06-2010, 09:22 PM
I think there is a minder/parent for everyone. as long as laid-backness is not at expense of proffesionalism and likewise professionalism is not at expense of being human with parents/mindees I don't think most parents would mind.:)

Minstrel
11-06-2010, 09:45 AM
You can usually tell what sort of minder they want by the questions they ask so if you are unsure, get them to lead the conversation and 'guide' you to what they want.

I've had some call and the first thing they ask is 'how much do you charge?' before even where do i live?!!!

For others it's an after thought as they are leaving out the door.....

Millenium
11-06-2010, 11:08 AM
Like Minstrel, there are those enquiries you get where as soon as you have answered the phone, the first question is how much do you charge? My immediate response is that until I know what their requirements are, I won't have an answer. Although finances may be tough for a lot of people, I am very wary of people who seem to select their minder/nursery on price alone.

I believe a prospective parent will want to see a good balance of home-from-home caring for the mindees, together with a common sense approach to the business side of things.

Hope your enquiry went well today.

venus89
11-06-2010, 12:21 PM
Definately a mix. You don't want to be too businesslike because at the end of the day we're offering home from home care in a loving, caring environment. Equally i thik you can be too laid back and give the impression you're only in it for the money and that's as far as your interest in the job goes.....

Pipsqueak
11-06-2010, 01:51 PM
Gosh there are some parents who have the expectation that you drink tea and biscuits all day and that is ok with them,
other parents who think you should be all business
others who think you have no business being an educator
others who want you to be supernanny/the oracle all in one.

I think its down to us, when parents come to visit to portray a professional but friendly welcome, explaining fully to parents what we can and don't offer. if they don't like it then they are welcome to go elsewhere - perhaps to boot camp if that is what they want!:)

Blue Boy
11-06-2010, 04:27 PM
You meet the world and their other halves in this business and each one of them wants something different:rolleyes: It all down to how you get them to come onto your wave lenght;) They do not realise how much paperwork is involved and are supprised when you present them with another piece of paper to sign. They eventually start to show sympathy with what we have to do:jump for joy:

claireLouise
13-06-2010, 11:58 AM
Every parent has a wish list, be yourself and if your skills match you will get aw onderful relationship.

Be something you are not and parents will soon be unhappy!

Best of luck

Claire