PDA

View Full Version : Can't get CRB check anywhere!

merry
10-06-2010, 12:14 PM
I'm hoping to join an NCMA network being set up here, but have been told I have to have a CRB check. When I registered in 1998 I had a police check done, for which there is no paperwork, and when Ofsted took over I was told that a CRB would be done eventually. Since then I've asked several times, to be told to wait, it would be done eventually. This week I rang again to ask in view of wanting to join the network and was told they're not doing them, I can't get one anywhere else even if I pay for it myself, there's basically nothing I can do about it. It seems ridiculous that in my house I'm the only one who doesn't have one, dh and dd have them through their work and ds has one because he's over 16. Is anyone else a member of a network without having a CRB done?

:)

Daftbat
10-06-2010, 12:26 PM
I think i would speak to Ofsted again - there has to be a way, if they still persist in saying that they can't i would threaten to speak to the local press and et in touch with your MP - i am sure that given the importance being placed upon children's safety in the media that Ofsted would not like to be drawn ovfer the coals over this one! The only people who could do a CRB check on you as a childminder is Ofsted since they are the next best thing to an employer for us. Good luck - let us know how you get on.

loocyloo
10-06-2010, 01:04 PM
could you get one through school?

rickysmiths
10-06-2010, 02:01 PM
Why should the school pay for it?

This is a gap that OFSTEd have got to fill. I was amazed that they were not done in 2001 as part of the 'Transition ' Inspections.

I am exactly the same. Been registered since 1993 and still have not had a CRB done by OFSTED. New parents are beginning to question this as other members of the household have one. Fortunately I have one done by the Scout Association that I keep in my folder which seems to keep the parents happy.

The Network should not be excluding you on these grounds because as far as OFSTED are concerned you have been fully checked to their satisfaction.

I would ask OFSTED to provide a letter confirming this.

merry
10-06-2010, 04:32 PM
The man I spoke to at Ofsted did say they'd be happy to speak to the network co-ordinator if she wanted to ring and check with them, and that everyone will apparently be done in 2012 anyway, but I've been told various dates before and nothing ever happened. He said that Ofsted basically decided there were too many of us for it to be cost effective to do longer standing minders and only newer ones would get done. I also asked about my son's, which was done 5 years ago when he was 16 and was told there was no need for him to re-new it - I thought they were only valid for 3 years? I said surely from a safeguarding point of view it needs to be done, he said no, even from my original police check, if anything ever came up that would be an issue there, they'd be informed anyway - I'm not so sure, they don't seem that well organised to me! My own children are adults now so I'm not with any groups such as scouts/school or anything that I could go through instead.

:)

blue bear
11-06-2010, 11:56 AM
They don't generally re-do them as Ofsted keep an eye on crimial records going theought the courts and would pick up any who were CRB registered.

Voluntary groups do not get charged for CRB checks, do you not know any that would put one through for you? You could always volunteer at your local Scout group and they would have to put one through for you.

good luck xxx

mandy moo
11-06-2010, 01:47 PM
I think Daftbats idea is a good one and might use that myself as I dont have a CRB for childminding, I registered in 2008!

Pipsqueak
11-06-2010, 01:56 PM
they should still be doing them - vetting and barring scheme doesn't come in till next month.

I would give ofsted a call and see what they advise .

mama2three
11-06-2010, 02:20 PM
tbh i would speak to the network again. surely the other minders on the network cant all have them - as there will be several more experienced minders from pre-crb days. If ofsted are happy with your old police check for the time being then so should the network be.

Blue Boy
11-06-2010, 04:11 PM
The network should accept your Police Check, I would speak to the coordinator again.

Winnie
11-06-2010, 04:30 PM
You really do not need a CRB to join the network, you are covered under the EYFS Welfare requirements as a suitable person because you registered before 2005 (i think that is the year quoted). If its good enough for Ofsted it should be good enough for the network :)