PDA

View Full Version : Advice to mum re sleeping?

venus89
10-06-2010, 11:55 AM
I have a LO, just 2, who is having trouble sleeping at home. A few months ago Mum asked me to cut down his nap time from his usual 1 1/2 + hours to 3/4 hour to help him sleep at home. That made him too tired in the day so we compromised at an hour, which he always sleeps for when here and if he's not stirring once the hour is up I'm to wake him. Mum says this has had a bit of an effect on his sleep at night but not much.
Anyway, last night she says that he won't go to bed until late, and that's being forced to go rather than going voluntarily, then will be up again by 5. She's looking tired, bless her, and he keeps falling asleep in his lunch so obviously needs more sleep!

She has a routine - bath before bed etc. He eats well and is active. I've said to her that as he's so tired in the day I'm not sure that cutting the daytime sleep any more would be beneficial to him. Does anybody have any words of wisd! I can pass on? It would be much appreciated!

venus89
10-06-2010, 11:59 AM
[QUOTE=venus89;723273] Does anybody have any words of wisd! I can pass on? QUOTE]

Wisdom, even :blush: I don't know what happened there!

michellethegooner
10-06-2010, 12:02 PM
had a lo like this, my own ds HAD to have his 2 hr nap during the day or he wouldnt sleep, I would ask her to write a diary for a wk or so detailing all his eating/drinking activities etc throughout the day and see if ye can pinpoint anything that can be overstimulating him also if he is allowed his usual nap that HE requires c if this helps makes things worse

lo I had would b so busy here that I was sure she would HAVE to sleep when we did the journal it turned out when dad was collecting here at 4.30 he was giving her a sup of his lucozade sport drink:rolleyes: , cut it out and it helped something as simple and overlooked

bexcee
10-06-2010, 12:02 PM
I often find that if you cut out daytime naps children are so overtired by bedtime that they can't switch off and go into hyper mode.
Make sure she has a very strict routine, tea, bath, story and bed all at the same time everynight and sticks to it no matter what.
Arrange with her that he still has a nap during the day at a set time and doesn't sleep later than 3pm.
Good luck :)

The Juggler
10-06-2010, 12:09 PM
there was a good - Parent's Guide to.... in nursery world a year or two ago you should be able to get on their online archive or I can post to you (PM me)

Basically this suggested to parents that cutting the naps would not impact on night-time sleep unless it was too long, too late in teh day and could even promote night time sleeping.

I do have one child who I have to restrict to 3/4 hour now (just turned 3) but sometimes children will just play up at bedtime no matter how much/little sleep they have during the day so it might also be an idea to provide mum with some info on bedtime routines, relaxation techniques for him?? other than that not sure what to suggest honx

venus89
10-06-2010, 12:15 PM
Thank you all. Mum is a very permissive parent, which is lovely but in its own way adds to the problem. She'd rather not upset him, understandably, hence hime being able to drag it out. Also he doesn't have a stairgate on his door so is free to wander around the house when put in bed, otherwise it could just be a case of put him in his room and let him play till he's ready to sleep. The diary is a good idea and I'm glad you all agree that they often need that daytime nap.. I'll look up that article.

Thank you all :group hug:

Bushpig
10-06-2010, 12:40 PM
If a child gets the sleep they need during the day, they'll sleep better at night. I believe this 100% and it's always worked with kids who've battled to sleep, it was most often down to lack of routine by the parent, for the day and night sleep. Once they got into a routine with me during the day, they slept soundly, and their night time sleeps improved almost immediately too. The two go hand in hand :thumbsup:

rickysmiths
10-06-2010, 02:11 PM
I agree with Bushpig. I have two just about to wake up for the school run. One 18mth and one 3.5yrs both have slept for 1.5hrs and do every day. They are in bed by 7pm at night and sleep until 6.30am when they are got up to come to me!

I have never foung that day time sleeps affect night time sleeps. What often happens often without realising, the parents haven't seen them all day and they all get a bit excited and play and the children get wound up instaed of down at bed time.