PDA

View Full Version : Do you actually?

vickieford85
09-06-2010, 07:58 PM
Write your own policies or do you lift them from other websites ie NCMA.
My first lot I lifted but my inspector questioned me on them so I feel I need to write my own, i am just finding it soooooooooooo difficult to not write it word for word from other web sites as I wouldn't have the foggist what to write?

aly
09-06-2010, 08:44 PM
I had help from a fellow welshminder andIadaptedtomy own setting..there isnothing wrongwith getting them from say bromley site as long as they arenotword forwordand adapted to suit you then that is fine......As you getmore experience and knowledge you get to know what is expected of you and you update your policies which is good practise to anyway.

x

Daftbat
09-06-2010, 08:48 PM
I have written most from scratch but have incorporated others if i agree with them - there's no point in reinventing the wheel. if you have used an existing policy though you need to ensure that you are familiar with the document still.

Playmate
09-06-2010, 08:55 PM
We have done a bit of both. We have found over the last couple of years the ones whe have used from Bromley and other sites have more become more personalised due to experience :D

Mouse
09-06-2010, 08:57 PM
I have a mix - some I've totally written myself, some I've adapted & some I've copied. It depends what I need to do to make it fit my own setting.

I help out newly registered childminders & it's surprising how many of them copy policies, but obviously never read them. One of them had a policy that mentioned car insurance - she didn't even drive!

I don't see anything wrong with copying or adapting a policy (as long as it's available for copying & not just pinched from someone else!), just make sure you know what it says, you understand it & it applies to you.

snufflepuff
09-06-2010, 09:04 PM
I had a look through example policies to help me but i wrote them all myself. I was careful to make sure they we're different to those on bromley and the like......imagine how many of the same policy the inspectors see.....those that are copied word for word will stand out like a sore thumb.

TheBTeam
09-06-2010, 09:19 PM
I have written all of mine myself from scratch.

miffy
09-06-2010, 09:22 PM
I've used Bromley or examples from training courses and adapted them or written my own.

The most important thing is you know what's in them and that you actually do what your policies say you do!

Miffy xx

ORKSIE
09-06-2010, 10:00 PM
I've used Bromley or examples from training courses and adapted them or written my own.

The most important thing is you know what's in them and that you actually do what your policies say you do!

Miffy xx

I totally agree, This is what i do:thumbsup:

moljak
09-06-2010, 10:11 PM
I browsed alot, used a few samples but thoroughly read them and tailored them to my own setting.
I have adapted them over the past few weeks too.
without help I would have been totally lost!

estrelas
10-06-2010, 07:19 AM
I read alot first then I wrote my own.

Took ages with alot of head aches, but when there done thats it x

huggableshelly
10-06-2010, 07:25 AM
I use NCMA for photos and outings then others are adapted from BCMA or written from scratch.

Mrs O was able to tell which came from where but could also see I had personalised them to my setting.

The Juggler
10-06-2010, 07:28 AM
I have written all of mine myself from scratch.

me too - using notes and key points from other policies or gov't docs.

jelly15
10-06-2010, 07:28 AM
Like most I read a lot of others, then mixed and matched and added bits of my own until I had policies that suited me and my setting.

Pipsqueak
10-06-2010, 07:42 AM
I use templates as just that - templates and then I work it up from using EYFS and legislation - so in effect yes I write my own.

A template is only a sample guideline and has to be tailored to the individual setting. As no two minders will work the same then of course the wording and views will be slightly different.
A good (minder) friend and me differ on how we would deal with a lost/missing child - only very slightly (she says its wrong of me to tootle of to the pub and wait for the child to turn up;) ;) :laughing: - JOKE) - seriously we differ in she would call the parents THEN the police - I would call the police THEN the parents. This lady is of 30 years experience and I suppose she has her own train of thought of how she would deal with a situation (incidentally - in 30 years of minding she has never lost a child!!!:thumbsup: )

marzi
10-06-2010, 10:41 AM
I adapted some but those i couldn't find or didn't apply i wrote myself. Like public transport as i dont drive and pets as i dont have any but want to get one soon. As long as they are adapted to your setting and relevant I don't think there'll be a problem. Ofsted was happy with all mine at my pre reg.

Ripeberry
10-06-2010, 11:04 AM
I used Bromley and adapted them to my setting, changing quite a few things and adding others. But it did take me quite a long time as I started writting them back in December 08 and took AGES to get them right and tweak them.
I also linked them to the EYFS at the bottom of each policy and put in a review date and my name.
Then in Jan 2010 I had to re-do them again (change the review date).
So in the end it was worth it as Ofsted said it was the best paperwork (she) had ever seen :o
Just write one at a time, maybe two or three a week and it will all be done sooner than you think. :thumbsup: