PDA

View Full Version : Friggin knew it - urgent advice please

Pipsqueak
09-06-2010, 06:29 PM
Well the little diva and mum I interviewed the other week and then mum came back to me and said yes - well we signed contracts yesterday morning.
I didn't charge her a deposit when she rang me and said yes she wants to go ahead, I just said a 2 week advance fee on signing of the contracts. when she signed contract with me it wasn't even the two weeks fees in advance - it was less as she couldn't get it all out of the atm.

Now, she has rung me tonight and said she isn't going ahead with the contract and she wants her money back (child was due to start monday). She is willing to give me £50 for 'messing me around' but in effect she wants her money back.

Where do I stand - my brain is addled I have been to the dentist and had a tooth pulled.

shall I just refund her and accept the £50 offer or shall I just say I will refund the first weeks fees and keep the rest. She is one of them people who will get really shirty and talks over the top of you if you try ot explain how it works.

Hebs
09-06-2010, 06:34 PM
tell her sorry but it's not refundable x :angry:

dawn37
09-06-2010, 06:35 PM
Hmmm, sounds like you're having a lucky escape, if it were me but bearing in mind I've only just started & had a:censored: day yesterday, I'd be inclined to keep £50 & be done with it, but only because she sounds a nightmare & it could cause you a load of grief that you could probably do without...I don't know, it depends whether you're up to taking her on really. Sorry probably have just been no help at all:blush:
Hugs anyway
Dawn x

Curly Quavers
09-06-2010, 06:36 PM

I agree see how you get on. Contracts are signed :)

Pipsqueak
09-06-2010, 06:37 PM

friggin knew she was messing me around -just had that feeling.

can it be non-refundable though if its just the 2 week advance payment - rather than the deposit. I have a feeling i would have to refund it.

Trouble
09-06-2010, 06:37 PM
£50 and tell her to :censored: off

sounds like a lucky escape sweetie:D

LOOPYLISA
09-06-2010, 06:38 PM
No advise just :group hug:

You have my sympathy with your tooth, dd has just had one out under general yesterday x

Pipsqueak
09-06-2010, 06:38 PM
hmm why do i always seem to attact them.....:(

I have bought myself a little time to get my head round it - said i'll speak to her in the morning.
I really feel that it should be one weeks fees - which would have been £126.

huggableshelly
09-06-2010, 06:39 PM
i think i would take the £50.00 and state that you are charging another £20.00 to cover the paperwork that has been used then throw the rest in her face.

i would say keep it all but its not really worth the hassle unless you have it stated in contract that it is non refundable.

i have just done the same thing, family of 3 so 3 lots of paperwork, all was great, i had them all day on monday then not having them again now so she wants a FULL refund due to losing her job so needs the money to pay for food! i havent responded yet but GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrr .. i was warned about this family and still went ahead with the paperwork!

Trouble
09-06-2010, 06:40 PM

You and me both sweetie xxxx big hugs xxxxx

huggableshelly
09-06-2010, 06:41 PM

you n me both!!

Pipsqueak
09-06-2010, 06:43 PM
i think i would take the £50.00 and state that you are charging another £20.00 to cover the paperwork that has been used then throw the rest in her face.

i would say keep it all but its not really worth the hassle unless you have it stated in contract that it is non refundable.

i have just done the same thing, family of 3 so 3 lots of paperwork, all was great, i had them all day on monday then not having them again now so she wants a FULL refund due to losing her job so needs the money to pay for food! i havent responded yet but GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrr .. i was warned about this family and still went ahead with the paperwork!

aww huggy that is awful - I am so sorry to hear that.

Think I will accept the £50 and just refund the rest. poop and more poop - really umm'd and ahhh'd about taking this one on and against my better judgement I went ahead - even changing my availability on the vacancy grids. Can't believe I have wasted ALL that ruddy paperwork.:( :( :(
Think I am going to introduce an admin fee of £15 payable at contract signed and then it will be deducted from the fourth week of childminding fees or something.

PixiePetal
09-06-2010, 06:44 PM
I would take the £50 say goodbye sweetly and thank the lord for a lucky escape :rolleyes:

I had one in Jan who became a non starter. she had paid 4 weeks deposit and 4 weeks half pay till she was due to start properly (in a months time). Mum phoned to cancel 2 weeks before due to start coming. I kept deposit as notice money, 2 weeks half pay for weeks already passed but returned the 2 weeks half pay for the next 2 weeks. If that all makes sense?

Then she asked if they changed their mind after the summer when baby would be a bit older could they contact me again! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: She can try, I might be full :blush: !!

TheBTeam
09-06-2010, 06:45 PM
No more advice to add, but hugs to you and huggable!

ORKSIE
09-06-2010, 06:47 PM
When i take a deposit I give a Receipt and write at the top on CAPITALS Not Refundable!

Hugs to Pip XXX

Pipsqueak
09-06-2010, 07:00 PM
When i take a deposit I give a Receipt and write at the top on CAPITALS Not Refundable!

Hugs to Pip XXX

Lesson learnt now Orksie - I have been going soft in my old age and its managed to slap me in the face.
All I ticked on the contract was that the 'deposit' count towards childminding fees.
yet again my 'fake' radar has blown a gasket lately and I have gotten soft. well thats it no more nice guy - a deposit will be taken each and every time now, as well as advance fees. someone slap me with a wet fish please.

Think i am going to suggest £60 to call it quits and then it's just under quarter of what the two weeks fees were.

going to phone up the lady who recommended me to her and say thanks a blooming lot!:rolleyes:

Trouble
09-06-2010, 07:03 PM
Lesson learnt now Orksie - I have been going soft in my old age and its managed to slap me in the face.
All I ticked on the contract was that the 'deposit' count towards childminding fees.
yet again my 'fake' radar has blown a gasket lately and I have gotten soft. well thats it no more nice guy - a deposit will be taken each and every time now, as well as advance fees. someone slap me with a wet fish please.

Think i am going to suggest £60 to call it quits and then it's just under quarter of what the two weeks fees were.

going to phone up the lady who recommended me to her and say thanks a blooming lot!:rolleyes:

count to 100 first then ring or practise on me:D

Pipsqueak
09-06-2010, 07:13 PM
OK - this is how I and the lady has signed up the contract - I showed it all to her and explained it to her before she signed:

NCMA contract:

on the bottom bit - written it that a deposit has been held of £200 - deposit counts towards fees - yes

on the fees page:
Deposit held ticked yes - deposit held 2 weeks fees
deposit refundable - I ticked no

again she has signed it all

so, I shall ring her back and say I am prepared to refund £100 in the interests of goodwill but in accordance with the contract that she signed I do not have to refund anything.

sound fair?

Trouble
09-06-2010, 07:17 PM
i would say yes:D :thumbsup:

Carol M
09-06-2010, 07:21 PM
Take the fifty quid and run Pip!
I wish I would learn to go by gut instinct. Signed contracts in March for full time place in May. Took sob story from student parent about no money till grant comes through April. Cancelled place middle of April saying her partner could now look after lo. She got money, not me !
Have reported to Student grant place.
Why do we do it ?
People do take advantage of our kindness and flexibility, and we know when things don't feel right but continue to be s**t on.
Lets all toughen up eh.
Carol xx

Lou
09-06-2010, 07:21 PM
Since you have ticked non refundable, I would ring her and say Im sorry that you no longer require the sapce, however as we discussed at the contract signing, the deposit you paid is non refundable, but as a gesture of goodwill i wont charge you the normal 4 weeks notice!!!!

And hope she learns not to mess people around in the future!!!

Donkey
09-06-2010, 07:30 PM
I like Lou's idea!

aly
09-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Since you have ticked non refundable, I would ring her and say Im sorry that you no longer require the sapce, however as we discussed at the contract signing, the deposit you paid is non refundable, but as a gesture of goodwill i wont charge you the normal 4 weeks notice!!!!

agree with this

x

TammyN
09-06-2010, 08:01 PM

i like this too :thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
09-06-2010, 08:02 PM
got a funny feeling this mum would send the child to me just to get her monies worth.
but as the mum pointed out - she doesn't want her child to get used to me if she isn't going to be coming here.

Blaze
09-06-2010, 08:04 PM
OK - this is how I and the lady has signed up the contract - I showed it all to her and explained it to her before she signed:

NCMA contract:

on the bottom bit - written it that a deposit has been held of £200 - deposit counts towards fees - yes

on the fees page:

so, I shall ring her back and say I am prepared to refund £100 in the interests of goodwill but in accordance with the contract that she signed I do not have to refund anything.

sound fair?

Don't bloomin refund any of it - that's what a depesit is for - your contract is filled out rightly for you to keep it - you are not made of money - her tough luck!

Blaze
09-06-2010, 08:06 PM
got a funny feeling this mum would send the child to me just to get her monies worth.
but as the mum pointed out - she doesn't want her child to get used to me if she isn't going to be coming here.

Write to her & say....thank you for your call date time cancelling your place with me... as per contract blah blah no refund...wish you well for the future - then if she suddenly wants the place to try & get her monies worth say that it is no longer available!:p

The Juggler
09-06-2010, 08:57 PM
aww huggy that is awful - I am so sorry to hear that.

Think I will accept the £50 and just refund the rest. poop and more poop - really umm'd and ahhh'd about taking this one on and against my better judgement I went ahead - even changing my availability on the vacancy grids. Can't believe I have wasted ALL that ruddy paperwork.:( :( :(
Think I am going to introduce an admin fee of £15 payable at contract signed and then it will be deducted from the fourth week of childminding fees or something.

Hon, I too would charge her for the admin/paperwork - keep the £50 and another £20 at least. sorry to hear this happened. sounds like mum was a bit of diva too then! Do you think she's claiming tax credits on your number?

oOPS just saw your later post. If you've written deposit held and non-refundable then I would keep the lot!

snufflepuff
09-06-2010, 09:01 PM
If the contract says deposit non refundable, dont refund it!
Stupid woman. (Her, not you!)

miffy
09-06-2010, 09:11 PM

NCMA contract:

on the fees page:

sound fair?

If it's down in black and white and she signed it then I'd refuse to refund.

Miffy xx

juejue
09-06-2010, 09:16 PM
This happened to a childminder I knew and the parent was using her EY number to claim tax credit .

chez
09-06-2010, 09:16 PM
Id call the tax office and let them know whats happened to tell them to keep an eye out to ensure shes not using your number to claim.

ORKSIE
09-06-2010, 09:45 PM

NCMA contract:

on the fees page:

sound fair?

So you dont need to refund anything:thumbsup:

moljak
09-06-2010, 09:54 PM
Stories like these terrify me :eek:
Hope you get sorted.Go with what you feel is right!!!!!!!!!!

wendywu
09-06-2010, 09:59 PM
What is the point of having a non refundable deposit if you then give in and refund it, pointless.

That is why you take a deposit to stop you being out of pocket when idiots like this women mess you around.

My advice to her would be DONT put your name to anything BEFORE you read it.

Pip DONT refund anything to her :thumbsup:

angeldelight
10-06-2010, 08:41 AM
You ok Pip ?

Any more news ?

Angel xx

miffy
10-06-2010, 08:43 AM
You ok Pip ?

Any more news ?

Angel xx

There's another thread Angel - about ncma's advice!

Miffy xx

angeldelight
10-06-2010, 08:44 AM
There's another thread Angel - about ncma's advice!

Miffy xx

Yeah just saw their confusing advice ha ha

Angel xx

Waveawand
10-06-2010, 10:14 AM

NCMA contract:

on the bottom bit - written it that a deposit has been held of £200 - deposit

sound fair?

What a total pain she is - I wouldnt go with what youve said ie take the £100 but if you feel up to it ( the fight) I would say that it isnt refundable at all. You are in the right. She cant possibly be totally without food/money in that short space of time. Sounds like she is fobbing you off as a soft touch. Ive just had one of those too and they completely lied on the note the left me !! its your money and you are within your legal rights to keep it ALL !!!Good luck :thumbsup:

wellybelly
10-06-2010, 10:19 AM
I'd take the £50 and be done with it.

jumpinjen
10-06-2010, 10:27 AM
<Me personally wouldn't refund.... she knew the deal and has messed you around and she has no legal leg to stand on.

Good luck

jen x

MAWI
10-06-2010, 10:28 AM
Take the £50 and pout it down to experiene. It wont be worth the hassle, regardless of the signed contract.
I always ask for a £50-£100 (which is then deducted when they take the place) Deposit on signing of contracts and tell parents only to sign contracts when they have brought the money and want to commit and explain that it is non-refundable as I could potentially be turning away business in the mean time. Its not a problem then for serious parents who do want to use me as it comes off their first months fees ( which are in advance)
I have been caught out just the same as you before, its so annoying and frustrating, not to mention the waste of your valuable time. I had to toughen up so I did not get caught out again.
Take the money and close the book on it would be my advise. :)

dawn37
10-06-2010, 11:45 AM
Hi any news yet?:(

Dawn x

caz3007
10-06-2010, 11:50 AM
Hi any news yet?:(

Dawn x

Pip has another thread, about not being happy with the NCMA, that thread is more up to date with the current circumstances