PDA

View Full Version : How long to get registered?

becks78
09-06-2010, 06:08 PM
I'm considering being a childminder and would like to know how long training takes, from the first step to being registered. I'm due to go back to work after a years maternity leave and don't know whether to train while I'm working or not go back at all. My decision could depend on how long it takes to get registered. Thanks for any help.

tulip0803
09-06-2010, 07:30 PM
Hi The average seems to be around 6 months but it can be quicker or much longer depending on how your area goes about it. The CRBs alone are unpredictable and can take from anything from 1-20 weeks. Have you attended a breifing session yet? they will let you know how long the norm is.

If you have the option of working while registering I would think about it seriously - even when you register you may not get mindees for a while or it may be one child for 12 hours week like I had.

Minstrel
09-06-2010, 07:32 PM
Hi and Welcome!

It took me 13 months to get registered. This is much longer than most but just to warn you it can take this long. This also doesn't include the time it took to get my first mindee, which was another 3 months.

If money is an issue (and when isn't it :rolleyes: ) then i would def go back until you start minding especially since settig up costs will also set you back a fair bit.

Sorry if that sounds glum but i hope it helps xx

Toothfairy
09-06-2010, 07:36 PM
It took me 9 months from start to finish.

It all depends on when courses are available in your area and if they go ahead, as some get cancelled at the last minuet.
CRB checks can take a while to come through too.

You need to apply, do the ICP course and exam, take & pass a 12hr first Aid course, get CRB check done, get a Doctors declaration done etc etc

It's not a quick process i'm afraid.

doodles
09-06-2010, 07:41 PM
Im in Northumberland and it took me 5 months which is pretty quick and luckily i had 2 mindees lined up for when i started. Like the others have said it all depends on where you live.
Good Luck with everything x

AliceK
09-06-2010, 07:44 PM
It took me 9 mths from attending my ICP and I lost 2 potential mindees because of how long it took but I was lucky enough to get other mindees almost immediately I was registered.

Good Luck with it all :thumbsup:

xxxxx

vickieford85
09-06-2010, 08:10 PM
From stating the pre-reg course to getting my cert it was 26 weeks so 6 months however I had problems with the snow at the begining of the year and medical etc.

I'd say if you are seriously considering it then start filling your ofsted forms out whilst your doing your ICP.