PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Would you tell her?!

snufflepuff
09-06-2010, 03:02 PM
E is here on her second day with me. So far she has been pretty grumpy and has been tetthing badly.
She has just taken a few steps, and as far as i am aware she has never done it before. Do i tell Mum? Will she be pleased that her LO did it, or be upset that she missed it? Its only her second day back at work after maternity leave and i know she was dreading leaving her. Im not sure what to do!!

littlesprogs
09-06-2010, 03:08 PM
No i wouldnt, its hard enough leaving them for the first time without thinking you missed a important milestone

solly
09-06-2010, 03:14 PM
I wouldn't say anything and wait for the parents to come in and tell you that their LO has taken her first few steps then act all pleased and suprised:)

aly
09-06-2010, 03:15 PM
No I wouldn't...I know I'd be upset thath Iwould have missed her 1's.

Dizzy Ducklings
09-06-2010, 03:24 PM
Another vote here for 'Don't tell her!'

lol my little boy has just turned one and I get upset when I say to my boyf "oh he did X today" and he says "yeah he did that last week!"

:( boys are horrible sometimes! lol (rant over)

Hollie-B xxxx

Blue Boy
09-06-2010, 03:40 PM
As others have said I would not tell them. I would make a note as an observation and put it in their learning journey to show that you have noted it. If they do it again try and take a photo to back up your observation.

If the parents tell you that LO has walked you can then tell them that you have seen it but you wanted them to see it for themselves and that they could enjoy the moment for themselves.

Blaze
09-06-2010, 03:54 PM
We don't see or hear firsts here!;)

sunflower
09-06-2010, 03:59 PM
I would say nothing...and look suprised when Mum tell you :D

tashaleee
09-06-2010, 04:06 PM
Im with the say nothing group as well.... its hard enough for them to go back to work without hearing they have missed a major milestone (especially if its their first child) :thumbsup:

cabby
09-06-2010, 04:06 PM
i never tell them anything like that:) as far as im concerned the first time parents see it is the first time it matters!!

PixiePetal
09-06-2010, 04:09 PM

Nor here - all those firsts happen at the weekends ;)

Hebs
09-06-2010, 04:16 PM

Ditto!!!!!!

sskent08
09-06-2010, 04:18 PM
we were advised on my induction to say thing like" they are so nearly walking" ;)

Mrs Book
09-06-2010, 04:25 PM
I agree don't say anything.

Merry-Minder
09-06-2010, 04:29 PM
I wouldnt say anything either, but I would ask how she is doing at home and then mom may say that she walked 1st at home, then you can talk about it.

I had a parent once (who also happened to be a friend) L took what I thought were his first steps, and when I asked how he was getting on at home she said hes been taking a few steps at home for a couple of days now - It would have been nice for her to mention!!

loocyloo
09-06-2010, 05:03 PM
i would just say '' ooo, nearly walking .... ''

when i was a nanny the little girl walked with me, and i didn't say anything to the parents, then it was the weekend, and on the monday they didn't say anything ... it was the middle of the week before she walked in front of us all together! they were waiting for me to tell them, 'cos they wanted me to be excited, and i was waiting for them !!! x

Mookins
09-06-2010, 05:11 PM
DONT TELL HER!!!!

when i went back to work i said if my dd did anything new like walking especially i didnt want to know id missed it...thank fully i was there when she did walk first time just me and her very very special moment x x x i would of been mortified if i had missed that as she will be my one and only x

jelly15
09-06-2010, 05:38 PM

Same here :laughing:

michellethegooner
09-06-2010, 05:42 PM
nope I never hear r see firsts, my dd took her 1st step for my mum and I was gutted that I missed it

tulip0803
09-06-2010, 07:41 PM

Nor here.

Made the mistake many years ago when new mindee on first day walked 20ft solidly across my living room no wobbles. Said to Mum "she is firm on her feet how long has she been walking?" answer "she doesn't!":blush:

never do anything here until they have done it at home now.

SYLVIA
09-06-2010, 08:44 PM
I dont see or hear first ...until today. LO is nearly a year old and managed to roll over on to her belly for the first time. Sent mum and dad a text immediately as I knew they were desperate for her to do something! Made their day and they came home early too!

bexcee
10-06-2010, 11:59 AM
I would keep quiet! ;)
The little one I look after was quite late walking and her mum was a bit worried so when she took her first steps here I didn't mention it. She then did it at home over the weekend and when the mum told me the following week I just smiled and said I didn't think it would be long as she was getting more confident on her feet last week ;)
Parents often feel guilty about leaving their children and if she has only just gone back to work then it will be dissapointing for her that the little one did it at yours.

green puppy
10-06-2010, 01:38 PM
I actually ask parents if they want me to tell them things like this when the child begins. My first 2 mindees were 5 mths and 8 mths and both sets of parents said yes they wanted to know when they did anything here.

amanda1309
10-06-2010, 02:34 PM

nor do we here. lol

mamasheshe
10-06-2010, 05:44 PM
nooooooo firsts don't happen here either never ever :panic:

i have been doing the not long now and he'll be walking :blush:

venus89
10-06-2010, 05:57 PM
We were also told on th ICP that we don't see or hear firsts.

I can 100% see the reasoning behind this, and I go with it, but I'm not sure I actually agree......

Mouse
10-06-2010, 06:05 PM
I actually ask parents if they want me to tell them things like this when the child begins. My first 2 mindees were 5 mths and 8 mths and both sets of parents said yes they wanted to know when they did anything here.

That's what I do, I ask parents if they want me to tell them & most of them say no.

Then when the children do something for the first time at home & parents tell me, I say "well, I can honestly tell you they haven't done that here". Very often they have, but if parents have asked me not to tell them I guess they'd rather I wasn't truthful on this occassion :blush:

snufflepuff
10-06-2010, 07:15 PM
Well, you will all be pleased to hear that i didnt mention it!
I think i might ask her what she would like me to do if the situation arises.

onceinabluemoon
10-06-2010, 08:33 PM
I ask parents if they want to know if their child does 'first' things here. They have all said yes they want me to be honest.

Most are very level headed and say things like' they spend more time with you than they do at home so it would be odd if they didn't do some stuff first with you'. Makes perfect sense to me, lol!

Imagine if they didn't know their LO had become adept at rolling over and placed him on the bed for a few moments whilst they rushed to get a nappy and LO rolled off the bed...