PDA

View Full Version : Do you leave mindees in the car?

crazyhazy
09-06-2010, 10:14 AM
I'm just wondering, this will never be an issue for me probably, since I live next door to the school and can't drive. But living here I see all the kids being dropped off and picked up and have noticed 2 of the other childminders regularly leave one or two kids in the car while they go in to drop off or pick up. This seems a bit odd to, I could sort of understand if it was pouring with rain but they seem to do it regardless of weather. Yesterday one got out the car with the 2 mindees she drops at preschool and left another about the same age, so about 3/4yr sitting in the car. We have to take them into preschool, change their shoes and then take them to their room so it takes a few mins not just a case of dropping them at the door, just seems odd to me and I wondered what everyone else done.

wellybelly
09-06-2010, 10:17 AM
NEVER NEVER NEVER!

I know someone who got in trouble with ofsted for just that.

snufflepuff
09-06-2010, 10:18 AM
I wouldnt do it, not even with my own son. I can see how it would be easier than getting them all out but its certainly not safe!
The only time it happens is when im putting them in the car- the car is on the driveway and the LOs are in the hallway, and i can obviously only carry one to the car at a time. But i am literally a few metres away. Same when im moving them out of the car and in to the house- i pop one on the floor in the hallway and go back for the next.

brightstar
09-06-2010, 10:22 AM
I do :blush: but it I arrive at the school 20 minutes before pick up so that I can park right opposite the gates. The only parking at the school is on the opposite side of the road and traffic is really bad at that time of day. I literally get out of the car as the children come out of school and I leave the two babies strapped in the car. I only go as far as the gate across the road so I can see the babies at all times. It is far safer than trying to get across the road with two lo's in my arms and a 4 yr old tagging along with all his bags etc. Mums are aware and are happy too. If I only have 1 baby I get her out. Its all about risk assesment really. I am only about 10 feet away from them at all times. And I have discussed this with my inspector too, and we went into what I would do if I had to go further etc. In that case I would go back for the babies. I have to take the car even though the school is just around the corner because I have another pick up 2 miles away.

~Chelle~
09-06-2010, 10:24 AM
I wouldnt leave my own kids in the car, never mind anyone elses!

I would either confront them and tell them that they are not allowed to leave children unattended in the car or if you dont feel that you could approach them then I would report them to Ofsted.

Anything could happen to them, it doesnt bear thinking about :mad:

~Chelle~
09-06-2010, 10:29 AM
I do :blush: but it I arrive at the school 20 minutes before pick up so that I can park right opposite the gates. The only parking at the school is on the opposite side of the road and traffic is really bad at that time of day. I literally get out of the car as the children come out of school and I leave the two babies strapped in the car. I only go as far as the gate across the road so I can see the babies at all times. It is far safer than trying to get across the road with two lo's in my arms and a 4 yr old tagging along with all his bags etc. Mums are aware and are happy too. If I only have 1 baby I get her out. Its all about risk assesment really. I have to take the car even though the school is just around the corner because I have another pick up 2 miles away.

If you get out of the car and get run over, how are people to know that you have children in your car??

I am sorry but I would get them out, put them into a double buggy. You said that you get to the school 20 minutes early so there is no excuse really is there??

You said that it is all about "risk assement" obviously you havent thought about the other risks involved. What if another car crashed into your car?? Doesnt bear thinking about does it?

rickysmiths
09-06-2010, 10:38 AM
If you get out of the car and get run over, how are people to know that you have children in your car??

I am sorry but I would get them out, put them into a double buggy. You said that you get to the school 20 minutes early so there is no excuse really is there??

You said that it is all about "risk assement" obviously you havent thought about the other risks involved. What if another car crashed into your car?? Doesnt bear thinking about does it?

I agree with the above. It is an absolute NO NO. It might even invalidate your insurance if something happened and you were over the road.

I go to a Pre-School, in fact I am just about to go. I will park on the road opposite the entrance where I can see the car and with windows left open, hear the los. I never leave them in the car, I always get them out rain, shine or snow and take them with me. Several of us reported a local childminder who left children in the car at school pick up to Ofsted. Ofsted investigated and she doesn't do it any more. :blush:

Ripeberry
09-06-2010, 10:39 AM
You should never leave a minded child in a car, even at a petrol forecourt as anyway you should not get petrol whilst minding and should get it the evening before if possible.
One parent at the school leaves her 2yr old in the car for ages (up to half an hour) but always takes her baby out.
The boy in the car gets up to alsorts as although he is strapped in, she gives him food and a can of red bull (no kidding), to keep him quiet and he does so enjoy, pushing bits of food down the window gap in the door and pouring the drink in as well :D
Well if you don't keep an eye on them, they will get into trouble.
It's in a large car park where everyone is squashed in, so no moving cars to hit, but even so.:rolleyes:

brightstar
09-06-2010, 10:41 AM
My car is sign written and I have many friends at the school. I am just as likely to get run over with the lo's in my arms as i am on my own. And I'd rather it was just me injured!

You said that it is all about "risk assement" obviously you havent thought about the other risks involved. What if another car crashed into your car?? Doesnt bear thinking about does it? There are cars parked in front of and behind mine ( i am never first there), so the risk is low. Unless you know the whole set up its unfair to criticise. I have thought about the risks and discussed them with my CSSIW inspector and the parents. My car is sign written and I have many friends at the school. I am just as likely to get run over with the lo's in my arms as i am on my own. And I'd rather it was just me injured!

crazyhazy
09-06-2010, 10:45 AM
Cheeky monkey, I can see what you're saying and I tend to think since you can see them it's not so bad, obviously you've discussed it with the parents etc. You say you get there 20mins early, is this quite common too? I've noticed this here sometimes and find it odd, do parents not mind there children being in the car for longer than necessary?

Here the childminder in question parks outside my house (which is double yellows but that's another grumble lol), I think I might understand more if it was a baby who was sleeping but the child is at least 3, in a high back booster so not like a lot of trouble to get them out.

~Chelle~
09-06-2010, 10:47 AM
There are cars parked in front of and behind mine ( i am never first there), so the risk is low. Unless you know the whole set up its unfair to criticise. I have thought about the risks and discussed them with my CSSIW inspector and the parents. My car is sign written and I have many friends at the school. I am just as likely to get run over with the lo's in my arms as i am on my own. And I'd rather it was just me injured!

Anything can happen, you have NO control over other cars, whether cars are parked in front of you or not. A car can crash in other vehicles which can then, in turn, crash into your car.

My friend had just gotten out of her car in a car park and put her daughter in her buggy. As she was walking away from her car another car crashed into it with such force that her car was sandwiched in between two cars and was written off. She has always said how lucky she feels that they were not in the car at the time as her daughters seat was crushed!

I would love to see you try and explain this to an Ofsted Inspector, they will tell you that there is NO excuse about leaving children in cars unattended!

Blaze
09-06-2010, 10:54 AM
I wouldn't do it with my own or minded kid's - a locked car with security measures can be broken into, started & driven away in 10-30 seconds depending on which measures /make / model of car & it happens with kids in the back - far more than people realise. If the OP is in England than i would report to OFSTED. As far as anywhere else goes I am unsure of the rules - but as I said if it were me (regardless of the conuntry I lived I wouldn't for reasons previously stated).

littlesprogs
09-06-2010, 11:00 AM
A while ago i read a story in a newspaper about a woman who left her baby in the car whilst she went to collect her daughter from the school.

She said she was only gone 5 minutes but when she returned her car was gone and obviously so was the baby.

The car was later found with the baby dead inside it was a roasting hot day and all the windows were shut when they found the car.

I would never leave a child in a car by themselves. Even when i get petrol if i cant pay at the pump i take my son out and take him with me to pay.

margaret
09-06-2010, 11:11 AM
a big no no ,i wouldnt leave my dog in the car never mind a child regardless of whether you can get permission from parent,if you cant manage getting out of car in all weathers you shouldnt be looking after so many children or walking,this is something i have and would again report a childminder to ofsted and police for ,its a huge safety issue,i wouldnt like being locked in car and left.

clio0602
09-06-2010, 11:14 AM
Hi I was wondering this as I drop my LO off at nursery and have a baby and my DS who's 9 with me also. I park about 2metres alongside the door of the nursery so I can see straight through the glass in the door to my car through the car window IYSWIM I then take my daughter through the door hang bag up, kiss bye and then straight back out (a minute and half at very most).

What do you think?

I am never more than 3metres away from the car but would never do it if I couldn't see the LO's. Don't suppose OFSTED would like this either would they? :blush:

Mouse
09-06-2010, 11:28 AM
Hi I was wondering this as I drop my LO off at nursery and have a baby and my DS who's 9 with me also. I park about 2metres alongside the door of the nursery so I can see straight through the glass in the door to my car through the car window IYSWIM I then take my daughter through the door hang bag up, kiss bye and then straight back out (a minute and half at very most).

What do you think?

I am never more than 3metres away from the car but would never do it if I couldn't see the LO's. Don't suppose OFSTED would like this either would they? :blush:

Short answer is no, Ofsted wouldn't like it and you could quite easily be reported for it.

ajs
09-06-2010, 11:37 AM

What do you think?

they were a little hazy on this as i asked them years ago about this very same thing

i used to take a boy to nursery and had 3 other little ones, i parked outside the gates and ran him in and asked ofsted if it was ok as i could see them at all time, the inspector ummed and aahed and in the end said prob not in case the car ignited ( i have been drinving for 25 years and this has never happened but i see her point) it may be worth asking but to be honest i think the rules are that we DO NOT leave children in the car unattended ever

The Juggler
09-06-2010, 11:50 AM
:eek: :eek: that is really shocking. What if the child got out of the car themselve and walked into the road. No, no, no:panic:

I'd have a quiet word and if they keep doing it I'd report them.

caz3007
09-06-2010, 12:01 PM
i used to take a boy to nursery and had 3 other little ones, i parked outside the gates and ran him in and asked ofsted if it was ok as i could see them at all time, the inspector ummed and aahed and in the end said prob not in case the car ignited ( i have been drinving for 25 years and this has never happened but i see her point) i

Our car did catch fire whilst driving along at night down a country lane, it was extremely frightening especially as my DD (13 at the time) went running off with our baby in her arms in panic

Chatterbox Childcare
09-06-2010, 12:11 PM
If it is their own children then it is okay but if children of childminders then a definate NO - against Ofsted Safeguarding Children rules

aly
09-06-2010, 12:16 PM
There are cars parked in front of and behind mine ( i am never first there), so the risk is low. Unless you know the whole set up its unfair to criticise. I have thought about the risks and discussed them with my CSSIW inspector and the parents. My car is sign written and I have many friends at the school. I am just as likely to get run over with the lo's in my arms as i am on my own. And I'd rather it was just me injured!

This was a big NO-No with my CSSIW inspector...I haven't left mindees in car,I have left my kids if ive gone to pay for petrol.

As others have said there'stoomany risks etc and always being watched and just not worht the risk.

manjay
09-06-2010, 12:21 PM
In Wales the National Minimum Standards state that a child should never be left unattended in a vehicle (21.6) and it is something I definitely wouldn't do.

MAWI
09-06-2010, 12:27 PM
NO, NEVER.
Quite simply, there are all sorts of excuses/reasons why to leave them in the car would be easier. Anything could happen. If you can see them and you are metres away then thats obviously different.
I remember when I was the Parent and I had a childminder. The Childminder left my daughter ( aged 2 ) in the car when she went to pay for petrol and she got caught in the queue, not being able to completely see her, my daughter managed to get out of her seat and intot he front, luckily she never hit the handbrake or got hurt but she did get distressed as she thought 'Minder' had left her. Luckily the car was locked.

On a childminding level, I used to pick up a little boy form reception at midday and childminders/parents woul leave children in their cars, it was only 50 metres away, but it was at back of school, so you could not see them.

I can understand leaving them there for ease, but I think all childminders should put themselves in the parents shoes and re-think or also just imagine the 'What ifs'-
Sorry for the drone, but its a topic Ive experienced and personally would never opt for.

crazyhazy
09-06-2010, 12:30 PM
Thanks, we're in Scotland so care commission rather than ofsted, not really sure what to do, think I'll wait and see if she continues doing it. I know it's not her child cos she has 2 girls and it's all boys in the car. It's a odd set up, 2 childminders working together but all the kids they have seem to be preschool age so they spend most of their time dropping off and picking up all over the town.

wellybelly
09-06-2010, 12:30 PM
There was that terrible story in the news a few years ago where a parent left her two kids in the car whilst she nipped into a house she was parked on the drive of. The kids got out of their seats and were mucking around with the cigarette lighter and the car went up in flames in a matter of minutes. The kids perished and when the parent saw the car she tried everything to get at the kids but it was too late.

I just could'nt do it to my own kids or the ones I look after.

Alibali
09-06-2010, 12:49 PM
Thanks, we're in Scotland so care commission rather than ofsted, not really sure what to do, think I'll wait and see if she continues doing it. I know it's not her child cos she has 2 girls and it's all boys in the car. It's a odd set up, 2 childminders working together but all the kids they have seem to be preschool age so they spend most of their time dropping off and picking up all over the town.

It's a BIG no no in Scotland too, in fact I believe it's actually illegal and you can be prosecuted for it. £ local minders near me have been reported for doing this. Please don't do it, it's not worth the risk x

09-06-2010, 12:50 PM
I had a nightmare earlier this year with pre-school collections/drop-offs. The pre-school decided with a little push from OFSTED to not allow the car park to be used as the entrance to the building goes directly into it.

This means parking in a lane (I have to drive as do most others as we come in from various villages) which is so narrow that you have to park close up to hedges and walls so have to get the children out on the "traffic" side in the road. There is not room to open your car door and have another car going by. Then walking about 150m in the road to the car park. Using a pushchair is almost impossible as if a car comes there is no where to go. Still as OFSTED do not allow the children to be left in cars unattended I was doing this twice a day even though I felt sure on my risk assessments this was more dangerous than leaving them. Now, happily, and with much lobbying from parents I am allowed to park on the drive into the car park and a member of staff walks my mindees to the car. The parents still have to struggle along. Since then there has been two near misses and one hit and slightly injured child in a pushchair!

So all in all I suppose we have to do what OFSTED says even when it is not the safest option but this would not have happened without the lack of joined up risk assessing. OFSTED did not (and still will not) allow use of the car park, so pre-school can't to protect there backs and in the end the children are not best served. I nearly stopped going to this pre-school because of the whole situation.

And yes I have contacted OFSTED as have a number of parents after the incidents but they want to keep children safe while in the care of providers even if this leads to them being less safe with carers/parents. Would I have report another childminder for leaving children in the car? I would have to be very sure that there were better options, which I think there would mostly be, but if not and they were doing the best by the children, perhaps having someone stand by the car as one of the nannies did then probably not.

Anni

AliceK
09-06-2010, 12:53 PM
You should never leave a minded child in a car, even at a petrol forecourt as anyway you should not get petrol whilst minding and should get it the evening before if possible.
One parent at the school leaves her 2yr old in the car for ages (up to half an hour) but always takes her baby out.
The boy in the car gets up to alsorts as although he is strapped in, she gives him food and a can of red bull (no kidding), to keep him quiet and he does so enjoy, pushing bits of food down the window gap in the door and pouring the drink in as well :D
Well if you don't keep an eye on them, they will get into trouble.
It's in a large car park where everyone is squashed in, so no moving cars to hit, but even so.:rolleyes:

This is one of my biggest fears. I have a probably irrational fear of leaving my own children in the car on a garage forecourt so I always go to the drive-thro if I need to get petrol during the week.
Regarding the original posters question I would NEVER NEVER leave ANY child in the car to go anywhere, I just would not take the risk, there's too much that can happen. A few years ago just down the road from me a car caught fire on someones drive. They had arrived at their friends house, gone inside for a minute leaving the kids in the car, the car caught fire.
Like I say my fears are probably irrational but I just wouldn't ever do it.

xxxxx

rickysmiths
09-06-2010, 12:57 PM
There was that terrible story in the news a few years ago where a parent left her two kids in the car whilst she nipped into a house she was parked on the drive of. The kids got out of their seats and were mucking around with the cigarette lighter and the car went up in flames in a matter of minutes. The kids perished and when the parent saw the car she tried everything to get at the kids but it was too late.

I just could'nt do it to my own kids or the ones I look after.

I remember that. It was terrible. About cars going on fire and it not happening much. Listen to the traffic news for a few days there always seem to be stories of vehicles on fire. It happened to my Dad many years ago on a new car he had only had for days. He spotted smoke coming out from under the dashboard, stopped the car and called the fire brigade, seconds and the whole engine was alight.

As I said earlier, I never left my own children and i wouldn't dream of leaving minded children alone in the car. It is a pain sometimes and I have had 4 under fives but they always come out with me.

AliceK
09-06-2010, 01:02 PM
I remember that. It was terrible. About cars going on fire and it not happening much. Listen to the traffic news for a few days there always seem to be stories of vehicles on fire. It happened to my Dad many years ago on a new car he had only had for days. He spotted smoke coming out from under the dashboard, stopped the car and called the fire brigade, seconds and the whole engine was alight.
As I said earlier, I never left my own children and i wouldn't dream of leaving minded children alone in the car. It is a pain sometimes and I have had 4 under fives but they always come out with me.

Same thing happened to my friend, she was a driving instructor, on a lesson, saw smoke coming through the vents and next thing the car was in flames. People think that cars only catch fire with the engine on but it CAN happen just after the engine has been turned off too.

xxxxx

ORKSIE
09-06-2010, 01:08 PM
It is illegal and against Sageguarding Rules to leave children unattended in a car. :(

You can be reported for it.

xx

louni
09-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Absolutely definately not! In my opinion, there are no reasons valid enough to leave children of any age unattended in a car. There are any number of things that could happen that do not bear thinking about. To be honest, if I saw that happen at the school that I pick up from, I would report the driver.

WibbleWobble
09-06-2010, 01:48 PM
short answer

no

mandy xxx

sandy64
09-06-2010, 01:51 PM
No you should never leave a child unattended in a car if your a c.m you take children on knowing that you can care for them at all times if that means a dble or triple buggy thats what it takes if you are unable to transport for a short distance how would you manage in a emergency???

wellybelly
09-06-2010, 03:14 PM

You're right it is a pain - I do a school run to 3 schools / nurseries every morning and it requires me getting them all out of the car to drop just one child off here, a couple at another and one other here. I have to unload the pushchair, put the kids in then after drop off all back in again and so on till its all done. We are always late lol! But I would never consider leaving any of them whilst I just run in here or there however close to the car I am.

clio0602
09-06-2010, 03:16 PM
they were a little hazy on this as i asked them years ago about this very same thing

i used to take a boy to nursery and had 3 other little ones, i parked outside the gates and ran him in and asked ofsted if it was ok as i could see them at all time, the inspector ummed and aahed and in the end said prob not in case the car ignited ( i have been drinving for 25 years and this has never happened but i see her point) it may be worth asking but to be honest i think the rules are that we DO NOT leave children in the car unattended ever

I do understand this but i wouldn't say the child was unattended as it takes less time to do this than to set up my double buggy which I usually have to do at the rear of the car and would be further away and less able to see the children at the time!

I am literally next to and in full view of the car when I take my DD although will just drop her at the door from now on!

happydays1
09-06-2010, 03:37 PM
Right from the start i was told it was a no no, like others have said it is a safeguarding issue and if seen should be reported, so answer to question a definate no.

Blue Boy
09-06-2010, 03:56 PM
There is only one word that can be used "NO"

Louise B
09-06-2010, 04:10 PM
If my kids were minded and the minder did that, I'd report her and take my kids out. I have left my 3 in the car outside a shop when I nip in for one thing, but my 8 year old locks the door when I go and I'm literally a minute, but it still worries me. If someone's paying you, surely you need their child/ren with you at all times? I once left my daughter in the car while I was at a cashpoint, I was next to the car and she was about 4, she got out of the seat belt and let herself out of the car, into the main road! Never again!

I guess if the parents are aware and ok about it, then fair enough, but if they don't know, that's out of order.

xx

mandy moo
09-06-2010, 05:17 PM
To those that even just contemplate it, DONT,

thro personal experiance, on MY own DRIVEWAY, I had to have 7-8 weeks off work, due to an accident that depends, I guess which way you looked at it (mine that is) was no fault of my own (OFSTED, happened to agree and that was the end of it !!)
HOwever, it took me a few months to be able to walk properly, and just after a year on,I still cannot run as i used too.
I had no money coming in during that time, and of the 4 children I had, (2 were siblings, 1 of whom caused the accident) I terminated there and then so to speak, I was left with only 1 part timer when I went back to work..
So No I wouldnt leave a mindee in a car, No.

onceinabluemoon
09-06-2010, 05:26 PM
I don't drive so it's not really an issue for me, however I used to go mad at my ex for leaving our children in his car when he 'just popped into a shop' for two minutes, anything could have happened.

As for leaving mindees in cars unattended, in England it's a definite no no, one of the local minders here was (maliciously) reported for doing it and ofsted were on her doorstep like a shot.

WRT to the member who does it with the CC's blessing, I am gobsmacked that their rules are so much more lax than ofsted's!

jelly15
09-06-2010, 05:36 PM
I never left my own in the car, ever, so I certainly wouldn't do it with someone elses, no matter how much of a pain it is.

When my own DSs were in primary school a car in the car park just went up in flames and melted the paint work on the cars either side of it. No one in any of the cars at the time, thank heavens.

Curly Quavers
09-06-2010, 06:00 PM
I do :blush: but it I arrive at the school 20 minutes before pick up so that I can park right opposite the gates. The only parking at the school is on the opposite side of the road and traffic is really bad at that time of day. I literally get out of the car as the children come out of school and I leave the two babies strapped in the car. I only go as far as the gate across the road so I can see the babies at all times. It is far safer than trying to get across the road with two lo's in my arms and a 4 yr old tagging along with all his bags etc. Mums are aware and are happy too. If I only have 1 baby I get her out. Its all about risk assesment really. I am only about 10 feet away from them at all times. And I have discussed this with my inspector too, and we went into what I would do if I had to go further etc. In that case I would go back for the babies. I have to take the car even though the school is just around the corner because I have another pick up 2 miles away.

I agree with this I don't leave the kids in the car if I am anymore that 3 feet from it. Otherwise everybody comes.

If I see minders leaving children in the car on a regular basis I would perhaps for 1 week make notes and when they leave the kids and for how long for then report them.

Curly Quavers
09-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Unless you know the whole set up its unfair to criticise.

If your parents and inspector are happy then you are doing OK.

I think we ALL agree including Cheeky Monkey that it is not acceptable to leave children in a car when they are not in view.

:D :D

Alibali
09-06-2010, 06:30 PM
I don't drive so it's not really an issue for me, however I used to go mad at my ex for leaving our children in his car when he 'just popped into a shop' for two minutes, anything could have happened.

As for leaving mindees in cars unattended, in England it's a definite no no, one of the local minders here was (maliciously) reported for doing it and ofsted were on her doorstep like a shot.

WRT to the member who does it with the CC's blessing, I am gobsmacked that their rules are so much more lax than ofsted's!

I don't think it was CC I think it was CSSIW, CC are really strict on this one too x

sweets
09-06-2010, 06:30 PM
when i used to do school runs then i did exactly the same as cheeky monkey. would get to school ridiculously early to get a certain space that was on a quiet road right opposite the back school gate. i would stay in the car till the very last min then cross over (small street not main road) and cross the older mindees over.

i could see the car and the children all the time and children were always left strapped in.

i think you could look too much into dangers! yes the car could have set on fire for no apparant reason but its highly unlikely, i have been driving for 24 years and never seen it happen.

i dont do school runs now but i live on a terraced street with no driveway so if i have 2 babies to unload then i take one in at once and leave them in the hall with the door open and the keys on me! while i go back for the other. its prob left no longer than cheeky monkey doing her school run. i will continue to do it as there is no other way!

there is no way i would leave a child in a car for more than a min or so and would never leave if i wasnt in sight of the car all the time. but i do think things have to be put into prospective.

Tink
09-06-2010, 07:48 PM
I cannot believe this question has even been asked.:eek:
I would never leave a child in the car alone, my goodness, i'm sorry but if you are in a position where you can't take them with you to pick up another child from school, then you need to terminate the contract of the school child.

Children's safety is paramount and if a childminder left my daughter in a car they would know about it:angry:

Daftbat
09-06-2010, 08:01 PM
when i used to do school runs then i did exactly the same as cheeky monkey. would get to school ridiculously early to get a certain space that was on a quiet road right opposite the back school gate. i would stay in the car till the very last min then cross over (small street not main road) and cross the older mindees over.

i could see the car and the children all the time and children were always left strapped in.

i think you could look too much into dangers! yes the car could have set on fire for no apparant reason but its highly unlikely, i have been driving for 24 years and never seen it happen.

i dont do school runs now but i live on a terraced street with no driveway so if i have 2 babies to unload then i take one in at once and leave them in the hall with the door open and the keys on me! while i go back for the other. its prob left no longer than cheeky monkey doing her school run. i will continue to do it as there is no other way!

there is no way i would leave a child in a car for more than a min or so and would never leave if i wasnt in sight of the car all the time. but i do think things have to be put into prospective.

I agree with this statement. We are always doing risk assessments and in these situations yes, we would all obviously do what is best to ensure the safety of the child and ourselves. the lady who drives to school early to get a parking space is putting the children at no more risk by stepping out of the car to see children across the road than she is by actually sitting in the car with them for 20 mins whilst she waits for the school day to finish. Analogies put forward by people such as the car catching fire or being crashed in to by another vehicle can happen whether you are in the car or not. It is nonsensicle to anticipate the worst every time you are out and about with the chidlren. The children in your care have to be within sight or sound of you at all times - otherwise we would be taking the children to the toilet with us every time too.

I see no problem with being near enough to your car to see the children at all times whilst you cross another child over a busy road and have had this conversation with an Ofsted inspector in the past.

Its quite another thing to do what the OP has witnessed and this cannot be condoned in any way. Please though can we stop seeing ultimate drama and crisis in the slightest movement away from our mindees.

crazyhazy
09-06-2010, 08:08 PM
I would never leave a child in the car alone, my goodness, i'm sorry but if you are in a position where you can't take them with you to pick up another child from school, then you need to terminate the contract of the school child.

Children's safety is paramount and if a childminder left my daughter in a car they would know about it:angry:

Not sure why I'm being picked up on for daring to ask, if you'd read the OP correctly you'd see it's not me doing it, I don;t drive for a start and live next door to the school for another! I've only been childminding for a month and while I was sure it wasn't right myself cos I'd certainly never do it I just wondered if perhaps other minders did do it. I am going to keep a note for the next week to see if it happens again and if so I will report the other minder to the cc.

Blaze
09-06-2010, 08:16 PM
Crazyhazy you were perfectly right to ask - I'm sure it wasn't meant to come across as you weren't - this thread seems to have got a tad heated! If in doubt ask I think!!! (You might not always like the answer though LOL:D )

Blaze
09-06-2010, 08:22 PM

...Not that I think your opinion is in anyway wrong - because I feel the same way about my child & to me it is common sense - but common sense does not always prevail! Not only that what someone feels personally may be against the norm of the profession IYSWIM?

sarah707
09-06-2010, 08:22 PM
Not sure why I'm being picked up on for daring to ask, if you'd read the OP correctly you'd see it's not me doing it, I don;t drive for a start and live next door to the school for another! I've only been childminding for a month and while I was sure it wasn't right myself cos I'd certainly never do it I just wondered if perhaps other minders did do it. I am going to keep a note for the next week to see if it happens again and if so I will report the other minder to the cc.

I thought it was an excellent question! :thumbsup:

I know a childminder who regularly left minded children in her car while she did pick ups. She was reported and stopped doing it.

I would say yes, if you see it happening report them.

At the end of the day it's about children's safety isn't it?

:D

tulip0803
09-06-2010, 08:31 PM
No I never leave children in cars anywhere.

I don't leave them to pay for petrol as when DS was little a petrol station I used on the A2 had a lorry plough into it & the pumps & cars went up. Luckily no one got hurt but if a child had been strapped into a car they wouldn't have got out.

I am under CSSIW and as Manjay says it is in the regs not to leave them in vehicles.

aly
09-06-2010, 08:41 PM
[/color]

I don't think it was CC I think it was CSSIW, CC are really strict on this one too x

I can't see how they said yes to her though as manjay says it is in the minimum standards that we are not allowed to, myself manjay and Tulipare under cssiw as well as the other person.

snufflepuff
09-06-2010, 08:54 PM
i live on a terraced street with no driveway so if i have 2 babies to unload then i take one in at once and leave them in the hall with the door open and the keys on me! while i go back for the other.

Like i said earlier, this is exactly what i do, except i have a driveway. After reading all these replies i am now wondering if there is possibly another way of doing things? I thought i was doing it in the safest and most practical way but maybe not!

sweets
09-06-2010, 09:00 PM
Like i said earlier, this is exactly what i do, except i have a driveway. After reading all these replies i am now wondering if there is possibly another way of doing things? I thought i was doing it in the safest and most practical way but maybe not!

it would probably be safer to get the double buggy out of the car, put both babies in, hang the bags on and walk them the 10ft or so to the front door. but then id have to think about what do i do with the buggy? lol. do i take it back to the car whilst leaving the babies in the house as my buggy doesnt fit inside or do i leave it on the street to get stolen! lol

every situation is different and has to be risk assesed (not neccessarily written down as we have far to many of those stupid things to write as it is).

we could look at dangers in everything and never do anything, people die in car crashes every day but does it stop us using our cars? no. people die crossing the road every day but we still do it.

everybodies situation is different and we just have to choose the sensible options for ourselves.

chez
09-06-2010, 09:07 PM
No, what would happen if they accidently locked them self out of the car? I asume they do lock the doors of the car when they leave their mindees in it.
AA etc could take a good while to get there and in that time baby is left sitting in a hot car without the comfort of an adult.
Id be highly concerned about any childminder leaving their mindee in a car.

Pauline
09-06-2010, 09:14 PM

I think it was an excellent question and started a great debate, albeit a bit heated at times.

Sometimes people read in a rush and get the wrong end of who is doing what with such a long thread, so please don't take any criticism to heart, I'm sure it wasn't intended to upset you. :)

sweets
09-06-2010, 09:43 PM
oops sorry if it was me :blush: to be honest i didnt read all the replies just stuck my oar in! lol

cher25
09-06-2010, 09:52 PM
I don't agree with leaving kids in the car. However 1 of my mindee's used to keep asking me if i am going to leave her and her brother in the car, as her old childminder used to! :eek: She was honest and said it scared her.

moljak
09-06-2010, 10:04 PM
Another great thread that's made good reading.
I don't drive so pick ups always on foot.I see many parents leave their children in a carpark not in sight from school yard and leave their babies while picking up older children.I hate seeing it, as they're parents not alot can be done but if it was a fellow minder I'd be horrified and would feel I'd have to report it.

nokidshere
09-06-2010, 11:33 PM
Interestingly it is not illegal in the UK to leave your child in the car unattended, but it is illegal to leave your pet!

Pauline
10-06-2010, 06:23 AM
Interestingly it is not illegal in the UK to leave your child in the car unattended, but it is illegal to leave your pet!

Now why doesn't that surprise me? :rolleyes:

angeldelight
10-06-2010, 06:30 AM

Amazing :eek:

Angel xx

ORKSIE
10-06-2010, 06:41 AM

Really :eek: ....I thought it was...well thats just logical to me that it would be!

Makes ya laugh dont it:panic:

angeldelight
10-06-2010, 07:00 AM
Really :eek: ....I thought it was...well thats just logical to me that it would be!

Makes ya laugh dont it:panic:

Wonder if my hubby is safe in the car ? Always leaving him waiting when I rush into different shops

Does this make him an animal ? :laughing: :laughing:

Angel xxx

moogster1a
10-06-2010, 07:08 AM
It's not illegal to leave a pet in the car!!! As long as you don't cause suffering, ie. make sure a window's left open so they don't overheat.

mandy moo
11-06-2010, 01:39 PM
Wonder if my hubby is safe in the car ? Always leaving him waiting when I rush into different shops

Does this make him an animal ? :laughing: :laughing:

Angel xxx

:laughing: :laughing: Thats funny Angel, I do the same, prehaps next time Ill drop him off at MIL's..
You never know she might decide to keep him..lol

LOOPYLISA
11-06-2010, 01:59 PM
My dd stays in the car when i nip somewhere shes 12 now though , very grown up 12 :thumbsup:

Would never have left her in the car when she was younger :thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
11-06-2010, 02:01 PM
so does this mean you can't lock the kids in the cupboard under the stairs then while you go out and do some shopping;) :huh: :joker:

grindal
11-06-2010, 02:02 PM
My mindee has a sister at nursery. She is 4. Most nights she comes into my house when mum collects mindee but when she is asleep mum leaves her in the car. It always surprises me that she thinks this is OK!

snufflepuff
11-06-2010, 02:27 PM
It always surprises me that she thinks this is OK!

One of my parents came to sign contracts and left LO in the car on the driveway because she was asleep. I said 'is she ok in there?' and 'did you want to go and get her, we will be a little while' but nope, she didnt go and get her. She looked out the window once, but thats it.

Blaze
11-06-2010, 02:54 PM
The reasson it's not illegal to leave a child in a car / home is because everytime you bought your shopping in from the car you would technically be breaking the law IYSWIM

Minstrel
11-06-2010, 03:52 PM
Well i'm prepared to get shouted down here......

but i leave my two boys in the car every morning whilst i drop mindee at the first school!

They are 6 and 4 and the school is down a small side road. I park outside the gate and walk mindee about 20 steps up the drive to the main door where he walks in and i walk back to car. Not out of my sight and i am gone about 60 secs. Mindee goes in early as i have to get mine to a second school so there is no school traffic about at this time.

buildingblocks
11-06-2010, 03:57 PM
Not sure why I'm being picked up on for daring to ask, if you'd read the OP correctly you'd see it's not me doing it, I don;t drive for a start and live next door to the school for another! .

You didn't do wrong asking the question ( it is often the case that posters get confused with who put what IYSWIM - I know that I do).

Remember that there is no such thing as a silly question because if you are thinking it someone else could be or even worse in the case of something like this they may well be doing it not knowing there is anything wrong in what they are doing as they have done it with there own children ( I am also not saying that those who post it are doing anything wrong if they have permission from Ofsted - although this strikes me as odd as I thought it was against EYFS rules, safeguarding, etc just shows I thought wrong - and parents)

I personally wouldn't do it even if I could see the children in the car but that is just my own personal opinion (can you tell I like sitting on the fence)

caz3007
11-06-2010, 04:08 PM
I once saw a car load of kids outside the supermarket with no one in sight and another time someone must have been visiting a neighbour, two little girls in a car, one was hysterical and the windows were open too. I really didnt know what to do at the time, but now with hindsight I should have knocked on all the doors until I found out who had left them.

We dont leave our son in the car even now and he is 7, only time is if we have lots of shopping and we have to park our car on the road, he is is sight all the time and likes to guard the rest of the shopping, not that he would do anything if anyone came along :laughing:

Blaze
11-06-2010, 05:26 PM

but i leave my two boys in the car every morning whilst i drop mindee at the first school!

They are 6 and 4 and the school is down a small side road. I park outside the gate and walk mindee about 20 steps up the drive to the main door where he walks in and i walk back to car. Not out of my sight and i am gone about 60 secs. Mindee goes in early as i have to get mine to a second school so there is no school traffic about at this time.

Your not going to get shouted down - that's your perogative as a parent - what you choose to do as a parent & what is considered acceptable as a CM are 2 very differnt things!

theplayroom
11-06-2010, 07:03 PM
I dont like to leave kids in the car and i always turn up a bit early, park away from school adn make it a nice walk to and from school everyone enjoys it:)

Although im sure cheeky monkey appriciates all the advise i feel a bit uncomfortable about the 'force' of some replys x

ORKSIE
11-06-2010, 09:37 PM

They are your children. You dont have to answer to OFSTED over your own children, No one is going to report you for leaving your own children in your car.
There is a big difference, when your leaving someone elses children in the car.

No offence....no shouting xxx

Daftbat
11-06-2010, 11:07 PM
They are your children. You dont have to answer to OFSTED over your own children, No one is going to report you for leaving your own children in your car.
There is a big difference, when your leaving someone elses children in the car.

No offence....no shouting xxx

Why is it different when its your own children?

Children are children at the end of the day and surely the risks are the same regardless of who they belong to. I am not criticising the person you replied to - I see no problem if the car is in plain sight given the distance involved as described but surely we can't discriminate between minded children and our own given that most posters who have voiced a concern are worried about the car being invoved in an accident etc.

Twinklestars
12-06-2010, 11:41 AM
i know a childminder who sometimes leaves 2 or 3 3 year olds in the car most days when she drops off or picks up. I've noticed she doesn't if she's meeting any of their mum's there. She used to mind my ds and one day she left him for over 10 mins in the car unlocked and he could unstrap himself, i didn't use her for long after this incident. I have been tempted to report her for various things. I never leave any children in the car, if the babies are asleep i would wait in the car and ask another mum to bring my ds to the car but he goes to a small school so i know them all

FussyElmo
12-06-2010, 04:47 PM
Well I have just been to my local asda where I have just seen a car in the parent and child space with two children left in it. The boy was about 6 and there was a baby. Whoever had left them had left both front windows wound down.

As i was walking past someone was reporting it to a member of staff, he said he was going to put a call over the tannoy I butted in and said you should just call the police.

It was absolutely manic in there no way has she/him just popped in as the queues were down the aisle.

LOOPYLISA
12-06-2010, 04:48 PM
Well I have just been to my local asda where I have just seen a car in the parent and child space with two children left in it. The boy was about 6 and there was a baby. Whoever had left them had left both front windows wound down.

As i was walking past someone was reporting it to a member of staff, he said he was going to put a call over the tannoy I butted in and said you should just call the police.

It was absolutely manic in there no way has she/him just popped in as the queues were down the aisle.

Omg :eek:

Even worse windows open !!

nannymcflea
12-06-2010, 07:09 PM
It's a very valid question.:thumbsup:

I never left youngsters in the car, cm kids or my own but was never put in a position I ever had to.

I did however ring the police one lovely hot sunny July as hubby and I saw a toddler in a car outside Tesco in Kings Lynn, roasting.:angry:

The police came, one smashed the front window and the other went into the store....we drove off at this point knowing the child was ok.

Blaze
12-06-2010, 09:03 PM

Children are children at the end of the day and surely the risks are the same regardless of who they belong to. I am not criticising the person you replied to - I see no problem if the car is in plain sight given the distance involved as described but surely we can't discriminate between minded children and our own given that most posters who have voiced a concern are worried about the car being invoved in an accident etc.

My post was meant to point out that as a parent the choice is hers to make, but as a CM it's not IYSWIM...I know a parent that left there LO in a car on the road outside of school (out of sight & hearing, the the enterence to the school was at the back, so no where near the road) whilst she went & collected her older LO from school - there was an attempted abduction (which another parent stopped - thankfully) - police were called etc - the police didn't bat an eye lid that the parent had left the child & there was no comeback - this parent later went on to become a CM & was nearly not registered because of this instance showing up (also can you imagine the fall out if that had been a CM at the time & not a mother)....now this was 61/2 years ago, but still!

babs
12-06-2010, 10:37 PM
well after reading the last 5 pages my personal opinion is NO i would never leave a minded child or my own in a car, when i put mindees in my car i close the gates put them in one at at time if i have 3 yr old and 9 month old , but when i have the 3yr old and 2 yr old at same time both walk to the car with me climb in and i then fasten them in, open the gates and off we go. when i get back i pull on drive close gates get children out lo's normaly run round my front drive gates locked at this point while i open the front door, sometimes if its nice i let them run round look at plants in pots etc.. i now do 1 school pick up and sometines have lo with me others go home at 1.30 and 2 if im out in car i pick up on way home if not i walk to school... teacher is always late letting kids out so sometimes can be in playground 10 to 15 minutes and thats me arriving at 3.10 kids come out at 3.15 ( or are suppose to .... i have it written in my policy's that i never leave a child unattended in my car and that i fill up when i am not minding so not taking them to petrol stations... only time i may have to do this is when we go on a long outing but then there would be another adult with me anyway...

sweets
13-06-2010, 07:47 AM
well after reading the last 5 pages my personal opinion is NO i would never leave a minded child or my own in a car, when i put mindees in my car i close the gates put them in one at at time if i have 3 yr old and 9 month old , but when i have the 3yr old and 2 yr old at same time both walk to the car with me climb in and i then fasten them in, open the gates and off we go. when i get back i pull on drive close gates get children out lo's normaly run round my front drive gates locked at this point while i open the front door, sometimes if its nice i let them run round look at plants in pots etc.. i now do 1 school pick up and sometines have lo with me others go home at 1.30 and 2 if im out in car i pick up on way home if not i walk to school... teacher is always late letting kids out so sometimes can be in playground 10 to 15 minutes and thats me arriving at 3.10 kids come out at 3.15 ( or are suppose to .... i have it written in my policy's that i never leave a child unattended in my car and that i fill up when i am not minding so not taking them to petrol stations... only time i may have to do this is when we go on a long outing but then there would be another adult with me anyway...

you are very lucky to have a driveway with gates and i would do exactly the same as you if i was in the same situation. but id be interested to know what people would do in my situation. i live in a terraced house with no driveway, a small garden about 8-10ft long and i look after 2 mindees that dont walk! i have to leave one in the house or car while i load/unload up the other one.
i suppose in theory i could get the double buggy out and do it but the buggy is stored in the car and doesnt fit through the front door very well, it just wouldnt be practical to do everytime.

so what it do, is that classed as 'leaving children' in the car?

Rubybubbles
13-06-2010, 07:52 AM

I remember a few years ago (or maybe not so long lol) a childminder left her own children in the car whilst shopping, she had all her ads on the car and she got reported, and had to fight tooth and nail to prove it was her own children.

I don't leave children in the car and am luckly not to have to drive to school! It honestly shocks me that people leave kids in cars! I used to look after a 2yr old, and mum picked him up at 3pm on school run from school gates, she would get him off me, then go put him in the car (out of sight:panic: ) then come back for her other children! I questioned it a few times but she just laughed:(

jumpinjen
13-06-2010, 07:55 AM
Sweets, I don't see what else you are supposed to do......

no it isn't classed as leaving them in the car.....

You are taking them into the house, I have a driveway and no gates and i take one out from the far side away from my frint door, put them down to walk to the open door in full view whilst i get the other one out and put them down. I am behind them in case they turn around and walk back down the grass but i don't consider it as leaving them in the car. I have never considered that what i do isn't safe practice.

i know that there are plenty of scare stories out there but really, some common sense is needed. I don't actually think that if your car was unlucky enough to blow up or be ploughed into be a large lorry, that you can be blamed for being outside the car at the time, even if you are filling it up with petrol. For those minders that work 10 hours or more a day five days a week I am sure that plenty fill up their cars during working hours or leap out to shove letters into a post box. They just daren't say so on this thread.....

Don't worry about getting them into the house sweets...... you're fine xx

jenni

sweets
13-06-2010, 08:06 AM
i am not worrying about it as i know its the only practical way to do it.

to me thought it is no different than the lady who leaves her children in the car to cross the small road and pick up her schoolies. her children are left in the car and within sight probably no longer than my mindees! i would do exactly the same as her in that situation.

i think we just need to be sensible and use common sense,

i'm quite sure that none of us would 'leave children' in our cars out of sight.

We constantly think of dangers and risks but dont always let them stop us or our children doing anything! we would all be wrapped in cotton wool if we did.

yes cars can blow up or a uncontrollable lorry may come along but its highly unlikely isnt it.

sweets
13-06-2010, 08:07 AM
by the way if i need petrol i will fill up with mindees! lol.

but i always try and use the pay as you go pumps :)

Ripeberry
13-06-2010, 08:09 AM
i know a childminder who sometimes leaves 2 or 3 3 year olds in the car most days when she drops off or picks up. I've noticed she doesn't if she's meeting any of their mum's there. She used to mind my ds and one day she left him for over 10 mins in the car unlocked and he could unstrap himself, i didn't use her for long after this incident. I have been tempted to report her for various things. I never leave any children in the car, if the babies are asleep i would wait in the car and ask another mum to bring my ds to the car but he goes to a small school so i know them all

I've also asked other mums at my school to collect my dds when one of my mindees falls asleep in the car. But it was only because this particular mindee would cry a lot if woken up and was too big to put in a buggy (3yrs old).
One minder at the school has had a problem with some mindees sleeping when she gets there and she has asked others to collect the mindee for her (bring to the car), there are no roads involved here just from the gate to the car park and a couple of times she has run up quickly to collect the mindee so is not away for more than two minutes.
But hopefully it is a one-off.

Ripeberry
13-06-2010, 08:11 AM
On yahoo news today, there is a report of a 2yr old girl who managed to start the engine of a car and the car shot backwards and she got run over by the front wheel :(
And the mum was chatting to a friend just standing by it :eek: How could you not notice? :mad:

jumpinjen
13-06-2010, 08:13 AM
On yahoo news today, there is a report of a 2yr old girl who managed to start the engine of a car and the car shot backwards and she got run over by the front wheel :(
And the mum was chatting to a friend just standing by it :eek: How could you not notice? :mad:

Oh I always let mine play with the car... I class it as ICT ******JOKING*****

Celyn
13-06-2010, 09:43 AM
Never ever do I leave any child unattended in a car. I have a real terror of fire and, for that reason alone, I won't take even the slightest risk over it.

I used to live in Reading where, a few years ago, 2 children were killed in a car fire after their mum left them for a few minutes on her employer's drive.
The most likely time for a car to catch fire is just after it's stopped, when the engine is warm.

In 3 cases that I've personally known of (didn't even make it to the news!), the driver didn't even get to the door of the office/house/cafe when it went up.
The first was a new car with an electrical fault and my colleague saw the flames reflected in the door of the office as he approached the entrance.
The second was a lady who'd pulled up opposite my MIL's house. Unbelievably, she actually tried to lock her daughter in the car while she went for help, until my MIL intervened! :eek:
The third was my dad's friend in the army, who'd pulled up in an army vehicle to get a cup of coffee at the cafe. As he put it in his report: "I locked the vehicle and proceeded to the cafe. As I approached the cafe, I heard a fire alarm go off and I thought "Ha Ha! Some poor b*gg*r's car's caught fire!". I went into the cafe and ordered my coffee. As I was sitting down, the proprietor of the cafe came and informed me that my vehicle was on fire." :laughing:

OK, I've only personally known of 3 incidents, and read of 3-4 others. I admit it's unlikely to happen, but I wouldn't want take even the tiniest risk of this happening to a child in my care.

aly
13-06-2010, 10:13 AM

how could she start the car and get run over?

kindredspirits
13-06-2010, 10:36 AM
i believe she was standing beside the car withthe door open and reached into the keys - the car shot forward and she lost her balance and fell under the wheel. :( poor little thing - i hope she makes a speedy recovery.

The Juggler
13-06-2010, 01:38 PM
by the way if i need petrol i will fill up with mindees! lol.

but i always try and use the pay as you go pumps :)

I fill up with mindees too, at pay at pump garages. This is not a no-no is it????:(

13-06-2010, 01:59 PM
I would say the children are not unattended if you are right next to the car and can see them properly as in some of the above examples. Of course you may have to get them out one by one or get the pushchair out of the boot or take non walkers into the hall whilst others remain strapped in the car if you can park close to the door. I did all this in front of my last inspector and explained that overall it was safest and I could see them as well as I could when I am driving (if not better!) Unattended means leaving them in the car and moving away so you can't see and hear them and/or leaving them for longer than a absolutely necessary e.g. to get the buggy out or to carry a child in and go straight back for the others with all children in hearing and sight at all times.

Anni