View Full Version : Assistant questions

09-06-2010, 08:30 AM
Hi, I'm not registered yet but I was thinking about when I do I may get an assistant but i have a couple of questions.

Firstly, if i had an assistant could they be left alone with the children for a short amount of time say up to 2 hours? I am thinking of my son's speech therapy really, their office is only open from 9 -3pm week days so i'd probably have mindees.

Secondly, I know they need a crb but do they need to be registered or pay registration fees, and do ofsted sort out the crb or would i do it?

Thank you x

09-06-2010, 08:34 AM
And also how would i find an assistant as i dont know anyone where i live?

09-06-2010, 09:08 AM
Just to say i know they'd have to have a first aid certificate. Thats the last thing i'm gonna say lol.

09-06-2010, 09:16 AM
In order to be left aloe with Mindees an Assistant has to have done the same First Aid Course as you have done. You would also need the written consent of the parents that they are happy for their child to be left alone with an assistant.

If the Assistant works more than 15hrs a week then you have to Employ them rather than them being self employed. This means they would have to be paid at least the min wage, have paid holidays and sickness and you would have to to their tax and NI If you don't know anyone I guess you would have to advertise and interview people. You would need to work out if it is financially sensible to employ or even have a self employed one.

You don't say how often your sons appointments are. Do you intend to go to a childminding group? If you don't know where there is one near you your Childrens Centre should be able to tell you or you can phone NCMA and they will tell you. You don't have to be a member of NCMA to go to one.

It seems to me it would be much easier for you starting out to get to know some other local Childminders and then they may be able to help you out to cover you appointments.

The other option is to start work part time to work around the appointments.

Good luck.

09-06-2010, 10:26 AM
Thanks rickysmiths. I am going to start going to a drop in so i might try finding cover, his appointments will be weekly and usually in blocks if they ever actually ring me to sort them out.

Is there anyway of working out if i'd be registered for more children with an assistant and if so how many? That way i could work out if i could afford the wages before committing myself to anything.

09-06-2010, 10:31 AM
Hi! You can't be sure that Ofsted will automatically increase you numbers if you work with an assistant. Remember though that if they do allow increased numbers this will only apply when you are both together. Individually you would not be allowed to care for the increased number of children.

09-06-2010, 12:22 PM
ok thanks again, sounds easier to just find another minder lol.