PDA

View Full Version : Had my inspection yesterday, I'm inadequate, but....

sarahashy
13-12-2007, 10:37 AM
Hi everybody, I was hoping you'd be able to give me some advice. This is my first post, but I regularly check the forum out, and it's helped me loads getting ready for my inspection.

Yesterday, I had my inspection, and it went really well, I got graded good on everything apart from health (my first aid certificate lapsed in October), she therefore had to grade me unsatisfactory, and consequently unsatisfactory on organization. I explained to the inspector that obviously I was aware a valid first aid certificate is a requirement, and I had tried very hard to get on a course. She rang her boss, and she said if I could provide proof that I had tried she could put a special exemption thing on (can't remember what it was called) and I could get satisfactory. I explained that I rang the local early years training bloke, he told me all courses were full. he left me an answer machine message telling me to ring back after Christmas, and their should be a course available in February. She said if I still had the message, that would be proof, but unfortunately I wiped it.

Anyway, I woke up this morning thinking it all seemed a bit unfair - she didn't suggest that I could ring the man I talked to and get him to confirm the phone call, surely that's as good as listening to an answer machine message. I've tried to ring him, but can't get hold of him, so I have sent an email, asking if there is anything I can do.

Sorry it's so long, but my basic question is do you think it's worth my while trying to get confirmation from him that I tried to get on a first aid course in time, or now that the inspection is over is there nothing I can do?

Thanks for listening :) Sarah

angeldelight
13-12-2007, 10:40 AM
Hi Sarah

Well done on getting through your inspection and well done with your grade

Shame about your first aid and a little unfair when you have done your best to get on a course
I think I am going to have the same problem next year I have tried already to get on a course and they are fully booked
So what are we supposed to do ?

Not sure if you are going to get anywhere trying to contact this guy but I would def try it is not going to do any harm and could give you a better grading so yes I would def try

Good luck keep us posted on what happens

Angel xx

deb24
13-12-2007, 10:41 AM
That sounds so unfair to me.It's not your fault all the courses are booked.
I would definatly try and get hold of him or give his number to ofsted so they can ask him themselves.Least then they would have some proof.

Blaze
13-12-2007, 10:41 AM
I think it is always worth trying...you don't wamt to be kicking yourself when it really is too late!
Tasha:)

Lou
13-12-2007, 10:57 AM
I know quite a few people that couldnt get on first aid courses in my area, seems like its a real problem.

I only managed to do one earlier this year as i did a mid week one (and lost lots of money from that).

Anyway it seems really bad luck, and i would definatly chase it up!!! keep trying the guy that left the message and kep on to ofsted.

If they give you unsatisfactory do you have to have another inspection sooner than normal? i only ask because if the worst comes to the worse, hopefully you can do the course, then have another inspection and hopefully get a good grade.

Anyway well done otherwise.

Lou xx

sarahashy
13-12-2007, 11:08 AM
Hi thanks for the replies, glad it's not just me that thinks it's a bit unfair! Apparently, the main reason why it had to be unsatisfactory was on my first inspection, the first aid course wasn't until a week after the inspection day, so it was put down as an action. The inspector said because it was an action on both inspections, they didn't really have much choice. She was very nice about it, and I could tell she felt really mean doing it - she did try her best to avoid it.

Yes, I will have to have another inspection, she said it would normally be within 3-6 months, but apparently between March and September next year there won't be any inspections because of the introduction of the EYFs thingy, so it would probably be September.

I don't know who to ring first - should I ring Ofsted to see if there is any point, or should I try the EYDCP man again?

Raggydolls
13-12-2007, 11:22 AM
I would keep trying for the man, and get him to write a letter explaining that u did ask about courses etc and they are indeed full until such and such a date, which u have been booked onto

hth

leanne
xx

sarahashy
13-12-2007, 11:54 AM
I've just rung the woman from the local childcare development project, she was the one who put me in touch with the first aid man to begin with. She is in a meeting but I've left my details and hopefully she'll ring me back with some advice.

At the end of the day, it's just a grading, and if she hadn't of mentioned this providing proof business, I would have just accepted it. All my mindee parents are aware of the situation, and I don't think they could really care less (I mainly do school runs, and the children are aged 6-11)

For all those who are trying to get on a course, and can't - KEEP THE PROOF that you are trying - save your emails, print them off, and just try to get something in writing!

angeldelight
13-12-2007, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the advice Sarah

You are right too it is just a grading and if your parents are happy then that is really good

Hope you get it sorted though

Good luck

Angel xx

Spangles
13-12-2007, 01:54 PM
Hi

I would definitely try and see if I could get proof it were me.

Aren't there going to be any Ofsted inspections anywhere between March and September then? That seems a bit stupid - they'll surely get a huge backlog!

nannan
13-12-2007, 09:24 PM
well done with getting through the inspection, I would keep trying to get the proof, and as soon as you have done the course get in touch with ofsted to come and re-assess you,

sarahashy
18-12-2007, 01:58 PM
Just a quick update. The woman from our local network very kindly put it in writing for me that I had enquired about first aid courses at the beginning of November, and that I now had a confirmed place for a course on February 16th.

So I have written to OFSTED enclosing the letter, and very nicely asked if this would be enough proof, and could I please be satisfactory now. I sent it registered post, but not really expecting to hear anything until after Christmas. I'll let you know what happens (keep your fingers crossed for me!)

Thanks for all the replies and hope you all have a good Christmas.

Thanks, Sarah

angeldelight
18-12-2007, 02:30 PM
That is good news Sarah

Good luck hope Ofsted change it for you

Angel xx

emler
18-12-2007, 03:41 PM
Well done sarah. Fingers crossed your grade is changed - let us know what happens.

Emler x

Mollymop
18-12-2007, 04:14 PM
Good luck Sara. I hope it goes ok for you. :)
Love Sandra XXX

Cammie Doodle
19-12-2007, 11:52 AM
Well done to you for getting written evidence . Good luck June:)

Pauline
19-12-2007, 12:53 PM
only just read this - I think it's such a shame that you have been downgraded when courses are so hard to get on to and well done on getting the proof, hope it helps to at least get you up to a satisfactory.

The same thing could happen to me as the first aid course around here are like gold dust, I've been told that there will be one at the local Sure Start and the co-ordinator has promised me a place but if it dones't go ahead then I will be left with just 3 weeks to find another one before my certificate runs out.

Thanks to your advice I will make sure I get proof that I've been promised one but even so, I'd be heart broken to get a satisfactory just for the fact that a course wasn't available. :(

Monkey1
20-12-2007, 09:16 PM
Good luck with getting them to change it, it seems so unfair.........but half of what they do is unfair!

Sarsar3NCH
21-12-2007, 04:04 PM
That is such a shame.

In my area (Poole) we can book on courses that are running later in the year and I think Ofsted are ok providing you have it booked even if it has lapsed. It is a shame you can't do this elsewhere.

Sarah

bubbly
21-12-2007, 04:56 PM
I had the same problem trying to get on a Birth To Three course. I only became registered in Oct 2007 and immediately tried to get on the final BTT course of the year but it was fully booked. I'm due an inspection (I think) in April 2008 and will do the next available BTT course in March 2008. That doesn't give me much time to put anything into practice before the inspector calls. I know it's all going to change when the new Early Years thingy is introduced but I'm still worried I'm going to get an 'inadequate' based on my lack of BTT experience. It would be so unfair if that happened.

Sarah, I'd also try getting hold of that bloke. You've got nothing to lose and everything to gain. I hope he remembers you. Bribe him if necessary :D (only joking)

fionamal
21-12-2007, 08:59 PM
Hope you have some luck at getting it changed.

Ive been waiting a year to get on a course and only got word last week that my course is now booked for June 2008.

Banana
22-12-2007, 10:55 PM
Sorry to hear that you were graded down for something that was not your fault!

I hope that you get a result with the letter you have sent to Ofsted.

Good luck and keep us posted!

x

Blaze
22-12-2007, 11:00 PM
My area doesn't offer first aid courses, so paid £100 to do it with St John Abulance!

sarahashy
28-12-2007, 01:42 PM
I had the same problem trying to get on a Birth To Three course. I only became registered in Oct 2007 and immediately tried to get on the final BTT course of the year but it was fully booked. I'm due an inspection (I think) in April 2008 and will do the next available BTT course in March 2008. That doesn't give me much time to put anything into practice before the inspector calls. I know it's all going to change when the new Early Years thingy is introduced but I'm still worried I'm going to get an 'inadequate' based on my lack of BTT experience. It would be so unfair if that happened.

Sarah, I'd also try getting hold of that bloke. You've got nothing to lose and everything to gain. I hope he remembers you. Bribe him if necessary :D (only joking)

I don't know if it helps, but as far as other training went, I was panicking also because I have done none whatsoever. In the few weeks leading up to the inspection I did some online courses in food hygiene and child abuse. But to be honest, she wasn't that concerned - one thing she did say was to keep a note on books read, webpages visited, even tv programmes that you have watched that relate in some way to childminding. She said a well kept log of such things is enough to prove that you are trying to keep yourself up to date.

Also I had folders for different areas which I plonked in front of her, and they seemed to keep her busy for a while. I had a safety information folder for children (write off to various safety organizations and they send you free stuff, like the electricity safety place, fire service, road safety etc) one for parents (with info on bullying and street safety) I had a folder with all my policies and procedures (you can never have too many of these and even ones which you think are a bit unnecessary impress) and a folder with multicultural and disability awareness information in (a great site for disability awareness from a child's point of view is SCOPE)

if you want me to go into ant more detail, let me know, and I'd be happy to send you some information.

As far as my situation goes, the report still hasn't been put online, but I haven't heard anything yet. Will keep you posted.:)

carolinel
28-12-2007, 03:51 PM
I don't know if it helps, but as far as other training went, I was panicking also because I have done none whatsoever. In the few weeks leading up to the inspection I did some online courses in food hygiene and child abuse. But to be honest, she wasn't that concerned - one thing she did say was to keep a note on books read, webpages visited, even tv programmes that you have watched that relate in some way to childminding. She said a well kept log of such things is enough to prove that you are trying to keep yourself up to date.
Also I had folders for different areas which I plonked in front of her, and they seemed to keep her busy for a while. I had a safety information folder for children (write off to various safety organizations and they send you free stuff, like the electricity safety place, fire service, road safety etc) one for parents (with info on bullying and street safety) I had a folder with all my policies and procedures (you can never have too many of these and even ones which you think are a bit unnecessary impress) and a folder with multicultural and disability awareness information in (a great site for disability awareness from a child's point of view is SCOPE)

if you want me to go into ant more detail, let me know, and I'd be happy to send you some information.

As far as my situation goes, the report still hasn't been put online, but I haven't heard anything yet. Will keep you posted.:)

Hope you're ok Sarah.

That's a really good idea to keep a record - something I will start to do now. I do go on quite a few courses but also research a lot on the internet.

Thanks for that.

ajs
28-12-2007, 05:10 PM
i really hope you get sorted as i think it's terribly unfair of them to down grade you when you've at least shown that you've attempted to do what they've asked

do you think this forum counts as research then

Banana
03-01-2008, 07:41 PM
That is a really good idea.... Thanks for that Sarahashy,

I will also like Caroline be putting records like that into effect

xx

Blaze
21-01-2008, 02:24 PM
Hi,
Just wondered if you had heard anything yet?

sarahashy
11-03-2008, 11:32 AM
Hi everyone, sorry it's took me so long to update you all, just haven't had much time to come online lately.
I got a telephone call from Ofsted with regards the letter I sent, and she said they couldn't accept it as it was after the inspection had finished, plus the date on the letter was still past when my first aid course had run out. Oh well, it was worth a try!
Took about 6 weeks for my report to come through, and to be honest I am very proud of it. Obviously, I was graded inadequate for the health and organization, but as the inspector promised, she didn't harp on about it, and the positive stuff far outweighed the negative - it detailed all the good stuff, and then right at the end just said something like "the childminder is in breach of regulations for not having a first-aid certificate, therefore the care provided is inadequate".
Anyway, I have now done the bloomin course (obviously all the techniques have changed AGAIN). The one thing I found interesting on it and may be some use is the trainer said he had personally rung OFSTED regarding first aid kits, and what we should have in them, and they conceded that whatever we were told by the course to have, we should have - this included scissors and plasters (hypoallergenic) two areas which I know cause confusion sometimes.
Anyway, thanks for all the support over this situation, and like I said before, if I can help anyone else, just get in touch. Cheers, Sarah x

angeldelight
11-03-2008, 11:50 AM
Oh thats a real shame Sarah but like you said at least you tried

Well done anyway think of the good things now

Angel xx

Tatia
11-03-2008, 12:53 PM
Won't you get another inspection though, since you received unsatisfactory? And now that you have your certificate, you can get the good that you deserve!

ma7ie
11-03-2008, 12:55 PM
Won't you get another inspection though, since you received unsatisfactory? And now that you have your certificate, you can get the good that you deserve!

I was thinking that.

button68
11-03-2008, 01:07 PM
Well this may put the cat amongst the piegons but .... alot of CM's around here have been up in arms because one lady recently inspected had let her First Aid lapse and she still got a 'Good'.

I am not in their 'inner circle' so I have only heard this by listening is to stuff - but there appears to be alot of bad feeling by others who got a 'Good' but had everything in place.

deeb66
11-03-2008, 02:00 PM
I am sorry that it didn't make a difference Sarah but at least you have done your first aid now.

Mandy - I cannot for the life of me understand why a minder with a lapsed first aid cert got Good!

If the first aid cert is not in date then surely she failed to adhere to the standards which would make her Inadequate!

I can understand why others are upset about her grading of Good......I would be too!

angeldelight
12-03-2008, 10:13 AM
Never heard of that Mandy and it should not have been allowed

Angel xx

sarah707
12-03-2008, 10:35 AM
Sarah, your report reads really well and I am sure now you can proudly display your first aid certificate, you are assured of work when all those babies are born in September.

I'm just sorry this had to happen to you. I know you are taking it well and all that but sometimes the system is just not fair :(

Banana
12-03-2008, 11:22 AM
It was worth a try!!

Sorry Ofsted have acted unfairly!!

Just look forward to your next inspection!!

x

maz 123
11-04-2008, 10:44 PM
Hi i am new on this sight i have been minding for 22 years just had my inspection and was graded inadiquate on paperwork
I cant get on the child protection course.There was nothing wrong with the childcare, I thought this was the most important thing. apparantly paperwork must be. when the inspecter was here I didnt know whether to pay attention to her questions or answer the children. in the end I thought the children were more important . the inspector was here four four hours.
Maz
:mad:

angeldelight
11-04-2008, 10:47 PM
This is happening more and more Maz

You must have heaps of experience with how many years you have been minding

It just does not make sense sometimes does it

Then you see new minders just starting out who get outstanding because they concentrate on the paper work and not the kids

It is all mad mad mad

Angel xx

maz 123
11-04-2008, 10:51 PM
Oh well I have my certificate now and have hopefully put all my paperwork in order the are coming back in 6 months to a year. that something to look faward to lol:panic: maz

angeldelight
11-04-2008, 10:53 PM
Well hopefully Maz you find heaps of information in our nice friendly forum so you will knock them down with the knowledge that you learn from us mad friendly lot

Hope you are enjoying the forum so far ?

Angel xx

Heather
12-04-2008, 09:09 PM
After my inspection it went on my report that I had breached a regulation after complaining to ofsted they admitted i hadnt.It took four months for them to remove it i had also had a letter saying i could have been prosecuted.It was in relation to the fact that i didnt just put the contracted hours .If someone was late or less time i was just charging for the time the child was minded I think they should be more concerned about do the parents and children like you and does the childminder like children.
I also think its time they provided a simple list of regulations no one usually takes a test or exam without having an idea of what might be included.If i had known if a child is only with you half an hour but is contracted for an hour you should put an hour or its a fire risk!!! Iwould have just been doing that already i had been really happy as a childminder and wanted to do well in the inspection .I had done every possible policy lots of other folders had lots of photos But i need a list of their regulations all childminders do i think!!!!

sarah707
12-04-2008, 09:14 PM
After my inspection it went on my report that I had breached a regulation after complaining to ofsted they admitted i hadnt.It took four months for them to remove it i had also had a letter saying i could have been prosecuted.It was in relation to the fact that i didnt just put the contracted hours .If someone was late or less time i was just charging for the time the child was minded I think they should be more concerned about do the parents and children like you and does the childminder like children.
I also think its time they provided a simple list of regulations no one usually takes a test or exam without having an idea of what might be included.If i had known if a child is only with you half an hour but is contracted for an hour you should put an hour or its a fire risk!!! Iwould have just been doing that already i had been really happy as a childminder and wanted to do well in the inspection .I had done every possible policy lots of other folders had lots of photos But i need a list of their regulations all childminders do i think!!!!

I totally agree with you Heather - it is very hard for any of us to really know what Ofsted expect from us... and the goal posts seem to change depending on where you live and which inspector you get, which makes it even harder.

Being a member here helps though - it's like a think tank for lots of minders from all over the country. We share ideas, help each other, best practice, what ofsted have said etc...

Welcome! :D

ajs
13-04-2008, 07:36 AM
i am confused heather

if i have a child for an hour contracted time but they arrive 15 mins late and go 15 mins early and i charge the parent just for the half hour they are here surely that is what i should put on my register

if i put they arrive at 8 but they haven't arrived until 8.15 then that is the fire safety risk surely
or am i getting this **** upwards

sorry but i've only just started using a register and want to check that what i am doing is right. if my mindee is booked to come at 8 and comes at 8:08 then that's what i put on my register
Help i am confused now

crazybones
13-04-2008, 07:51 AM
i am confused heather

if i have a child for an hour contracted time but they arrive 15 mins late and go 15 mins early and i charge the parent just for the half hour they are here surely that is what i should put on my register

if i put they arrive at 8 but they haven't arrived until 8.15 then that is the fire safety risk surely
or am i getting this **** upwards

sorry but i've only just started using a register and want to check that what i am doing is right. if my mindee is booked to come at 8 and comes at 8:08 then that's what i put on my register
Help i am confused now

You are right Mandy. It is the time they arrive and leave your house that you log - no matter what the contracted time is. The NCMA book is slightly misleading and I am sure I have read somewhere they are changing it.

miffy
13-04-2008, 07:52 AM
If you are confused mandy then so am I

You should put on the register the time the child arrives and the time he/she leaves - it has nothing to do with the contracted times - the time you record should be exact. Or at least that is what I understand :)

As for what you charge I don't understand that at all it's outside Ofsted's remit

miffy xx

Tatia
13-04-2008, 08:41 AM
I always put down to the minute what time the child is actually in my care, no matter what the contracted times are. The attendance log is to CYA in case of an accident or allegation. I had a minder friend who was pulled up by OFSTED for rounding up or down to nearest 5 minute mark (instead of 8:37, she'd write 8:35).

I'm actually worried about 1 little guy I look after because his time is always precisely on the dot (8:30am-12:00pm) and that is because I pick him up and drop him off and am always bang on time. I'm afraid OFSTED will question it!

crazybones
13-04-2008, 08:50 AM
I always put down to the minute what time the child is actually in my care, no matter what the contracted times are. The attendance log is to CYA in case of an accident or allegation. I had a minder friend who was pulled up by OFSTED for rounding up or down to nearest 5 minute mark (instead of 8:37, she'd write 8:35).

I'm actually worried about 1 little guy I look after because his time is always precisely on the dot (8:30am-12:00pm) and that is because I pick him up and drop him off and am always bang on time. I'm afraid OFSTED will question it!

One of mine reads 8.30 - 12.30 every day and is only different in school hols when he is supposed to be here until 2.30 so that says any time between 2.30 and 3 :rolleyes:. That is because I pick him up on my way to school and drop him at nursery but mum picks him up during hols. The inspector didnt question it.

miffy
13-04-2008, 08:54 AM
I am the same - I have a parent who always drops off at 8.00am exactly! Ofsted didn't query it

miffy xx

deeb66
14-04-2008, 01:06 PM
I also have the same and I just explained that as the parent lived in the next road from me she was always on the dot.

She seemed happy with my explanation.

maz 123
14-04-2008, 05:43 PM
Hi I used to:laughing put the hours that the parents paid for unless they were absent . but i was told that you have to put the exact time they arrive and leave. So now when the children arrive I dont have time to say hello I have to rush to the clock to see the exact minute.
Maz :laughing:

maz 123
14-04-2008, 05:44 PM
Hi I used to put the hours that the parents paid for unless they were absent . but i was told that you have to put the exact time they arrive and leave. So now when the children arrive I dont have time to say hello I have to rush to the clock to see the exact minute.

Rubybubbles
14-04-2008, 05:50 PM
Hi I used to:laughing put the hours that the parents paid for unless they were absent . but i was told that you have to put the exact time they arrive and leave. So now when the children arrive I dont have time to say hello I have to rush to the clock to see the exact minute.

this is what NCMA keep harping on about we HAVE to put the EXACT time they arrive and depart so why is an ofsted inspector saying different what a load of :censored: hehe

I have put a digital clock in the hall and grab the attandence book and am writing in the time as I answer the door, then when they leave the door to go home I write the EXACT:laughing: time they leave, can be up to 15 mins after the arrive, I had never noticed before:laughing:

button68
14-04-2008, 07:23 PM
Gosh this thread thread has got me worried. For one Mindee thier contrated hours (which they pay for) are 8am - 5.30 they only actually use me for 9'ish until 4:15'ish

Am I going to get pulled for this? :( In my attendance register I write the actual time the arrive/leave