PDA

View Full Version : Help before i do it all wrong:(

katickles
27-03-2008, 08:53 PM
Ok just wanted to check - i'm really worried about filling in my accounts book. I know i should have started it by now but am to scared!!!:eek:

Just want to check that when i fill in all my start up costs - i write the date as the first day i started minding? Or do i write it as the dates printed on the receipts? I'm thinking the first answer is right but before i spend a day doing the dreaded i want to make sure i know what i'm doing. I do have all receipts ready to go but just to much of a scardy pants to put pen to paper:panic:

On another note - i've had my name down for a business course since last Oct & finally got my dates through today. Its in May. It least i finally get to go but will be a little late then.

Tily Bud
27-03-2008, 08:56 PM
I personally would put the date as the first day you started minding x As far as i am aware so long as the dates/reciepts fell into the same tax year it doesnt really matter , its the total amounts that matter x the rest is for your own records and if the tax-man should ever call xx

Trouble
27-03-2008, 08:59 PM
i agree then just do it week by week

says she who is doing her later

katickles
27-03-2008, 08:59 PM
Oh thanks for that - thats what i was hoping someone would say - just hope nobody says thats wrong now. I'm going to go for it on Sunday - wish me luck :laughing: :laughing:

Tily Bud
27-03-2008, 09:01 PM
I'll be thinking of you when im slogging over mine too :eek:

sarah707
Cheryl is right...

I rarely put dates, especially as I have lots of entries like ... paper 2.99, magazine 4.20, resources £3.99 etc... a date doesn't really say much so long as the things I have bought are relevant to the business. :D

Trouble
i think i need to come

youll be confused when you come back but good luck anyway

Tily Bud
27-03-2008, 09:05 PM
I like Sarah have loads of reciepts and used to fill my accounts book writing them all out separately - what i do now is sort them all out into weeks then number them , say 1 - 10 and just write ' reciepts 1 - 10 ' in then put the total amount in the expenses column and staple the corresponding reciepts to the page.

Hope this helps and doesnt confuse you :)

tulip0803
27-03-2008, 10:08 PM
I spoke to the man from the self employment tax helpline and he said just put them down as "start-up costs" on the first day you mind. I would keep all the receipts in an envelope with start-up costs on it - just in case he ever wants to see them.:)

deeb66
31-03-2008, 12:17 PM
I spoke to the man from the self employment tax helpline and he said just put them down as "start-up costs" on the first day you mind. I would keep all the receipts in an envelope with start-up costs on it - just in case he ever wants to see them.:)

That is exactly what I would do!

I don't put dates on mine either