PDA

View Full Version : others alowed to collect a child

jellybean cc
08-06-2010, 03:04 PM
I used to know a childminder years ago. One of her little ones was picked up by an older sister about 15 years old if my memory is right and taken home.
Just remembered this as i am writing my late pick up policy

What would be the legal age a person can collect a child from me with parental permission.

Just in case it ever happens.

thanks

nokidshere
08-06-2010, 03:42 PM
I state in my contract that no-one under the age of 16 will be allowed to collect a child from my house.

mama2three
08-06-2010, 03:45 PM
there isnt a 'legal' age , but i would say 16 too.

huggableshelly
08-06-2010, 03:49 PM
I do not state an age and have had a 15 year old pick up from me due to Mom working late but the deal was she was to then take the 5 yr old to Moms work, Mom then text to let me know they had arrived. I did not allow her to pick up when she was younger, by 15 she was considered responsible by her Parents and i was happy with the occasional arrangment too.

I would say over 16 is a prefered age though.

sweets
08-06-2010, 04:36 PM
i have it in my polices that no one under 16 can pick a child up unless they are the childs parent (i am on the teen parent network!)

i think tho that i would judge each case individually , if it was a sensible sibling and the child being picked up wasnt a baby then i would probably allow a 15 year old to pick up.

little_gems
08-06-2010, 06:31 PM
i say 18!!! i just think then if anything happens then at least i've passed the child onto an adult.

Trouble
08-06-2010, 06:36 PM
it would depend on the child and the teenager picking up where they have to go to and for how long on own:)

Blue Boy
09-06-2010, 06:00 PM
This has made us think about re-writing our policy. We nearly had the situation when a grandparent who would normally pick up told us that he nearly sent the child's 14 year old cousin to pick him up. They would not have been allowed to take them I may add!

peanuts
09-06-2010, 06:07 PM
i have it in my policies that no one under the age of 16 is allowed to pick up/drop off.

I ended up having a wee one till the back of 8 one night when i finish at 5.30.

I'm sure when i started out over 10 years ago i was told it was a legal requirement.

miffy
09-06-2010, 09:26 PM
i have it in my polices that no one under 16 can pick a child up unless they are the childs parent (i am on the teen parent network!)

i think tho that i would judge each case individually , if it was a sensible sibling and the child being picked up wasnt a baby then i would probably allow a 15 year old to pick up.

I agree with that and have allowed a 15yo to collect her younger brother but they only lived round the corner from me and I knew the 15yo well as I had looked after her too.

Miffy xx

chez
09-06-2010, 09:43 PM
Id say 16 unless they are the childs parents.

jellybean cc
09-06-2010, 10:52 PM
Thanks everyone i think i will put 16 years or over on my policy as i am new to this town so don't know any teenagers personally and would hate something to happen after i let a child leave with someone younger.

Millenium
10-06-2010, 08:49 AM
In my contracts, I include full details of anyone who at the outset of the contract, the parent authorises to collect their child.

I had a case once where a child's grandparent (who I knew), turned up on my door step to collect the child but they were not on the parent's "approved list" and I wouldn't hand the child over. I phoned the mother only to find out that there has been this big "falling-out" with the mother's parents and they certainly didn't want their child going to them. Phew!