PDA

View Full Version : Fair charges and tax credits

gigglinggoblin
08-06-2010, 01:37 PM
Parent has enquired about me collecting child from playgroup and having them til she finishes work which might be after 1 hour or might be 2.5. I said I normally charge £10 per session abut she wanted to know hourly fee (I said £3 but would have to charge a minimum). She says she should find out hours weekly and will have a better idea tomorrow so she wants to come round thurs to discuss, she did say she needs to fill in a tax credits form so I know she wont have to pay all of the fees out of her own pocket. She also wants me to give him lunch (I think) but I dont know if she plans to pay for this or not. I would normally include it in the session fee but not if I am only being paid £3!

What would you all do? I dont want to collect in the middle of the day and charge hourly as that will essentially be a full day space taken for £3 or £6, tbh its not worth my wihle even being available for that, he is likely to be the only child other than my own and it will mean I cant go out as I have to be back for pick up. Is it unreasonable to stick to session fee of £10 no matter when he is picked up and would tax credits pay her for that? Not had to deal with tax credit forms before so I wonder what is fair, when I was initially asked it was for totally different hours so I am not even sure if I want to take him on now.

Gah! And just noticed I need to get to school so apologies if I dont reply for a while!

HELEN10
08-06-2010, 03:34 PM
Well for a start i would be charging whilst in playgroup and if it is until after one then would be a full day which is £30.00, as won't be able to fill afternoons if that child is taking up half of it! Up till one o'clock i would charge £17.50 which is my half day charge.

Tax credits just ask her childcare charges not the hours they attend. It's your business and your charging policy, they do not get involved with that.

Pipsqueak
08-06-2010, 05:15 PM
I wouldn't charge while the child is in playgroup unless I had dropped them off and was responsible for collecting.
Seeing as its only a pick up perhaps you need to put minimum hours on per day regardless of how long the child is staying with you.

It sounds like you aren't keen on having the contract because yes, effectively its taking up a whole day space.

moljak
08-06-2010, 06:08 PM
I personally wouldn't charge for just the hour.The child is taking up a space you might be able to fill next week.
Mum needs to unsderstand that and if she wants you then needs to pay the session fee you usually charge.

little_gems
08-06-2010, 06:20 PM
hi i would charge a session price.
its taken me a while to realise that i can charge what i want(within reason) and if a parent want you that badly then they'll pay.

if they are taking up a place then charge. I do feel bad sometimes charging parents but then i dont when tax credits pay for most people's

green puppy
08-06-2010, 06:54 PM
If it is a morning play group session and you would be needed to have the child if play group had to close or in the holidays then I would charge while they are there, because you would not be able to take another child for a couple of hours.