PDA

View Full Version : new routine - advice please

terrydoo73
08-06-2010, 10:53 AM
I have twin boys 3 days a week 10 hours each day (8 - 6). They usually go down for a sleep with me about midday but the most I get out of them is 1 hour. They do not eat very well when with me and I rarely take them out to toddler groups etc (not just because of routine of sleeping but also very boisterous).

However this week I decided to change things slightly. Today I have been out to toddlers and am just back. I am now going to give them their lunch of pizza and yoghurt and will put them down to sleep around 1. I am hoping they might sleep a bit better and also I used to have to make lunch for about 2 hours every day - ie have our own along with another mindee then when the twins got up make theirs so it took around 2 hours in the kitchen between preparing, eating and clearing up!

They are dead tired at the moment and I am worried they might not eat anything. At toddlers there was cheese, toast and banana which they picked at - one piece here and then ran back to play etc.

I know from mum this is not normal routine for the other 4 days of the week - when awake in the morning mum doesn't get them up and dressed until 9 or 10 am and they are back down to sleep around 12.30 for up to 3 hours. They eat like horses at home having 2 cooked meals at lunch and evening as well as their cereal in the morning and a bottle of milk both morning and evening.

Why am I taking this attitude - my day just seems to revolve around them and I get nothing done in terms of going out and meeting others and I am constantly on my feet with cooking and clearing up.

Do you think this will work? I am planning to take them out again to a soft play area on Thursday morning too for an hour - it is only 10 mins away and they have a toddler session there. I just think at their age 2 years 2 months they need to be doing more than playing by themselves and although boisterous surely getting out amongst groups they will soon learn what is and what is not acceptable play and behaviour. I know some parents expressed concern this morning at my twins in terms of taking toys and pushing but you cannot wrap your children up in cotton wool they have to learn the real world some time!

mama2three
08-06-2010, 11:34 AM
I think youre doing the right thing. They will never learn to share and be sociable with other children without opportunities and consistency..and you will probably find other parents at the groups are fine about it once they see that you are dealing with their behaviour not another mum ignoring it!
They will probably start eating for you if they are together with yourself and other mindee at mealtimes , and know that they sit until lunchtime is over whether they are eating or not!
You need to follow parents wishes and routines wherever possible of course - but there is a limit and it sounds like you are putting the childrens needs as high priority , along with your own! I bet you see a difference in them very soon , and you can show mum how well it is working for them.

moljak
08-06-2010, 12:02 PM
All you can do is give it a go.If you feel this will be beneficial to both you and them then try and see :)

sweets
08-06-2010, 12:13 PM
good for you, you need get those twins into your routine! lol.

i know what you mean by thinking they may be too tired to eat, i have one mindee similar age and morning activites really tire her out so i am always prepared and have a quick lunch ready for when we get back, something you can just bung in the microwave to heat up and eating within 15 mins of being home then straight to bed for a couple of hours.

as for the behaivour , don't worry, they are 2 and most 2 year olds just dont get sharing! lol. as long as you are always watching them and intervining when neccessary then just ignore the people who mutter and tut.:D

terrydoo73
08-06-2010, 01:34 PM
Well they didn't eat very much of the pizza and they slept for only 1 1/2 hours. Better than nothing I guess!

Text mum to ask her about the pizza whether had it before and she said yes - yesterday! I don't know how to ask or say to her tactfully that it might be better to try something different for them to eat every day - I would get bored eating the same thing I am not keen on for 2 or 3 days in a row!

They seem to be as lively as ever after their sleep - just another 3 1/2 hours until home time! I am not sure now whether to give them something to eat again before they go home for a cooked meal at 6 pm.