PDA

View Full Version : HELP PLEASE impetigo

snufflepuff
07-06-2010, 07:26 PM
I posted last week about my mindee who had impetigo. Her Mum has just emailed to ask if she should bring her tomorrow or not. She said she still has blisters on her knees and one on her finger (it was on her face, hands and legs) She needs to have cream applied 3 times a day.
Im not sure what to say. I have been told that they are fine once they have been having treatment for 48 hours, but others have said to wait until it is all cleared up and healing.
Im worried about it spreading- i care for all one year olds so they are always putting things in their mouths, sharing cups/ dummies, touching eachother etc.

sarah707
07-06-2010, 07:45 PM
Can the spots be covered up? :D

jumpinjen
07-06-2010, 07:49 PM
My friend has mindees with impetigo and they were required to saty off school until all healed, so didn't go to her either.....

read this link from the health protection agency for full information:
http://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/education/infoforschools/NIC/adminhs/infectiousdisea_/impetigo/Impetigo.pdf

It's a factsheet so you can print out for parents too. It says most contagious in young children and definately until sores have crusted over and stopped discharging pus..... which takes a few days after starting treatment.

It should help you to decide what it best!

jen x

snufflepuff
07-06-2010, 08:27 PM
Thanks for that link Jen it was really helpful. I have asked her to keep her at home- it says 10 days and it all started last Tuesday so she needs to stay away this week really. Not sure Mum is too pleased to be honest, but i need to think of the other children. Plus i have learned that its best to follow the correct procedures, otherwise parents think they can get away with bringing LO in when they are ill in the future!

TheBTeam
07-06-2010, 09:12 PM
Information on this link is the HPA website

http://www.hpa.org.uk/web/HPAwebFile/HPAweb_C/1194947358374

miffy
08-06-2010, 06:46 AM
Our school won't accept until it's completely cleared up so I don't either.

Miffy xx

jumpinjen
08-06-2010, 10:49 PM
Thanks for that link Jen it was really helpful. I have asked her to keep her at home- it says 10 days and it all started last Tuesday so she needs to stay away this week really. Not sure Mum is too pleased to be honest, but i need to think of the other children. Plus i have learned that its best to follow the correct procedures, otherwise parents think they can get away with bringing LO in when they are ill in the future!

Glad you found it useful..... and that you have made a decision, it is difficult but would be awful if more of your mindees got it!

jen x