PDA

View Full Version : Do you do single days care?

fridaysoff
07-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Hi everyone can you give me your advice?

got a child I had since 6 mths old, now 3yrs and beginning nursery on dif days to mine. Mum is working in early years centre and has often been quite demanding - I do do everything properly but there are times when things just don't slot together aren't there?!
Anyway she wants to go down to one day (from 2 days a week) In my last but one newsletter I said no more single days (paperwork too much for 1 day - can't do meaningful planning, child relationships with others suffers a bit, plus may leave me with a one day vacancy meaning double paperwork when I fill that with a one day - if I can find one). When she doesn't get her own way she will often refer to parents needs etc etc (BUT there is a LIMIT!)
Also wants pre-schl voucher thing when I'm accredited. I discover the hourly rate paid is 88p per hour less than I charge. We can't charge top up. I don't have anyone else using pre-schl vouchers and actualy just doing accredited procedure to open up a few more opportunities.. He's going to preschl on the other days in a village outside of my town which will make it difficult to link up... nice child and I support continuity but this isn't looking appealing. What would you do?

TheBTeam
07-06-2010, 07:18 PM
Sorry didnt want to read and run, but from reading your post it almost sounds like you know what you want to do, and if I could afford it i would poss say not to do it, although you would be left with four days which you could possibly fill, if the mum with one day would then fit around any four day space you could fill.

mummyof3
07-06-2010, 07:24 PM
I have a little one who I look after 1 day a week before and after school and all day in school hols (4yrs old) and to be honest I really wish I hadn't taken him on. He is lovely and parents are fantastic but its really hard to fill places around him. I've lost count of the amount of full timers and part timers I have turned away because of the one day as he is in my EYFS range.

Think hard before you make the decision at the end of the day we have bills to pay and places to be filled.

Good Luck :D

MAWI
07-06-2010, 07:34 PM
I think sometimes unfortunatley we naturally slip into one day care. It has happened to me twice. Current child who is one day a week was three DAYS Initially, then two ( when preschool started) and now only one day. I did consider giving notice because of all the reasons you mentioned.
I am reluctant to offer the one day but I will continue with this contract, but I have told mum that she may have to be flexible if someone wanting more days comes along. She tells me on one hand that she wanst tostick with me but hen gradually reduces the hours!!
Its a tough one, I do tend to think that sometimes that parents forgot that we are actually trying to run a business also.
Im definatley not taking any new contracts for one day a week as it just does not seem to work for me and my setting.

TammyN
07-06-2010, 07:35 PM
hmmm, not sure what you should do but it is making me think about a parent i have coming to see me tomorrow for a one day place. especially when there's a possibility of a term time only child coming in sept?

huggableshelly
07-06-2010, 07:41 PM
i offer flexi care so yep I get one day mindees one wk then they do 3 days another wk.

i have 1 mindee who only does 2 hours a wk age 3
another age 11 again only does 2 hours a wk but obviously much older.

i am lucky though, the parents who's children are only with me once a wk are able to swap days to work around shift working parents so it works well for me.