PDA

View Full Version : medical form charges

Mookins
07-06-2010, 09:43 AM
ok for those who are startingout you will find that various surgeries charge various prices for your medical form for those lucky people you may find the chargeto be quite low, after having the bill sent through for mine being at £108:eek: :angry: i went into my surgery today and queried the cost, had set aside money for mine thinking maximum £50 and this was over double

i was told they go by the British Medical assocciation prices!!!!

now ive been on the website and the area i seem to want to find is restricted:rolleyes:

but please all be aware that its different for different surgeries, so think high charges and hopefully you will all get a better result than i did!

BUT.... if you dont, go back to the surgery explain, its terrible price, cant afford it, starting out as a new business, childminding not opening a nursery etc etc:went into my surgery this morning and explained there was no way i can afford to pay the cost in the 10 days theyve given me so they are going to speak to my dr and see if they can reduce the cost.:) fingers corossed

They do not have to charge these huge amounts, 4 other surgeries i know of charge from £15 to £46.75!! i rang and asked!!

best of luck peeps x x x

marzi
07-06-2010, 12:02 PM
Saying they charge BMA prices is rubbish. I was told on my ICP that dr's aren't regulated or restricted in anyway on the prices they charge so basically they can charge what they like. Its greed, pure and simple.

Mookins
07-06-2010, 12:06 PM
EXACTLY:angry:

the receptioniost told me today as they had filled in the form and sent it off I HAVE to pay....said i realise that but as i only droppped it in for a price request i could actually refuse on the basis i didnt agree for them to go ahead with it!!

she was stunned to say the least...so true though

x x x

Mookins
07-06-2010, 03:39 PM
UPDATE:

just had a phonecall they are only going to cxharge me £24.50!!

YEEEEEHAAAAAAA:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :D

aly
07-06-2010, 03:43 PM
good for you hun.

I cant believe what they charge for looking at your file and in my case he ticked a box and signed all for £50...:panic:

Mookins
07-06-2010, 03:48 PM
I think nafter the few days ive had worrying over it they should be paying me!!!:idea:
x x

grindal
07-06-2010, 04:03 PM
£108 is outrageous!! I got mine over a year ago now - I remember the receptionist being really apologetic that there was a charge - it was £5!!!!

Mookins
07-06-2010, 04:08 PM
£5!!!!:eek:

thats just laughable

x x x

pinkbutterfly
07-06-2010, 04:13 PM
Well done Mookins ... told you, didn't I? :laughing:
I guess they try it on ... some people will not say anything and pay and some will question the fee.

Emz
07-06-2010, 04:53 PM
UPDATE:

just had a phonecall they are only going to cxharge me £24.50!!

YEEEEEHAAAAAAA:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :D

:jump for joy: :jump for joy: that sounds much better x

Mookins
07-06-2010, 09:57 PM
Well done Mookins ... told you, didn't I? :laughing:
I guess they try it on ... some people will not say anything and pay and some will question the fee.

you certainly did hun, told all the ladies on my course too, someone said it was because i live in a wealthy area...someone else said maybe my medical file was bigger than someone elses...

i said cobblers ( i say that alot) THER MONEY GRABBERS!

big relief though x x x

marzi
07-06-2010, 10:32 PM
Good for you just goes to show really that they expect people to not question but its worth it!

dianemellors
07-06-2010, 11:05 PM
well done!
mine cost me £25

Excitable
09-06-2010, 07:50 PM
Perhaps we need to make it clear when we go to the doctors that it's just a standard report that we want and we don't want to pay extra for the one that's plated in GOLD and SINGS to us in SWEDISH. Just the normal one will be fine. Tsk! *walks away shaking head and muttering* :rolleyes:

Mookins
09-06-2010, 08:03 PM
Perhaps we need to make it clear when we go to the doctors that it's just a standard report that we want and we don't want to pay extra for the one that's plated in GOLD and SINGS to us in SWEDISH. Just the normal one will be fine. Tsk! *walks away shaking head and muttering* :rolleyes:

:laughing: x x

Toothfairy
09-06-2010, 08:07 PM
£108 :eek:
My Doctors didn't charge me at all, I just handed it in at the desk and went back for it a few days later.

I've never had a bill for it.

jellybean cc
09-06-2010, 09:51 PM
Mine is £89:50. I did ask if they would sign it and let me pay weekly as i am not working but they were not interested, in fact it delayed things as i ended up putting a bit aside each week for 5 weeks then taking the form in.

Everyone claims they want to help people get back into work and off the benefit system, well thanks to my greedy Dr i had to delay by 5 weeks so thats 5 weeks extra benefit i had to be payed.

edited have just found this on British medical web site. so i guess my Dr was right and some of you were very lucky with what you payed

http://www.bma.org.uk/employmentandcontracts/fees/mafees.jsp?page=7

Mookins
10-06-2010, 07:00 AM
Mine is £89:50. I did ask if they would sign it and let me pay weekly as i am not working but they were not interested, in fact it delayed things as i ended up putting a bit aside each week for 5 weeks then taking the form in.

Everyone claims they want to help people get back into work and off the benefit system, well thanks to my greedy Dr i had to delay by 5 weeks so thats 5 weeks extra benefit i had to be payed.

edited have just found this on British medical web site. so i guess my Dr was right and some of you were very lucky with what you payed

http://www.bma.org.uk/employmentandcontracts/fees/mafees.jsp?page=7

ooh well done you found it, only my drs were charging vat on top of that! and a bit more...cant believe they wouldnt let you pay weekly:(
x x x

daazee
10-06-2010, 07:11 PM
I believe some surgeries are just trying to make money, I only had to pay £10 just as well really as I needed one for my daughter. It really seems unfair that some people have to pay so much.

Don't forget you can claim it as an expense when filling in a tax return.

hannahemilie
10-06-2010, 09:44 PM
I cant believe they charge so much its disgusting, im taking mine in in a week or so, ive made an appointment with the nicest doctor at the practice, so will ask her to do it for free face to face. im going to play the single mother on benefits card and see what happens!

moljak
11-06-2010, 02:46 PM
well done!

I paid £25 and even finding that was a struggle as it was just before xmas.

Mookins
11-06-2010, 02:57 PM
just had ofsted ring:eek: wanted to know had i sent the main form off as they have my medical form....said i was posting it tomorrow...is there something wrong?
oh good she said we are trying to get them completed to meet with a backlog so checking your form wasnt lost

oh well best i send off the form then, if i can just prise hubby from the telly i might even start getting the house ready!!!!!!!!

x x x

SaijaM
12-06-2010, 06:31 PM
Gosh all these charges...!? And how much they vary.

My doctors surgery told me initially £75 and after they saw my jaw drop to the ground, they had a little think and told me it's £25 afterall....

So yes, I guess they just pull the amount from a hat and see what happens...

xx Saija

samb
14-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Mine cost £80. I tried to get them to reduce it as I was quoted about £30 when I took the form in but she said the dr can choose what he charges. I put if off but then realised I had to have it - it's not like you can shop around. Tried one last time to get it cheaper but had to pay in the end.:panic:

Junglemum
01-07-2010, 12:13 PM
I just had mine done - due to reading this post I requested a quote first just in case. I got charged £20 :clapping: I was very relieved considering I am going to have to come up with about £90 for the first aid course.

Tribe_mummy
01-07-2010, 02:55 PM
Mine is £40 + VAT :( got an appointmentwith Job centre next week so gonna ask if they can help with the cost of mine. Don't ask , don't get as my mum always taught me :D