PDA

View Full Version : Furious!

Tatia
27-03-2008, 04:12 PM
One of my dads just came to collect 5 yr old, who is always a nightmare come collection time. The lo (hah! little monster more like) steps out the door, grabs a rock and runs to edge of pavement and throws the rock into the road, barely missing a passing car! All happened in a short space of time, with Dad saying half-heartedly "put that down. come back here". I hadn't noticed what he had picked up but Dad knew, obviously. Then he just sort of says the child's name but does nothing else!:angry: And the worst part is the lo is smiling saying "I almost got a car". I waited a second or two to see if Dad was gonna intervene and nothing so I thought forget that and told him off, grounded him from Playstation and telly tomorrow and remind him of the damage he could have caused, all in front of Dad. He's a single parent, a bit overwhelmed by boisterous child as he just got custody about 6 months ago in bitter court case. I feel for him but this child wreaks havoc when his dad is there. He's really good when he's not and minds me very well cos he knows the rules.

I hate feeling like I overstepped the mark in front of parent but I don't really think I did. Just second guessing myself.

angeldelight
27-03-2008, 04:15 PM
I dont think you really over stepped the mark it is hard to know sometimes what to do when a parent is there

I know most of the kids I mind though can be angels but when parents turn up they are monsters and show off do things for attention etc

I have had to have words with kids before in the past in front of their parent so dont worry about it

Angel xx

Pudding Girl
27-03-2008, 04:24 PM
Your property, your rules hon, I would have done the same

chubbymummy
27-03-2008, 04:27 PM

it's your house!!!!!!! until the kids leave my house they have to stick by my rules even if that means telling off the children while parents are there.

good on you!!!

emler
27-03-2008, 04:47 PM
Well done - I think you did the right thing. There's no way I would have stayed quiet in the same situation.

Emler x

Blaze
27-03-2008, 04:51 PM
I agree with everyone else...you definately did the right thing!
Tasha:)

Tatia
27-03-2008, 04:57 PM
Thanks everyone. It's nice to hear from everyone else. I guess I really know I did the right thing but I feel like with this particular child, who I really care for and get along with, it's always a negative view for Dad cos he only ever sees me telling him off! How do you say to a parent that his child is fantastic until Dad turns up? I do try to make sure he hears all about the good things but they do seem to be overshadowed by the immediate hell of collection time!:D

deeb66
27-03-2008, 05:02 PM
I think you did the right thing too!

I leave behaviour etc to the parent once they have exited out of my front door but if I was put in that situation I would react as you did too!

After all the child should be told they have done wrong and at the end of the day it would have been you that had to face the consequences/backlash if the stone had hit a neighbours car!

I am sure that my neighbours wouldn't be happy with me if I let the kids run riot like that!

ma7ie
27-03-2008, 05:07 PM
You definately did the right thing and I'd like to think I would do the same if I was in your position. :D

sarah707
27-03-2008, 05:56 PM
By doing what you did you were teaching the father how to effectively parent his child. If he chooses not to follow your lead, then at least you can say that you did your best. :D

miffy
27-03-2008, 06:02 PM
You did the right thing you know that - the child has to learn that his actions have consequences

Well done cos it's not always easy to step in when the parents are there

miffy xx

charleyfarley
27-03-2008, 06:18 PM
You definately did the right thing. Well done

I really hate stepping in when parents are here but if they don't tell their child to stop doing something then I will.

It normally makes them leave a lot quicker too

Carol xx

Banana
27-03-2008, 06:23 PM
Tatia - any one of us would have done exactky what you did!

I would not worry about it in the slightest!

x

Minnie Minx
27-03-2008, 08:08 PM

hear hear, i agree

xxx

Tatia
28-03-2008, 07:34 AM
I just want to thank everyone for the support and encouragement. This really is a great place to be! :group hug: