PDA

View Full Version : I want to give notice

charliegee
07-06-2010, 09:20 AM
Hello everyone

hope you've all had a lovely weekend

....wondering if you'd be able to offer words of wisdom for anyone who's given notice.

Basically I'm feeling so so shattered.....I'm contracted to 55 hours a week - 5 days a week plus all hte paperwork and constant cleaning....

(although I know you ladies and gents will understand as bet loads of you work just like me - makes me feel bad complaining!)

I'm wanting to reduce hours - I'm taking some holiday (which I do once in a blue moon!!) and one set of parents got really funny about it (made a big thing about it being inconvenient and made me feel terrible!) and after chatting with hubby he says lose one day a week and go down to 4 days.

this would mean me giving notice to a child I really like (financially makes sense that I would give notice to them rather than another family :blush: )

they are shift workers and I know would really struggle to find alternative care

has anyone else been in this position before?

x

wellybelly
07-06-2010, 09:37 AM
I work 60 hours a week and like you am fed up with it, hwever I have the bonus excuse of being pregnant. I thought this would be a great way to say to parents sorry but I'm reducing my hours but some thim have still been put out even with double the amount of notice I have to give.

It shocks me parents don't think about our needs for ourselves and families but continue to demand more and more.

I am toughening up and standing my ground. I wish I'd never agrred to work every hour going and feel my poor family suffer the most. So now I am pregnant, my priorities have changed and therfore the job / hours are being reduced to almost half.

Don't feel bad about giving notice. it gets easier.

funemnx
07-06-2010, 12:18 PM
Have any of your childminder friends got a Friday space? It might be easier for you to tell them if you can offer a solution ;)

The Juggler
07-06-2010, 01:18 PM
hon, I'd explain the situatio to them. When I've needed to reduce days I work in the holidays and to have early finishes for college I've thought I was going to lose the child. However, I've often been surprised at how understanding families can be and rather than lose you they often want to stay and work around your new patterns.

The parents may be able to work around you and your day off (especially if it's shifts as they may not need that day every week). They might have a friend/family who can help out for the odd days.

Speak to them and see.:)

cuffleygirl
07-06-2010, 01:20 PM
I am to do this also to a family that have been driving me bonkers - I have daily rate based on set hours 8-6 they turn up early, leave late, constantly try to move days, arrive I'll and try to get round d&v it's always something they've eaten (I always say no but resent them asking). Oh and the other thing that gets me is when I'm not working for the family and mum is at toddlers with lo she always tries to offload by sending lo over to me!

They do all this and crazily I'm still nervous of giving notice has to be dine this week am doing for the same reason as you need to reduce hours for family, health and sanity reasons I have to do it this week don't suppose they will be happy!

Here's the thing - I'll do it if you do! Good luck

Bushpig
07-06-2010, 01:31 PM
I have done two things recently for ME:

(1) Gave notice to a parent who (in 3 months) had SIX contract changes... always shifting times and messing me around... she then asked for 2 months off as she's doing her PhD and will get nursery help at the varsity, not wanting to pay me any retainer to keep her daughter's place in the meantime... so, notice was given. Space was immediately filled :thumbsup:

(2) For health reasons I have changed my workload from 5 to 4 days, effective 1 July :) :)