PDA

View Full Version : Hives?

snufflepuff
06-06-2010, 09:07 PM
One of my mindees apparently has 'hives from the heat' today. Is that possible? Wouldn't heat cause heat rash or prickly heat? I always thought hives was an allergic reaction sort of rash. (Plus it's not been that hot today, certainly not as hot as it has been recently, so seems strange that she has it today but has not had it before)
I know either way it's not contagious so no need for her to stay home, but if it is a reaction to something im thinking she should probably be checked out?

Trouble
06-06-2010, 09:09 PM
hives are itchy spots and possibly rash,

but i would make sure its not chicken spots and have it checked out

they do a calamine lotion now which cools tell them to try that

Pipsqueak
06-06-2010, 09:13 PM
its is perfectly possible hun. I have an allergic reaction to the sun and my skin bubbles and fries (gross sorry). i get spots that look initally like CP and then they turn blistery looking. they itch like mad, i feel sick, dizzy and generally really yuk

if you are sure its not CP then tell the mum to supply sunblock for the child, long sleeved t's, hats and anti-histamines and aqueous calamine. its extremely uncomfortable and unpleasant.

littletreasures
06-06-2010, 09:17 PM
A little girl I used to look after got hives when it was hot and also muggy so it could be.

I had never seen hives before so didn't know what it was initially. Mum had told me about it and given me some antihistamine medicine to keep at mine. I phoned Mum and talked to her and gave lo a dose and it calmed down fairly quickly.

snufflepuff
06-06-2010, 09:19 PM
its is perfectly possible hun. I have an allergic reaction to the sun and my skin bubbles and fries (gross sorry). i get spots that look initally like CP and then they turn blistery looking. they itch like mad, i feel sick, dizzy and generally really yuk

if you are sure its not CP then tell the mum to supply sunblock for the child, long sleeved t's, hats and anti-histamines and aqueous calamine. its extremely uncomfortable and unpleasant.

wow you poor thing that sounds awful! Mum says its not bothering her so i dont think its the same thing. And not CP as she had it not long ago.

Pipsqueak
06-06-2010, 09:28 PM
wow you poor thing that sounds awful! Mum says its not bothering her so i dont think its the same thing. And not CP as she had it not long ago.

got used to it now but it can make me quite poorly and its really unsightly. when its at its worst as it has been this weekend, its on my face and my scalp chest and arms (the feet are the worst cus its painful) and any place that is only lightly covered. I have to put gloves on at night so I don't wake up looking like I've been devoured by vampires!!!:D although Edward or Carlise Cullen can have a go if they want;)

sometimes it doesn't bother me as bad though

mind you its possible to get CP again!

louise
06-06-2010, 09:35 PM

Pip, I think i might have spoken to you before about this. Have you been to the Dr about it? My ds has actinic prurigo. Sound so similar to you. There are other forms of it as well. Ds sees Dr Sarkany at St Thomas' now once a year. He saw him a few weeks ago and they think he may be growing out of it. His has been treated with Eumovate and Dermovate. He has to have factor 50 on every 2-3 hours.

Pipsqueak
06-06-2010, 09:40 PM
Pip, I think i might have spoken to you before about this. Have you been to the Dr about it? My ds has actinic prurigo. Sound so similar to you. There are other forms of it as well. Ds sees Dr Sarkany at St Thomas' now once a year. He saw him a few weeks ago and they think he may be growing out of it. His has been treated with Eumovate and Dermovate. He has to have factor 50 on every 2-3 hours.

yes Louise we did pm about this.
My doctor just dismisses it and prescribes sunblock and tells me to keep out the sun and oh here are some anti histamines.
I suffered badly with it when i was little and round about the age of 12/13 I grew out of it - it was still there but never as bad and then it disappeared totally when I was around 18. It then came back with a vengance when I was about 25 and its getting steadily worse each year.

louise
06-06-2010, 09:48 PM
I thought we may have. Ds started when he was 2 I had to see many drs untill one refered him. Such a shame its coming back. Do try and get some creams for it as well. We have been told he can have steroid tabs for a bad flare up. They also use light therapy and Thiamine tabs.I really hope ds's is going. I really struggled to get the suncream on script for him.

The Juggler
07-06-2010, 06:27 AM

I saw you post this the other day hon. Have you been ok in all this sun and heat??:(

Pipsqueak
07-06-2010, 07:12 AM
I saw you post this the other day hon. Have you been ok in all this sun and heat??:(

Itchy, blotchy and uncomfy but fine thanks. I just cover up and hide in the house!! :)

snufflepuff
07-06-2010, 08:17 AM
Well mindee is here today and no sign of any rash. Mum said it was all swolen and blotchy, mainly where her clothes rubbed her skin. So doesn't sound like heat rash. I'll ask later if perhpas she has changed washing powder of something.
If it was an allergy to the sun/ heat, would it be worst where clothes rub? Or worst on areas exposed to the sun?

snufflepuff
07-06-2010, 01:55 PM
I have just noticed that she has had patches of hives come up on her tummy, the back of her thighs, and her cheek. Her ears are bright red and hot too. It can't be the heat, it is not hot here today, infact it is quite chilly. Do you think i should ask mum to take her to the GP?

Minstrel
09-06-2010, 01:18 PM
My ds is allergic to suncream so at first we thought it was the heat because it only came up in warm weather and obviously we'd applied lotion. Even though its chilly, is it bright? and do you think mum has put suncream on her?

snufflepuff
09-06-2010, 01:41 PM
No she didnt have suncream on, and it was quite dull outside.
She said the only thing she has changed is her nappies, but she refuses to believe it could be that because she bought such a big pack......erm, ok!
I think she spoke to the GP yesterday so ill find out what he said when she comes to me on Friday.

cs01
09-06-2010, 01:55 PM
My daughter suffers from hives. She was referred to a consultant at the hospital because there was no explanation as to why she was getting them. He told me some children do just get them for no reason. She was allergy tested and all tests came back negative. Now I have to give her anti-histamine (2.5ml) every day and just hope she will out grow it. She's had them now for 2 years and if I forget to give her the antihistamine, the hives flare up again, look really awful and have been known to appear then disappear before my eyes!

It might be a similar case for your mindee.

wellybelly
09-06-2010, 03:18 PM
My sister gets hives before she has a bad reaction to something, it's like her warning sign. She has a nut allergy and she always reads that as eppi pen time.