PDA

View Full Version : How do I tell parents to take their shoes off

solly
06-06-2010, 05:31 PM
I have had lovely wood flooring put down in my livingroom this week and each day will put the foam mats down from the ELC to protect the floor but also make it more comfortable for the children.
My parents have always told the children to take their shoes off in the hall but they have always walked in my livingroom with shoes on my carpet was old and although it did wind me up never said anything.
Now I have new flooring i want them to take their shoes off in the hall, but not sure how without sounding rude I did think of putting a notice up but they will probably just ignore it.
Do I just ask them when they come to the door in the morning could they please remove their shoes before going into the livingroom

TheBTeam
06-06-2010, 05:33 PM
Yep go for it straight! Please could you take shoes off in the hall, i really need to take care of my new flooring, thanks.

I am fortunate in that most of my drop off and collections happen at the front door!

hayleychildcare
06-06-2010, 05:34 PM
i had a parent that always had high heels on and would walk straight into the Lounge every pick up time ( i have wood floor).

I just told her that to save my floor breaking from now parents are welcome into the hall way for collection but not lounge.

she wasnt very happy at first but she got used to it.

kindredspirits
06-06-2010, 05:34 PM
yes - with a smile say can you please take your shoes off before coming into the living room as the babies play on the floor and with laminate it will be easier for them to find bits to put in their mouth. Its your house - your rules - don't feel bad for sticking to them - it looks professional.

Mookins
06-06-2010, 05:43 PM
got a laminator today and have just laminated my sign to say no shoes beyond the hallway

will also say for hygeine reasons no shoes too...if they still do it, make them wait outside...we were daft and bought cream coloured carpets throughout:eek: as you can imagins the carpets are gross even with no shoes:( so i plan on having them thourly cleaned bfore i start x

Mouse
06-06-2010, 05:49 PM
Can you text parents this evening with a short message saying that as you've had the new flooring done you'd appreciate it if all parents would remove their shoes before coming in in the morning?

That way you don't have to have a discussion about it in the morning when they arrive & you're probably busy with other things.

Also, it gives parents notice to put on decent socks or wash their feet!!

TheBTeam
06-06-2010, 05:57 PM
Can you text parents this evening with a short message saying that as you've had the new flooring done you'd appreciate it if all parents would remove their shoes before coming in in the morning?

That way you don't have to have a discussion about it in the morning when they arrive & you're probably busy with other things.

Also, it gives parents notice to put on decent socks or wash their feet!!

Good idea!

mushpea
06-06-2010, 05:58 PM
I hve a parent who knows my rules but still walks accross my floor with her shoes on and dosent stop her son from doing the same either!:angry:
This week i shut the stairgate to the living room so when the child came in he couldnt get in there quickly like normal meaning i had time to say take shoes off because we dont want dirt in the living room,, i kept the gate shut till mum had gone as even though she could undo it she didnt and stayed in the hall! this is what i will do every day she drops off now.

tashaleee
06-06-2010, 07:01 PM
Have the same problem as we have also just laid a new floor in the living room - I decided to close the living room door and the kids can go the other route to the playroom rather than via the living room... I also dont let parents further than the front hall unless I have to otherwise some of them would stay for ages :thumbsup:

cs01
06-06-2010, 07:06 PM
If you do newsletters then you could mention something in that, something along the lines of to protect your new floors and in an effort to keep them clean for the children to play on, your house rule of no shoes must be adhered to. Maybe you could mention that the children follow by example so if parents could remove their shoes, this sets a good example to the children.

Hopefully they get the message, if not then there is nothing else for it other than to shout STOP AND PLEASE REMOVE YOUR SHOES at the top of your voice :laughing: That will startle them into doing it.

solly
06-06-2010, 07:09 PM
Thanks I have just txt them all to say due to new wood flooring put down I would appreciate it if all parents would remove their shoes before entering the livingroom or do dropoffs & pickups from either the front door or the hall.

I will also put it in my newsletter and put a notice up as well, they then might get the message

SmartKids
06-06-2010, 08:12 PM
I put it in my newsletter and say as they play on the floor it keeps is clean and have even said all the children are really good and know the rules but I still have the odd parent that comes through and I often say to her/him (same family members) I will just go and get the children - but they follow me through It makes me so :angry: but they just keep ignoring - Parents ehh

Spangles
06-06-2010, 08:14 PM
I would have thought they would all understand and be fine about it as you have new flooring.

It would be much harder to tell them to take their shoes off if there wasn't a new reason if you see what I mean!

Hope they are okay about it, I'm sure they will be!

x

LOOPYLISA
06-06-2010, 08:16 PM
i had a parent that always had high heels on and would walk straight into the Lounge every pick up time ( i have wood floor).

I just told her that to save my floor breaking from now parents are welcome into the hall way for collection but not lounge.

she wasnt very happy at first but she got used to it.

We have oak flooring and i have made the mistake of heels after a night out :blush: :panic:

RedDragon
06-06-2010, 08:17 PM
Also, if the children are old enough get them to tell the parents off - I ask the children if they could help me and they usually take on the job with great gusto:clapping: telling the parents what I really want to say :thumbsup:

Gizmo
06-06-2010, 08:20 PM
Get the mindees to make posters "hey mum take your shoes off" my dd ex cm had this and they were great

RedDragon
06-06-2010, 08:28 PM
or visit their houses after a cow pat filled field walk. (try saying that out loud it's a bit of a tongue twister lol)

Tinglesnark
06-06-2010, 08:34 PM
i always say in a loud and exuberent voice "morning/afternoon! shoes off everyone! dont want dirty shoes on our carpet! chop chop!" and then the adults usually take their cue lol
good luck :laughing:

solly
07-06-2010, 09:57 AM
This morning the parent who usually wears heels said i have flats on do i still need to take shoes off:angry: I just said yes as the children will be playing on the floor and need to keep it clean, I said she could say goodbye at the door if she preferred, she wanted to come in so she reluctantly took her shoes off.
Will see what the other parent i have does this evening as dad drops off at the door in the morning but mum likes to chat when she picks up in the evening.

Tinglesnark
07-06-2010, 11:24 AM
can you not head them off at the pass and have lo ready before the mother knocks and then take lo to the door with you?
x

Blue Boy
09-06-2010, 05:46 PM
At the end of the day it is your home and parents should respect that. Do you have house rules in your policy folder if so you could amend it to read "It is requested that everyone children or adults take off their shoes when coming into the house". Just make sure your own family are following the rule.

Trouble
09-06-2010, 06:08 PM
parents never take there shoes off:angry: :angry: also why sit your child on my sofa wwith dirty shoes on then take them off:angry: :angry: :angry:

imagine if we went to there house

MarpleJollytots
09-06-2010, 06:44 PM
I ask all mine to take shoes off as mindees are all crawling and all sorts of germs can be brought in on shoes !!!

margaret
09-06-2010, 06:49 PM
Anyone who comes in my house removes there shoes,kids dont come in from garden with shoes on either my house my rules,put a note on front door please remove shoes,if parents dont like it tough - but never had a problem.

Mookins
09-06-2010, 07:26 PM
NEWSLETTER...

dear all i am having to put up my hourly rate by 25% due to the fact you lot cant be :angry: to remember to take ya filthy shoes off

stay sun safe

x x x
this may work lol

Trouble
09-06-2010, 07:29 PM
NEWSLETTER...

dear all i am having to put up my hourly rate by 25% due to the fact you lot cant be :angry: to remember to take ya filthy shoes off

stay sun safe

x x x
this may work lol

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: