PDA

View Full Version : What's gonna happen to Childminders....

Leelee
06-06-2010, 09:14 AM
with this new government! They keep saying they're in it for the families but so far I have heard that the child trust fund's going; sure start grants for low income families are going; they want to increase school hours and make it 6 days a week; and they want nurseries to be government funded....where does that leave the lowly childminder??? And what about the kids quality of life, we already have the longest work hours/school hours in Europe and are children start school earlier than the rest of Europe too! :mad:

Hebs
06-06-2010, 09:22 AM
if they increase the school hours/days i'll defiantly home school :panic:

it was also on the news this morning that they will be reviewing child tax credits :panic:

Little Pumpkins
06-06-2010, 09:59 AM
reviewing them oh dear! theyve just told me ive been overpaid as well

i will also home school if the school week goes to six days

singingcactus
06-06-2010, 02:58 PM
if they increase the school hours/days i'll defiantly home school :panic:

Me too, both defiantly and definitely!

Pipsqueak
06-06-2010, 03:12 PM
increase to 6 days a week???? my kids will have the proverbial fit!!!! lol

as to whats gonna happen to minders? well I think we will carry on as we were/are. I think EYFS will be slimmed down and perhaps certain parts will be lifted. but for the main we will carry on doing what we do best - provide excellent care for the children.

aly
06-06-2010, 03:47 PM
The tax credits are going to change from being stopped from 50,000 which i think is right.

caz3007
06-06-2010, 03:56 PM
The tax credits are going to change from being stopped from 50,000 which i think is right.

I havent heard anything other than the tax credits will be less, but it would have to be the top end earners it affects, not the people on lower incomes or there would be more child poverty.

I dont think 6 day weeks for schools would work, what about family time

TheBTeam
06-06-2010, 04:01 PM
We struggle to pay for schools and teachers on a five day week, where would the money come from for a six day week!

onceinabluemoon
06-06-2010, 04:41 PM
6 days a week? Really?

Good I already homeschool, lol! :clapping:

No idea what they'll do with us, I'm still waiting with bated breath...

rickysmiths
06-06-2010, 04:47 PM
with this new government! They keep saying they're in it for the families but so far I have heard that the child trust fund's going; sure start grants for low income families are going; they want to increase school hours and make it 6 days a week; and they want nurseries to be government funded....where does that leave the lowly childminder??? And what about the kids quality of life, we already have the longest work hours/school hours in Europe nd are childaren start school earlier than the rest of Europe too! :mad:

I don't think this is in fact the case. In Germany for instance they start school at 7am and finish a 2pm. (both my children have been on exchanges and visits to friends in Germany so I know they do start at 7am). I always thought this was the case in France as well. I believe Denmark and Holland start earlier than our children do.

As for longer hours at school and going to a six day week. They are cutting budgets for schools now, a lot of Class Room Assistants will have to go, so where are they suddenly going to find the funds to pay the teachers, caretakers etc the longer hours?

funtoplay
06-06-2010, 04:55 PM
Hi,

My children start at 7.25 here in Cyprus!!!!! Its a british forces school.

Julia

The Juggler
06-06-2010, 05:01 PM
reviewing them oh dear! theyve just told me ive been overpaid as well

i will also home school if the school week goes to six days

surely with the cut backs they could never afford to pay teachers for 6 days a week !!!!!

littletreasures
06-06-2010, 05:02 PM
I took Leelee post to say they start here earlier meaning age wise.

Hebs
06-06-2010, 06:10 PM
I took Leelee post to say they start here earlier meaning age wise.

me too :thumbsup:

could you imagine telling teachers they have to work 6 days a week :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

littletreasures
06-06-2010, 06:19 PM
All my parents are teachers. I don't intend to work Saturdays so not sure what they would do.

singlewiththree
06-06-2010, 08:09 PM
[/COLOR]

I don't think this is in fact the case. In Germany for instance they start school at 7am and finish a 2pm. (both my children have been on exchanges and visits to friends in Germany so I know they do start at 7am). I always thought this was the case in France as well. I believe Denmark and Holland start earlier than our children do.

As for longer hours at school and going to a six day week. They are cutting budgets for schools now, a lot of Class Room Assistants will have to go, so where are they suddenly going to find the funds to pay the teachers, caretakers etc the longer hours?

I think maybe she meant ages in that we start children at 4 years where as most european countries formal education is a lot later.

Spangles
06-06-2010, 08:13 PM
I've not heard any of this! That's crazy! Can't see children being at school 6 days a week, parents aren't going to want that! When will we see our children? I couldn't bear it.

I really can't imagine that happening. Especially as you're not 'allowed' to take children out of school for holidays - you wouldn't even be able to go away for a weekend!

The Juggler
06-06-2010, 08:18 PM
6 years of age. I think that's a brilliant idea - follow european schooling where it works!!! I'm all for that. Longer at childminders followed by longer at nursery.:)

Trouble
06-06-2010, 08:22 PM
I think we could learn alot from foreign schools and how they work them

wendywu
06-06-2010, 08:44 PM
I dont see how they could force you to send your child to school for 6 days, when the working week for adults is 40 hours.:panic:

miffy
06-06-2010, 08:49 PM
I can't see the reasoning behind it - it would cost more (teacher's wages etc). I thought this government were trying to save money :rolleyes:

Miffy xx

Ripeberry
06-06-2010, 10:22 PM
They might be thinking of doing the European school week. When I was a child I lived in Switzerland and we went to school 6 days a week, even the nursery children.
But we only had 4 full days, the Wednesday was half-day from 8.30am until 12.30pm and Saturday morning 8.30am-12.30pm.
I quite enjoyed those half days as the Swiss TV was all geared up for the kids on a Wednesday pm with lots of cartoons, but that was back in the 1970s, might have changed by now?

Don't know how it would work in the UK, as shops and businesses are open all the time and don't knock off on a Wednesday afternoon like they used to :rolleyes:

Chimps Childminding
06-06-2010, 10:48 PM
Can't see how 6 day school will work, surely teachers aren't going to want to work 6 days a week. Would that mean having to have 2 part time teachers for each class??? My guys would have had an absolute fit if they were still at school :laughing:

AnnieM
07-06-2010, 07:09 AM
My DS (now almost 21) went to an independent school, he always went to school on Saturdays, but it was fun activities like archery, swimming, sports etc., plus science, so he always enjoyed it. The children I look after go to the same school and they enjoy it too, plus they don't mind if you go away for the weekend. If they did it like that it may work as in effect it is just likethe children doing a hobby. The school days are also longer, 8.30 - 4pm, (this is why they break up on 1st July for the summer).How they would fund it though I have no idea. :panic:

emmadines
07-06-2010, 08:53 AM
with this new government! They keep saying they're in it for the families but so far I have heard that the child trust fund's going; sure start grants for low income families are going; they want to increase school hours and make it 6 days a week; and they want nurseries to be government funded....where does that leave the lowly childminder??? And what about the kids quality of life, we already have the longest work hours/school hours in Europe and are children start school earlier than the rest of Europe too! :mad:

is this the "baby bonds"? I have 2 of them (one for each of my kiddies)

what happens to those if they go??? I be expecting all my money back if thats the case!!

caz3007
07-06-2010, 09:14 AM
is this the "baby bonds"? I have 2 of them (one for each of my kiddies)

what happens to those if they go??? I be expecting all my money back if thats the case!!

I am sure that those children that have them, will keep them, they cant very well take it back, but no one else will get it in the future. TBH, my DS got it but did feel its something that isnt necessary. Also I think they should change the Child Benefit system so that only parents who earn under a certain amount get it, surely if you earn millions, you dont need it

LOOPYLISA
07-06-2010, 09:51 AM
I am sure that those children that have them, will keep them, they cant very well take it back, but no one else will get it in the future. TBH, my DS got it but did feel its something that isnt necessary. Also I think they should change the Child Benefit system so that only parents who earn under a certain amount get it, surely if you earn millions, you dont need it

I agree with child benefit :thumbsup:

aly
07-06-2010, 10:01 AM
I agree with child benefit :thumbsup:
me too....I'm sure the royals are eligible with little ones...with their money :panic:

the child trust funds are the ones that started recently {my nearly 9 year old missed them as he is too old}...they will stay where they are until they reach the age to receive them, but they will stop very son

snufflepuff
07-06-2010, 10:10 AM
I agree with them getting rid of the child trust fund vouchers. £250 per child born (£500 for those on low incomes) plus the same again when they are 7 is a massive amount of money that can be better spent elsewhere.
I will continue to add to my sons trust fund account. I think it is my responsibility to save for his future when possible anyway, not the governments.

Bitsy Beans
07-06-2010, 11:01 AM
It's about time they sorted out the tax credits system. It's ridiculous that a family with several kids can earn more money NOT working than getting a job. Where is the incentive for self improvement and being a benefit to society. Welfare state bill is going to cripple the country and cannot be sustained. Children are a lifestyle choice - I'd love to be a SAHM but cannot afford not to bring any wages in - therefore my choice to have kids has implications which I work around hence I became a CM.
Help should be available for those who most need it, not for the terminally bone idle.........
Mind you the change in the threshold for £50K for reciving tax credits is a bit of smoke and mirrors - my brother and SIL both earn over the £50K and as such are not entitled to CTC etc - so getting rid of something for those that aren't entitled to it anyway is a bit of a gimmick.
As for Child Trust Funds - waste of time. My DS's fund is actually worth LESS then the original £250 :rolleyes:

As for a longer school week - can't see it happening - I wish they'd revise the age they start school. I am dreading my DD starting as she's going to be 3, one of the youngest there. I think that is just way too early :(

caz3007
07-06-2010, 11:07 AM
I agree the benefits system really needs an overhall, trouble is if the government want to get lots of the lazy ones off the system, where are the jobs for them to go to....still there should be some sort of community service provision for long term unemployed.

I also think that if a family continue to have children whilst on benefits they should not get their money upped every time, perhaps allow one child extra whilst claiming, but all subsequent ones should be non profit making (:D IFYWIM)

jelly15
07-06-2010, 11:12 AM
I feel children start school far too young in this country, full time formal education should not begin until they are 6. In the countries that do wait until they are 6, the children are no more or less academically advanced.

AnnieM
07-06-2010, 11:17 AM
[QUOTE=Bitsy Beans;720759]

As for a longer school week - can't see it happening - I wish they'd revise the age they start school. I am dreading my DD starting as she's going to be 3, one of the youngest there. I think that is just way too early :([/QUOTE

Do they legally have to start at such a young age? I know it was a while ago, but my ds was going to start nursery at 3 but I just thought he was way too young and not ready so I held off until
the following year. I don't really know
how it works anymore as most of the lo's I looked after all seem to start as soon as they're 3 which is way too young IMO, they are still babies. :panic:

sweets
07-06-2010, 11:20 AM
children do not legally have to be in education till the term after their 5th birthday. personally this is when i would send them. the only downside would be is that they would have to go straight into their year group which by then could be year 1 instead of reception.

Bitsy Beans
07-06-2010, 11:22 AM
[QUOTE=Bitsy Beans;720759]

As for a longer school week - can't see it happening - I wish they'd revise the age they start school. I am dreading my DD starting as she's going to be 3, one of the youngest there. I think that is just way too early :([/QUOTE

Do they legally have to start at such a young age? I know it was a while ago, but my ds was going to start nursery at 3 but I just thought he was way too young and not ready so I held off until
the following year. I don't really know
how it works anymore as most of the lo's I looked after all seem to start as soon as they're 3 which is way too young IMO, they are still babies. :panic:

You're right nursery isn't compulsory. BUT it means my DD at 4 will jump from nothing to a full school day and I don't think that's much better. I am not sure how my DS is going cope with a full day come September either and he'll be 5.......I just think before the age of 6 is just too soon.

AnnieM
07-06-2010, 12:50 PM
Thanks, wasn't sure if it was still the same. Could your DD not start at next intake? I know not all schools do several intakes though. I agree, we are nowhere near flexible enough in this country! :mad: I think 6/7would be a much better age to start and leave at 18 minimum, more kids would have an idea of what they want from life by then too. :o

Cazz
07-06-2010, 01:42 PM
It's about time they sorted out the tax credits system. It's ridiculous that a family with several kids can earn more money NOT working than getting a job.

mmm... My first ever mindees - 3 children - have just finished with me purely because she has stopped working because she will be better off :rolleyes:

Well she may be but I'm not now!!